Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happiness is......

• 17-02-2013 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

What do you aspire to gain from life? What makes you happy? I'm watching a talk given by Sam Harris about death and how most people will regret what they wasted their energies on, not necessarily working too much but more what their focus was, although I imagine there is some overlap. So what makes you happy - money, status, power, a sense of contributing to society ..... I think when I was younger I was certainly driven by a need to achieve status, then money and now probably a need to feel my contribution matters in some way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Having a really nice cup of tea. That is a moment of happiness for me. A nice of cup of tea, a biscuit or two, and something on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SunKing

.... a warm gun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

thanks. Loads of thanks. And money. And Butterflies. On toast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

a cigar called hamlet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Happiness is a cigar called hamlet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

a cigar called hamlet
    Not the hairy hamlet though....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Happiness is whatever makes you happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Beer and a blowjob!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Waking up in the morning to discover one of my two boys have snoke into the bed and have an arm wrapped around me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

barney 20v wrote: »
    Not the hairy hamlet though....;)

I think you're mixing them up with smoking the pink cigars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

freedom.

racso1975 wrote: »
    Waking up in the morning to discover one of my two boys have snoke into the bed and have an arm wrapped around me
    bigamist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Getting your belly rubbed while having a big stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭doulikeit

Tits, beer, pancakes, watching fat people fall

Happiness is watching Kieren Fallon ride any winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Obviously money. I'd be tge happiest person alive if I won the euromillions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

am aspiring to gain as many animals as possible,they are what makes life in own circumstance.
    chickens,cats and horses!
    it has been a lifelong dream to get a horse [doesnt matter if its a miniture shetland or unbroken as riding isnt necesary] have had profound connections with them since a young age and dont connect/interact with humans so woud dearly love a horse.
    the cheap thing is buying them [not that theyre cheap in this country mind] the expensive thing is insurance,shoeing and farrier visits,worming,hay, stable rent etc and living in residential care have not got the ability to just get up and go look after them as we do not have enough staff per person to just do that when we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Happiness for me is being able to be my weird self and having people who still love me anyway :p

spankysue wrote: »
    Happiness for me is being able to be my weird self and having people who still love me anyway :p
    good luck with that:p

• Advertisement

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    What do you aspire to gain from life? What makes you happy? I'm watching a talk given by Sam Harris about death and how most people will regret what they wasted their energies on, not necessarily working too much but more what their focus was, although I imagine there is some overlap. So what makes you happy - money, status, power, a sense of contributing to society

The Sam Harris speeches touched me too. Meeting him and talking to him is the main reason I took up Vipassana.

What I have learned since that meeting is that "happiness" is hard to attain when you judge yourself against the standards of others. No matter how hard you work or try there is always someone better than you. Unless you are the world champion in your field - which is a rare few - you will always be "less than perfect".

I have been abundantly happy since I changed my focus. I now judge myself against one standard only - I judge the person I am today against the person I was yesterday. Every day I strive to better that person. Intellectually - knowledge - physically - "Spiritually" (in the harris sense of that word) - morally (again) - or whatever - I just work to better the me of yesterday using the me of today.

And every day it brings me no end of joy.

The rest of my joy comes from finding ways of using those skills and attributes to bring joy - happiness - fun - or alleviation of pain into the lives of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

C21 H30 O2 or C2 H5 OH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

having a healthy bowel movements

"Sam Harris touched me". Hmm. Contemporary and topical. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

....those rare moments when for whatever reason, I feel well and truly free. Free from societal pressures and expectations; free from any mental anguish...just free.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Pottler wrote: »
    good luck with that:p

You wouldn't believe how well it's worked for me ;)

wardy2 wrote: »
    having a healthy bowel movements

I'm as regular as a Kennedy funeral, you could set your watch by my arse :D

Pottler wrote: »
    "Sam Harris touched me". Hmm. Contemporary and topical. I like it.

He just gets away with it by saying "It was not me - it was ben Stiller" though.

taxAHcruel wrote: »

The Sam Harris speeches touched me too. Meeting him and talking to him is the main reason I took up Vipassana.

What I have learned since that meeting is that "happiness" is hard to attain when you judge yourself against the standards of others. No matter how hard you work or try there is always someone better than you. Unless you are the world champion in your field - which is a rare few - you will always be "less than perfect".

