Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happiness is......

Comments

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Dafuq did I just read ?

nothing. nothing at all. Usenet survivors are best ignored :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I am sure I bring misery to some people in my life unintentionally. My neighbour hates me like you would not believe for example :)
    nothing. nothing at all. Usenet survivors are best ignored :)

In a nutshell - please tell us why your neighbour hates you please. It would make me happy:D

I was watching a TED talk last night on happiness - and the gist of it was, no matter what you are doing, do that only. Rambling thoughts, no matter if they are good or bad make us unhappy.
    I presume this is where you get the really tripe saying 'The precious present' (*insert puke smiley*).... Seems there is something to it though.

I am happy pottering around my house. It doesn't matter what I am doing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

C10 H12 N2 O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I want details about the neighbor story :)

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    In a nutshell - please tell us why your neighbour hates you please. It would make me happy

I live in a truple. With two women. The reason it p's him off I believe is because it is totally against his personal interpretation of the bible. He is.... rather devout.

The fun thing about being from maynooth... and the fun thing about teaching a free vipassana class... is that i get to meet some of the trainee priests around here.... and i have one ACTUAL priest who comes to some of my sessions....

So... I live a life of sin.... and i am visited regularly by a priest..... and two people who want to be priests......

and my neighbor is.... rather.... traditional..... I hope this explains his..... ire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

taxAHcruel wrote: »

I live in a truple. With two women. The reason it p's him off I believe is because it is totally against his personal interpretation of the bible. He is.... rather devout.

The fun thing about being from maynooth... and the fun thing about teaching a free vipassana class... is that i get to meet some of the trainee priests around here.... and i have one ACTUAL priest who comes to some of my sessions....

So... I live a life of sin.... and i am visited regularly by a priest..... and two people who want to be priests......

and my neighbor is.... rather.... traditional..... I hope this explains his..... ire.

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Happiness for me is...

• enjoying what I do for a living
    • spending time with smart, interesting people
    • reading good books
    • winning arguments on the internet
    • not unduly disrupting the happiness of others in seeking my own happinessv(may conflict with previous point)
    • not having to deal with unnecessary and stupid conflict
    • sometimes finding someone with whom one shares a special connection in some way
    • getting a bit drunk now and then

I'm generally fairly content in life, but, thankfully, it's never perfect.

winning arguments on the internet

Had anyone EVER done this? Ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

going to the bathroom when bursting

Had anyone EVER done this? Ever?

See here* for definitive proofs of this wonder of the digital age.

*Warning: content is subjective, meaning may depend on interpretation of the following terms: "winning," "arguments," "internet" and "the."

^ Please yourself :p

Love it - I can see how that might annoy him alright. Although I would bet a heck of a lot of money - at the core though of it, it is not his devoutness that is the problem rather than jealousy. Especially if ye are happy - that would really annoy the fcuk out of him.

Enjoy - and I regularly win arguments on the internet (in my own mind) :rolleyes:;)

L
    Enjoy - and I regularly win arguments on the internet (in my own mind) :rolleyes:;)

NO YOU DON'T!!*

*adds to list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Dafuq is a truple?

• Advertisement

NO YOU DON'T!!*

*adds to list

OH, YES I DO!
    smash wrote: »
    Dafuq is a truple?
    I could have bet my first-born on you turning up in this thread after that was posted.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Piss shivers first thing in the morning. Delightful.

it is not his devoutness that is the problem rather than jealousy. Especially if ye are happy - that would really annoy the fcuk out of him.

I have a catch 22 there actually.

Id like to think the reason he hates me so much is cos he is so "devout".

But when you are "devout" you do not covet.... so if he is serious about his faith then he doesnt hate me because of jealousy.

cos then he would have to covet...

Dafuq is a truple?

A threesome between two full-grown adults and a dwarf.

It's two and a half, halfway between a couple and threesome. Like the popular sitcom Two and a Half Men, only you feel cleaner afterwards.

Dafuq is a truple?

I am ashamed to say I put "dafuq" into urban dictionary.

• Advertisement

taxAHcruel wrote: »

I am ashamed to say I put "dafuq" into urban dictionary.
    I tried with truple but got no results!

OH, YES I DO!

I could have bet my first-born on you turning up in this thread after that was posted.:)

EDIT: Did I post my reply in the wrong thread.... Am very confused.

