Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dating a guy who will not add u on facebook and does not show his face on skype

Options
  • 17-02-2013 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

ok , i have a big mystery to solve , so i was dating this guy (4th date, and talking for over 1 month) who kept avoiding to add me on facebook , who is afraid to put his face out there , like he told me he had his identity stolen before and was scared it would happen again , but after we dated a while i asked him does he still feel apprehensive about me and he said he didnt so i asked him to add me on fb, to which he said he would , a month into seeing him. but he never did , so i jumped at the opportunity to ask him again when we skyped , he took so long to apparently log in and sent me a message instead of adding me , weird i know , so i asked him why to which he replied u wont be able to see my photos anyway blah blah blah and then he said i dont know u well enough , but why say u would add me if u werent ya know . now theres not alot of possibilities that i can think of why he would do this , he could have a girlf i dont know about , i asked him and he said he didnt , he prob doesnt want his friends to see who hes dating . also he always pays in cash when we go out and doesnt have a wallet, says he loses it easily so he carries cash , these are big wads of cash too , apparently he works as a day trader/hedge fund manager and its his own business , keeps offering to buy me things and spending money on me even pay me every week to which i bluntly answered no to . hes just so sketchy about his face being put out there , what is the guy hiding can anyone tell me ? i actually have thoughts that he might be a criminal am i paranoid?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

irelandese wrote: »
    ok , i have a big mystery to solve , so i was dating this guy (4th date, and talking for over 1 month) who kept avoiding to add me on facebook , who is afraid to put his face out there , like he told me he had his identity stolen before and was scared it would happen again , but after we dated a while i asked him does he still feel apprehensive about me and he said he didnt so i asked him to add me on fb, to which he said he would , a month into seeing him. but he never did , so i jumped at the opportunity to ask him again when we skyped , he took so long to apparently log in and sent me a message instead of adding me , weird i know , so i asked him why to which he replied u wont be able to see my photos anyway blah blah blah and then he said i dont know u well enough , but why say u would add me if u werent ya know . now theres not alot of possibilities that i can think of why he would do this , he could have a girlf i dont know about , i asked him and he said he didnt , he prob doesnt want his friends to see who hes dating . also he always pays in cash when we go out and doesnt have a wallet, says he loses it easily so he carries cash , these are big wads of cash too , apparently he works as a day trader/hedge fund manager and its his own business , keeps offering to buy me things and spending money on me even pay me every week to which i bluntly answered no to . hes just so sketchy about his face being put out there , what is the guy hiding can anyone tell me ? i actually have thoughts that he might be a criminal am i paranoid?

Dodgy boy it sounds like

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭socco

the guy clearly has another girlfriend or is just using you... either way get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 irelandese

Dodgy boy it sounds like

but do u think hes dodgy like , he is in a relationhip , or dodgy as in hes a criminal , cant figure it out , cos i gave him information about myself , if he is a criminal im afraid he might use it against me

socco wrote: »
    the guy clearly has another girlfriend or is just using you... either way get rid of him.

yeah i did but see how was he using me , we havent even kissed at all amd he was adamant in paying for everything , its really strange, im just worried now that he might be a criminal and is the person doing the robbing of identities , but i could be paranoid , i dont know cods in this day and age anybody can hack ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Or completely possible that he doesn't like Facebook?

• Advertisement

Or completely possible that he doesn't like Facebook?

I would just simply just add the person to shut them up, I was constantly asking and he kept saying he would but kept putting it off like saying he wasn't home or was at tennis when in fact he has a smart phone so I seized the opportunity when we Skyped to while he took ages in logging in and it just looks like a FB that someone just set up at the spur of the moment or something, why can't he say I don't use Facebook instead of making me believe he would add me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

He's playing away by the sounds of it.

Sorry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

socco wrote: »
    Using her for what? He offers to pay for everything. Maybe he's worried she's a nutter & doesn't want to add her in case she goes bunny boiler on his page if they split.

Lelantos wrote: »
    Using her for what? He offers to pay for everything. Maybe he's worried she's a nutter & doesn't want to add her in case she goes bunny boiler on his page if they split.

Eh No I'm not nuts, it's a normal thing in this day and age to ask for someone's Facebook, what is the big deal like? He can just simply block or unfriend me if we didnt work out And I'm No gold digger, I pay my own way, his huge wad of cash had me worried, the guy did not have a visa, or any sort of debit card whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

According to the charter, this forum is for discussions on the following topics:
    Engagements, Weddings, Commitment ceremonies, Civil Partnerships, Honeymoons, Adjusting to marriage.
    I'm wondering which of these this particular issue falls under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Maybe he is just a bit weird who cares, If he is polite has manners and is'nt trying to force you into anything then why not give him a chance. Everyone is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Eh No I'm not nuts, it's a normal thing in this day and age to ask for someone's Facebook, what is the big deal like? He can just simply block or unfriend me if we didnt work out And I'm No gold digger, I pay my own way, his huge wad of cash had me worried, the guy did not have a visa, or any sort of debit card whatsoever

Its totally not normal in my opinion to ask for someone's Facebook, I left Facebook last year because its full of nutters, sorry but it is, parents who think its normal to tell me every thing about their child, the people who only post photos of their food and drink, and people who only post when drunk, maybe he is just like me a person who thinks Facebook is for total mental heads.

He sounds more like a guy who does not trust tech than a criminal, and as long as the dosh is kosher enjoy the ride.

According to the charter, this forum is for discussions on the following topics:
    Engagements, Weddings, Commitment ceremonies, Civil Partnerships, Honeymoons, Adjusting to marriage.
    I'm wondering which of these this particular issue falls under.