I have been abundantly happy since I changed my focus. I now judge myself against one standard only - I judge the person I am today against the person I was yesterday. Every day I strive to better that person. Intellectually - knowledge - physically - "Spiritually" (in the harris sense of that word) - morally (again) - or whatever - I just work to better the me of yesterday using the me of today.

And every day it brings me no end of .

The rest of my joy comes from finding ways of using those skills and attributes to bring joy - happiness - fun - or alleviation of pain into the lives of others.

That's nice ur nice i wish there was more People like u and less bastards bringing misery

• Advertisement

doulikeit wrote: »
    That's nice ur nice i wish there was more People like u and less bastards bringing misery

I am sure I bring misery to some people in my life unintentionally. My neighbour hates me like you would not believe for example :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Happiness is being selfish and putting myself first always. The net result being I am happy and therefore can share a huge amount of happiness with the people I love, including friends and family and also my beautiful Brazilian girlfriend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    What do you aspire to gain from life? What makes you happy? I'm watching a talk given by Sam Harris about death and how most people will regret what they wasted their energies on, not necessarily working too much but more what their focus was, although I imagine there is some overlap. So what makes you happy - money, status, power, a sense of contributing to society ..... I think when I was younger I was certainly driven by a need to achieve status, then money and now probably a need to feel my contribution matters in some way.
    I did that in reverse. When I was younger I had little interest in money or status, I found my way to working with people with needs. I gave very selflessy. As I grew older I realised to take care of my own needs stopped putting other people first. I am more driven as a result. And happier. (and accepted and appreciated and respected)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Happiness is being able to be yourself and not have anyone judge you! :)

And tea, its happiness in a cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

I am sure I bring misery to some people in my life unintentionally. My neighbour hates me like you would not believe for example :)

You should assault him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

My daughter. Or beer, weed and football/mma.

• Advertisement

IceFjoem wrote: »
    You should assault him.

If you listen to him my "way of life" is an "assault" on him every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Happiness is a springer spaniel ****ting in a field

If you listen to him my "way of life" is an "assault" on him every day.

Would you prefer he died

Would you prefer he died

No - I would like to bring joy or alleviation of pain into his life as per my earlier posts in the thread.

Besides his distress does bring a certain amount of schadenfreude into my life. His objections to me and mine are purely religious and it ties him up in knots.

Only this morning he was flicking holy water over my fence and most of it seemed to be splashing onto HIS side of the fence.

No - I would like to bring joy or alleviation of pain into his life as per my earlier posts in the thread.

Besides his distress does bring a certain amount of schadenfreude into my life. His objections to me and mine are purely religious and it ties him up in knots.

Only this morning he was flicking holy water over my fence and most of it seemed to be splashing onto HIS side of the fence.

You must tell him this is quite inappropriate and don't let it happen again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Few choons, be grand

You must tell him this is quite inappropriate and don't let it happen again

Tried all that. :) I think if I say any more though the mods are going to have to split all our posts off into a "What to do about TaxAhCruels neighbour" thread cause we are WAY off topic and i dont wanna ruin the ops thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Tried all that. :) I think if I say any more though the mods are going to have to split all our posts off into a "What to do about TaxAhCruels neighbour" thread cause we are WAY off topic and i dont wanna ruin the ops thread.

Sounds like a good thread!

IceFjoem wrote: »
    Sounds like a good thread!

I think I may have done that thread before while drunk. Must check my post history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Sitting down to a nice hot bowl of coddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Muff diving without having to spit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

.... An illusion

Actually from my old usenet days I have to admit one of the slogans that burned itself across by skull was "Happiness is a warm puppy"

If memory serves it was a "group invasion" from alt.sex.pics.bestialtiy"

Oddly I am not sure if I miss usenet or not. Given the above probably not. But that place rocked.

I do miss Alt.barney.die.die.die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Actually from my old usenet days I have to admit one of the slogans that burned itself across by skull was "Happiness is a warm puppy"

If memory serves it was a "group invasion" from alt.sex.pics.bestialtiy"

Oddly I am not sure if I miss usenet or not. Given the above probably not. But that place rocked.

I do miss Alt.barney.die.die.die
    Dafuq did I just read ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

sex!

• Advertisement
Advertisement