Damn, I never thought anyone'd come back with that reply. Now anyone can defeat any argument I make.

*closes account*

Also, I'll say you did post this in the wrong thread, on the chance that you're drunk and I'll get a cheap, petty laugh from your confusion.

I tried with truple but got no results!

Im kinda happy about that i must say. I might have..... actually... invented a word :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• winning arguments on the internet
    • not having to deal with unnecessary and stupid conflict
    does not compute.... :pac:

I just want to make sure I'm fapping to what I think I'm fapping to...

does not compute.... :pac:

It might be stupid, but if there's the esteem of anonymous people as determined by approval systems like "thanks" and "likes" to be won, it's never unnecessary.

*searches for racist thread to get worked up by*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I have a catch 22 there actually.

Id like to think the reason he hates me so much is cos he is so "devout".

But when you are "devout" you do not covet.... so if he is serious about his faith then he doesnt hate me because of jealousy.

cos then he would have to covet...

See above for the fundamental flaw in your deductive reasoning... Albeit I do not know your neighbour, but very few people in Ireland are actually devout Catholics. They talk the talk, but do not walk the walk.
    So although your neighbour may have all the hallmarks of being a devout Christian/Xic - it is a vastly different question: does he actually practise his faith?
    If he did practice his faith - then he should have no problem with you.

By virtue of the fact that he does have a problem with you would mean that he is not a practicing Christian/Xic.

See above for the fundamental flaw in your deductive reasoning... Albeit I do not know your neighbour, but very few people in Ireland are actually devout Catholics. They talk the talk, but do not walk the walk.
    So although your neighbour may have all the hallmarks of being a devout Christian/Xic - it is a vastly different question: does he actually practise his faith?
    If he did practice his faith - then he should have no problem with you.

By virtue of the fact that he does have a problem with you would mean that he is not a practicing Christian/Xic.

Can I put you in a room with him?

Damn, I never thought anyone'd come back with that reply. Now anyone can defeat any argument I make.

*closes account*

Also, I'll say you did post this in the wrong thread, on the chance that you're drunk and I'll get a cheap, petty laugh from your confusion.

When I posted the reply first - I was really confused as they are two different conversation goings on in here & the first few posts of the third page had nothing got to do with my answer :confused:

Anyway: closing accounts is thataway
    >
    :)

• Advertisement

When I posted the reply first - I was really confused as they are two different conversation goings on in here & the first few posts of the third page had nothing got to do with my answer :confused:

Anyway: closing accounts is thataway
    >
    :)

I'm slightly drunk and therefore in no condition to close my account.

I'll wait until I've won every argument on the internet, and, by extension, solved all of the world's major problems.

Can I put you in a room with him?

You could, but it would achieve nothing. One of the other peculiarities of human nature - if you try and persuade someone that their course of action is wrong, ill-advised or some-such, they will become even more entrenched in it.

Although if the aim of me being put in the room was too create fireworks, then that could also be arranged. Although I do have a rule of not entering discussions/arguments with religious types - it helps my happiness if I don't enter them :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Finding a mountain bike propped up against a wall, in a lane late last night made me pretty happy... I think it was the rediscovering the joys, of biking with the added enchancement that somebody might be in pursuit

I do have a rule of not entering discussions/arguments with religious types - it helps my happiness if I don't enter them :P

I live BESIDE one. It gets... tiring.......

I live BESIDE one. It gets... tiring.......

One of my neighbours - about six houses up is a reformed religious type. She is a nazi-Xic - it is shocking how scary it is listening to her. She has had a hard life, so turned to religion. She has an absolute conviction that everything in the bible is true. I don't talk to her. Pass her and that is it - conversations go no further than the weather (but in a really friendly manner).

I find it hard to hide how a-religious I am & it really upsets these people, so it is best if I avoid.

Tell him - you have given up talking about religion for Lent :D;):p (could you imagine???) Seriously don't talk about it - because there is no common ground & neither of ye is trying to get anywhere with it.

Tell him - you have given up talking about religion for Lent :D;):p (could you imagine???) Seriously don't talk about it - because there is no common ground & neither of ye is trying to get anywhere with it.

Its not that easy. I give a vipassana class. My class has one REAL priest in it. And two kids from the local seminary. And a few guys from the local AA.....

.... all in all this guy has it in his head that there are all sorts of people who should be finding "god" but are finding ME instead.