My bad I didn't know where to put this and it was a rush job

Asking for relationship advice from people you don't know, about your suspected sketchy, maybe criminal boyfriend....being honest, he'd be well rid of you imo

juice1304 wrote: »
    Maybe he is just a bit weird who cares, If he is polite has manners and is'nt trying to force you into anything then why not give him a chance. Everyone is different.

Thanks for the input maybe he is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

My bad I didn't know where to put this and it was a rush job

Putting this issue in the weddings forum, along with your apparent urgency to seek the advice of strangers on the internet, all seems to make you seem at best a bit highly strung, and at worse a total Glenn Close job.
    I suggest you chill out and get over the Facebook thing and put any questions you have about this relationship to the man himself.

Lelantos wrote: »
    Asking for relationship advice from people you don't know, about your suspected sketchy, maybe criminal boyfriend....being honest, he'd be well rid of you imo

I'm just trying to fInd out what other reasons there are for a person to be so sketchy about adding someone on FB , the rest are just observations, like I said am I being paranoid

Putting this issue in the weddings forum, along with your apparent urgency to seek the advice of strangers on the internet, all seems to make you seem at best a bit highly strung, and at worse a total Glenn Close job.
    I suggest you chill out and get over the Facebook thing and put any questions you have about this relationship to the man himself.

Fair enough I'll take that on board

I'm just trying to fInd out what other reasons there are for a person to be so sketchy about adding someone on FB , the rest are just observations, like I said am I being paranoid
    Yes, there are ways of finding.out if perhaps he's been heartbroken before. Maybe set up a double date with his friend & gf. 4 people talking over dinner always gets things out in the open. Maybe become friends with his sisters, or mother, see if there are any facebook friends in common you can talk to. If he's into sport, perhaps go to his gaa game, soccer game, get involved. There are loads of ways to get to know the guy & become involved in his life & not think the worst of him because he's not a Facebooky guy. Ps, some firms actively discourage their staff from being on Facebook as it can reflect badly on the firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

what the hell has this to do with weddings marriage and civil partnership :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

From what you say here- yes, he sounds sketchy.
    On the other hand: you've known him for a month, had four dates, and are now badgering him about this FB thing. I'd back way off too if I was him. Like, if someone asks me to be FB friends and I don't have time to add them immediately, and then they keep asking, even though I initially intended to add them, that might change my mind about adding them.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,915 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Moved to Relationship Issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Perfectly grand, if he adds you his family, friends etc might start asking questions, personally I'm very private about stuff like that and don't like the pressure etc so I never change relationship statuses or that... Also maybe he is self conscious about some of the stuff he has on his Facebook, I cringe at some of the stuff I put up in the past

There are many many more likely innocent explanations rather than him being a criminal or having another gf, calm down.

As for the rolls of cash, what's the big deal?

From what you've said he seems to be a perfect gent give him a chance, he could be mad about you and just nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

One thing you have not said, OP (or maybe I just missed it): does he have what looks like a fairly normal Facebook presence? You know, a bit in the "about me" section; some pictures; the occasional status report; a number of friends?

I'd be sceptical of the day trader/hedge fund manager story. I'd expect somebody making a living in the financial world to be fairly comfortable with using credit or debit cards.

I'd be Googling fairly intensively to see if I could find something out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Lorna123

I think that this guy just doesn't want you getting to know all his business too quickly. I would be like that too, in fact I hate facebook. He is keeping you private and in my opinion that is a good thing. Stop looking for problems when there are none.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 justsmile

He obviously doesn't want you as a friend on facebook. He most probably has something he wants to hide from you on it. Unless he has very few friends and prefers to only befriend those closest to him then i'd say he has a girlfriend. He sounds a bit dodgy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

keeps offering to buy me things and spending money on me even pay me every week to which i bluntly answered no to

Pay you every week? For what? That sounds dodgy as Fcuk....if it feels off and dodgy then move on, it's not rocket science, trust your instinct. He may or may not be criminal, that is irrelevant for now. Fact is it feels sketchy and off, so find someone to be with where you don't feel paranoid and distrustful, they are out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭maria34

dodgy. dont take him seriously anyway.

married men cant use credit cards (wife finds out by reading statements) and add u in facebook. simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

The relationship seems fairly new. There are some strange things going on. Lots of cash, no credit cards. Not so bad, I pay cash everywhere and Im married. Hate cards.
    Doesn't add you on Facebook ? Maybe he's been burned before as mentioned, he should tell you but its not completely beyond the boundaries of belief.
    So all in all, keep seeing him if you like him but Id advise not just holding emotions back to protect yourself but also physical side of it, see what happens then. If he asks what's wrong tell him there's a sharing side to it and see is he ready to commit.
    If you're just out for a bit of fun that's different but I doubt you'd ask the questions you did if that was the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Listen, I'm really sorry, but I think this could be a guy I dated. He used the exact same words as day trader/hedge fund - I worked in that world and that's not a usual phrase - always paid in cash - never brought a jacket/coat anywhere - messaged me but never added on facebook despite saying he would. Worked solely off mobile, no work email, no fixed line....no wallet...dodged photos at a wedding on our 4th date.

paid for everything, offered money per week as an allowance (I never took it). Oh yeah, and he played tennis.

whole thing turned out to be lies.

If he purports to be called [pm'ed you name] and from Sligo originally but lived in London, let me know. He has a track record, if it's the same guy. Never kissed in street or in public....phone superglued to inside pocket. And very reticent about sleeping together (we never did) - there was going to be a big occasion in Ashford Castle.

Turned out this was all to get my credit card details.

Chance conversation with work friend - same guy scammed her. SO I let him book the weekend - but guess what his credit card had just expired. I hope he had a lovely weekend by himself!

Advertisement