Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LRC slash pretend library

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

Have any of you brought it up as an issue considering that the Students Union elections are on?

While I understand that how many piss-ups you can organise is probably the prime electioneering point, surely if enough of you mobilise and voice your concerns then it has to be raised as electioneering issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Have any of you brought it up as an issue considering that the Students Union elections are on?

While I understand that how many piss-ups you can organise is probably the prime electioneering point, surely if enough of you mobilise and voice your concerns then it has to be raised as electioneering issue.

The platforms people were trying to get elected on as far as I see were a far cry from anything academic based. I wouldnt see any point in bringing it up as all you'd get is lies and false promises anyway, no candidate is gonna tell a prospective voter anything they dont want to hear. And I'd be very surprised if any of them would go against the grain of having the craic by publicly telling the student body they intended to try sterilise the library.

Once elected they will be busy organising piss ups too so I'd be confident in saying the student union would be the last place to go with this issue. I'll give my feedback at the end of the year to the student services in the hope they try adopt a stricter approach from the start of next year. With people having gotten use to the way things are and the end of year approaching I doubt there is anything that can be done to have an immediate effect.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Shame for those in their final year who could do with a decent library this year. Hopefully the college can implement something over the summer to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

Guys this is an annual issue that never gets resolved because not enough fuss is made by students and if it is left until the end of the year then it is swept under the carpet in the hope that those who raised the issue will either has graduated or forgotten the following year.

As I have said earlier it has to be driven by the students as you are the guys who it directly affects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Guys this is an annual issue that never gets resolved because not enough fuss is made by students and if it is left until the end of the year then it is swept under the carpet in the hope that those who raised the issue will either has graduated or forgotten the following year.

As I have said earlier it has to be driven by the students as you are the guys who it directly affects.

I suppose you're right. Moaning about these issues while not actively trying to get them resolved wont achieve much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I don't even bother going up to the third floor of the library if I want to study, its a glorified second SU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 NedNoodles

It's been nice and quiet so far over Easter thank God!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

NedNoodles wrote: »
    It's been nice and quiet so far over Easter thank God!

This is something you can actually thank God for!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scone190

Its the biggest joke of a "Library" ! The top floor should be left with the tables for group work only not every floor!! It s also a state everytime I go in ...Is it that hard for people just to take their rubbish with them !!Its more a social spot then a library the mount of couples etc on the third floor is annoying its the bloody like the foundry

Scone190 wrote: »
    Its the biggest joke of a "Library" ! The top floor should be left with the tables for group work only not every floor!! It s also a state everytime I go in ...Is it that hard for people just to take their rubbish with them !!Its more a social spot then a library the mount of couples etc on the third floor is annoying its the bloody like the foundry

Its society today im afraid and it seems the general attitude is to suck it up. An attitude which absolutely boils my blood and i feel helpless. :mad:

The attitude to rubbish is particularly sickening and its not limited to the college to be fair. I live just outside a small village in South Tipperary and we could have a lovely village and surrounding areas bar only the toxic attitude of certain civilians. I see bags of rubbish dumped in wooded areas and non biodegradable things like aluminium cans just thrown sporadically on the road amongst many other things. Shameful carry on. Its a real Monkey see-monkey do thing and if we are shown a careless attitude to rubbish disposal when we are young then what can we expect of the next generation only the same as we pass it on

There is little ITCarlow (or any other college or organisation) can do about peoples attitude to rubbish or recycling. Perhaps increase various waste disposal points all over the campus (general, paper, plastic, etc). The amount of paper cups and plastic bottles i have bring home in order to avoid throwing them in the general rubbish bin in the college annoys me. Plastic bottles in particular are used in the production of polyester garments. Simple things could make some small difference. But while they could impose punishments for x, y and z, it wont make a squat of difference if people dont realise the exact implications of their 'disposal methods' and the knock on effect it could have down the line. They also dont realise the downright ignorance and disrespect it shows to fellow citizens and this irresponsible attitude we have that someone else is paid to tidy up after us. They shouldn't have to-full stop.
    We are creating bigger more pointless landfills by taking the course of action when we could dispose perfectly recyclable material in a proper manner and make a valid contribution.

Of course the sad thing is idealisms like this are seen as pie in the sky, airy fairy stuff.

We could have such a great world if only we'd wake up and realise it.

• Advertisement

It's also too fecking hot. Melting at the moment, drains your energy and hard to study...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

It's also too fecking hot. Melting at the moment, drains your energy and hard to study...
    Agreed! Went in there this morning for a while, almost combusted with the heat and left very shortly after I went in. At least it's not freezing cold, I suppose that's something :)

entropi wrote: »
    Agreed! Went in there this morning for a while, almost combusted with the heat and left very shortly after I went in. At least it's not freezing cold, I suppose that's something :)

I shouldn't complain, used to stay in as long as possible in the winter cause the heating in my apartment is ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leesaunders

Bit late coming to this thread but, an idea I toyed with was sitting on the center circle of the soccer pitches and doing some study there. Since all the FAI heads seem to gather in the LRC to have a good old chin wag.