"not talking about it" is not gonna click with this guy.

He literally sits outside my garden on vipassana night and accosts the priest and would be priests on the way out... quoting them scripture that he thinks precludes them from being there in the first place.

If I give up anything from lent it would be giving up NOT talking to him about it rather than giving up talking to him about it :) (i almost tried to write "giving up not not not talking to him about it" but i wasnt sure i could write it in a funny way)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

You live beside philologos dont you? :p

Nah. But I hear London is nice no time of year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

...being at a concert and getting to see an amazingly talented band or artist perform live.

...getting drunk in a good way and appreciating the people in your life more.

...recovering, however briefly, from a dark period where I'm able to get out of bed and believe that things might get better.

...something that eludes me 95% of the time but isn't entirely out of my reach just yet.

• Advertisement

...getting drunk in a good way and appreciating the people in your life more.

knowing how to get drunk in a good way and knowing WHEN and HOW to stop :)

IF you have sorted that one out, youre a better man than me.

He literally sits outside my garden on vipassana night and accosts the priest and would be priests on the way out... quoting them scripture that he thinks precludes them from being there in the first place.

If I give up anything from lent it would be giving up NOT talking to him about it rather than giving up talking to him about it :) (i almost tried to write "giving up not not not talking to him about it" but i wasnt sure i could write it in a funny way)

Let the priests' and AA'ers sort that out themselves. Both lots are well used to listening to sh*te and won't take it on board. Both lots of them will be used to the born again 'type' preacher and know exactly what he is. I guarantee they nod, smile, walk on and don't engage.

You do the same. Pass him. Think about ringing the guards, maybe because he is harassing people coming in and out of your home.

If he starts off on the religious tripe any other time, tell him you have to go as... you left the kettle on, immersion on, bath is running, appt with a doctor, expecting a call...... Just excuse yourself nicely and go.

Let the priests' and AA'ers sort that out themselves.

To be honest me and the gfs take it in our stride. It doesn't REALLY bother us. For us it is just a joke and a laugh. Gives me something to write about on BOARDS when my life is otherwise not that interesting. I am a bore!

But I have to admit the fact he rings the college, the local vacectomy (ok i dont know who you ring to complain about a priest so that was the best word I could think of) to complain about the priest that DOES take my class..... it is starting to get to me..... and your "heart in the right place pacifist" position on it does make a lot of sense.... until you put up with it for awhile :)

But even then you dont wanna get angry. You just look for monthy python style ways to make his life worse. Not that I have YET. I just ignore him so far. But his future if he keeps this up is... not bright... and its not orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

knowing how to get drunk in a good way and knowing WHEN and HOW to stop :)

IF you have sorted that one out, youre a better man than me.

Doesn't always work, but when it does it works well! :)

Doesn't always work, but when it does it works well! :)

I know. Ive seen it on the way PAST and it always looks good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Winning a boxing match.

Those who box understand what I mean.

• Advertisement

Winning a boxing match.

Those who box understand what I mean.

As a non-boxer, I'd always assumed that winning a boxing match was an incredibly unhappy experience.

As a non-boxer, I'd always assumed that winning a boxing match was an incredibly unhappy experience.

That's an incredibly weird thing to think.

Incredibly odd.

You've been training hard for weeks for a fight, you engage in your sporting event [the bout] and you win. It's the same as winning a tennis match. Would you think tennis players are incredibly unhappy after they win a tennis match?

But even then you dont wanna get angry. You just look for monthy python style ways to make his life worse. Not that I have YET. I just ignore him so far. But his future if he keeps this up is... not bright... and its not orange.

I'd go to the guards - the whole thing sounds dodgy. See if they will give him a verbal warning to leave you alone.

I know some people will attack me for this but I'll say it anyway.

Happiness is taking drugs that you like.

I'd go to the guards - the whole thing sounds dodgy. See if they will give him a verbal warning to leave you alone.

In my experience the guards are mostly ineffectual. There is only so much they can do... and only in so many situations. Normally sending them around to a guys house like that is just saying "Youre freaking me out.... but youre doing so in a way that I can do nothing about and the law can do nothing about..... but hey lets make them knock on the door just so you know youre getting to me...."

Unless you have an actual _case_ against someone.... id never recommend calling the cops. Otherwise it is all just show.

• Advertisement
Advertisement