Bit late coming to this thread but, an idea I toyed with was sitting on the center circle of the soccer pitches and doing some study there. Since all the FAI heads seem to gather in the LRC to have a good old chin wag.

In fairness there's people from all courses doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leesaunders

Ah I know that but it more obvious with them.

Poor ****ers have a uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Glad to see this is still an issue! I was both part of the issue in my early years and fiercely sshing by the end of my years in the college. The problem to me was always a building containing class rooms, offices, two floors of pc's, group study area's, air horn alarm on the elevator and Spanish students congregating on the steps is completely unsuitable for the limited quiet study area on the ground floor.

The whole building is such an open space. Even if the people around you are quiet you get the noise of the foot fall between classes and people hanging around on other floors. A dedicated library and study area is required.

It is also the downside of attending a college that is 'great craic'. Certainly in my day there was a large percentage of chancers, coasters and people who perhaps were not in the course they necessarily wanted to be in. This does not not excuse peoples behavior in library but it is a factor. Let me wrap up this paragraph by saying I am not belittling the college here, I received a valuable education, but the 'great craic' attitude does exist among some students.

I have returned to the college recently to use the sports facilities and the investment on that side appears to have been huge. Which is great for the college and the local area. However, I would be interested to visit the library to see if it has changed since my time. Judging by the comments here it remains the same which would suggest the sports element of the college is over taking the academic element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Glad to see this is still an issue! I was both part of the issue in my early years and fiercely sshing by the end of my years in the college. The problem to me was always a building containing class rooms, offices, two floors of pc's, group study area's, air horn alarm on the elevator and Spanish students congregating on the steps is completely unsuitable for the limited quiet study area on the ground floor.

The whole building is such an open space. Even if the people around you are quiet you get the noise of the foot fall between classes and people hanging around on other floors. A dedicated library and study area is required.

It is also the downside of attending a college that is 'great craic'. Certainly in my day there was a large percentage of chancers, coasters and people who perhaps were not in the course they necessarily wanted to be in. This does not not excuse peoples behavior in library but it is a factor. Let me wrap up this paragraph by saying I am not belittling the college here, I received a valuable education, but the 'great craic' attitude does exist among some students.

I have returned to the college recently to use the sports facilities and the investment on that side appears to have been huge. Which is great for the college and the local area. However, I would be interested to visit the library to see if it has changed since my time. Judging by the comments here it remains the same which would suggest the sports element of the college is over taking the academic element.

I don't think 'great craic' has anything to do with the problem here. Universities or Colleges shouldn't be a depressing place, students must have fun and that shouldn't stop you from getting good grades.

Regarding classrooms being part of the LRC, I believe that is a valid point. What we need are more areas like the quiet room. Maybe those classrooms could be converted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

RealistSpy wrote: »
    I don't think 'great craic' has anything to do with the problem here. Universities or Colleges shouldn't be a depressing place, students must have fun and that shouldn't stop you from getting good grades.

Im not debating that. And Im not arguing my point but just to elaborate, I do feel that the there is a percentage of the student population that dont particulalry care how they get on. As a reuslt the LRC is seen as a hangout / bird spotting location. This is a factor in all colleges however in a small library it only takes a few of these types to dominate the atmosphere. Not the entire problem but certainly a factor imo.

• Advertisement

True, 3rd level education is tough, and it should not in any way be a depressing place to be. You need to enjoy your course, and the place in which that happens. That being said, a place like a library is supposed to be a place of study, not too loud and certainly not overbearing with people having the craic/bit of banter.

I don't bother going near the top floor anymore, it's pointless trying to study unless you have some good headphones and loud music (and the loud music thus renders the studying useless).

To anyone in here who has a problem with the library right now, there was a feedback form sent through email a few weeks ago in college. If you put these issues in there, that's a start. I know I did. If they don't know the level of how this is affecting people, they can't devote higher amounts of attention to it.

Seems there's a new quiet area on the third floor...

Interesting! Let's see how this affects study levels in the coming months :)

Haven't seen it first hand but apparently the area to the left when you're coming up the stairs is all glassed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Haven't seen it first hand but apparently the area to the left when you're coming up the stairs is all glassed off.

Is this an extension to the Unum lab? There was talks last year to cope with the growing number of students doing IT courses.

It does look like an extension alright, I was in the college today as it happens and just had to go take a look. They have the floor under it blocked off at the moment, I'm not sure if they're doing something there or not but the top floor looks a bit better.

It was incredibly quiet there too, if only it could be like that all of the time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

I hope they put in some air conditioning too, can be like a oven sometimes.

Advertisement