Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bangs in the night

Options
  • 17-02-2013 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Would like to share some experiences with whoever is opened minded, I would say that I fall into the category of skeptic until experienced myself and still abide by those rules. My story began as a child, some experts believe that children are more prone and open to the paranormal or that it is merely your brain developing to understand the world around us. However my experience involved others. Born in a terrace house in Hull, UK amongst many inexplainable events occurred one night when myself and my brother shared bedrooms at bedtime as we started to get changed for bed the top left hand wall began to move we both looked at it to investigate further and sure enough it was moving in and out, we called for our mother who came to investigate and my sister came running into the bedroom the wall continued to almost breath. My mother began to nail two peices of strong wood to the area these cracked and broke we investigated outside and nothing looked as if it was about to collapse, the phenomenon abeited after a while and the wall was tested for any possible weakness in the wall it was found to be undamaged, or no cracks or tears in the wallpaper. We still do not know what this was to this day. Another occassion was when I was in bed with my mum and saw a man dressed in the joker regalia sat smiling at me my mum said dont be afraid i also see it. These are just a few of the experiences that my family and I have had.
    A good friend said that if you have been visited by ghosts then your life will be forever affected... Discuss

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Fear something only makes it stronger,

Comes to mind the story of Buddha and his few followers, when his followers saw a ghost they ran and told the Buddha. He told them to go back and practice love and kindness. So they went back to the ghost and started to mediate in effect the ghost could not harm them in fact he moved on.

Our minds can't understand some things maybe it's the fact we are programmed in a way we need facts before we can say yes this is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

lewisanson - That's interesting what you experienced as a child. Were any of those incidents recurring? Also, do you know if there was any history behind your childhood home, i.e. concerning the house itself and/or its previous occupants, or the site on which it was built?

I've had a handful of paranormal, or otherwise unexplainable, experiences over the years - most of which occurred during mid-late adolescence (I'm 25 now). I've also read that children are believed to be more receptive to the paranormal (and have more experiences of that nature), though I must be the exception to that.

Still, I wonder about a kid's ability to distinguish between what's real/earthly and not real (as in, a ghost) when they're very young, seeing as I've often heard about adults seeing a ghost that looked as solid and as real as a living person. When I saw my deceased nan standing in the middle of a road years ago, she looked very much alive to me too until she appeared to vanish suddenly a minute later. So that makes me wonder how common it might be for people to see a ghost or a spirit and not even realise it? Well, as far as how common or frequent it is for people to see a ghost, which likely isn't that frequent.

Cork24 - I think that tale you mentioned is only ever really applicable to cases where a spirit is attached to a particular place - such as someone's house - because I would imagine that a person would only be keen for it to move on in that instance. I had a handful of unusual experiences in my childhood home and, despite being genuinely scared sh*tless on each occasion, those incidents never proved to be recurring and peace was restored once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lewisanson

Hi Mojo
    My Ex was a nurse at the Hull Royal and she explained that an elderly patient who had lived in the same area metioned that a circus had burnt to the ground behind our house at the turn of the century 1900 explains the Animals that we experienced around the house. As kids we had no idea about the history of the house. I remain open minded but believe that energy remains the same but has to by the law of physics change into other matter.

I agree fear does make you stronger however try practicing this when you are a kid why do you think most kids sleep with the door ajar or the lights on, do we have something to fear??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

lewisanson wrote: »
    energy remains the same but has to by the law of physics change into other matter.

Energy is reused alright, but it doesnt mean reused energy ends up being what it was previously. I could die and some of my atoms might be used to make a tree, some more used in a nail, as wind - whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

It's hard to know what exactly becomes of the energy that once made up a person but, on a more immediate physical level, it's entirely possible for it to be transformed into an inanimate object, or whatever else. But if we're talking about the energy that supposedly comprises a person's consciousness, that's an even bigger riddle, IMO. I have to say that, taking into account everything I've ever read about human consciousness in a 'paranormal' or spiritual context, it seems that the energy of the person's consciousness remains intact. It isn't split apart, and nor is it transformed into something else entirely. All of that is nothing but conjecture though, so I guess I'll have to wait to find out the truth when I kick the bucket myself. :)

lewisanson - That's really interesting about what your ex discovered about the site of your childhood home. So you and your family saw apparitions of animals, or just felt or heard them around the place? I forget about animal ghostly activity sometimes (don't hear too much about it anyway, so is it any wonder?). I knew a man once (now dead) who said that, after his friend's beloved cat of 14 years died, the friend held on to the cat's old basket and began to notice it was still being used. This fella I knew said he was over at his friend's house and, after being told by his friend to look at the cat's basket in the corner of the room, he saw pressure marks suddenly appearing on the basket's cushion - as though a cat was prodding on the cushion. He said he saw it happen several times. It seems the cat was still around. :)

I realise there are a lot of kids (and adults!) who need to sleep with the light on at night and/or leave the door ajar because of some otherwise-unseen threat lurking in the darkness. I wondered if that was due to social conditioning (kids' peers talking about the 'bogeyman', or being exposed to TV/film that creates negative connotations about darkness). Maybe.

I never slept with the light on when I was a kid because 1) I wasn't too bothered by sleeping in the dark, and 2) the use of surplus electricity to do that would have been out of the question, if I had felt I wanted the light to be kept on. I had my share of nervous 'Is there something there?' moments as a kid though, and I even remember feeling intense presences coming so close to me (too close for comfort) many times, I'd tell 'it' to F-off or go away. I've never believed that house was haunted though, despite the cluster of strange experiences I had there, because those experiences didn't seem connected to the house in any way.

But what I meant about myself being scared out of my wits by various sightings and the like before, but those experiences never being repeated, was that being calm about the whole thing doesn't seem more effective than being afraid in 'preventing' future encounters. Or, at least, in my own experience. Unless the calm and collected approach is more useful in cases where spirits are allegedly attached to a property (home, workplace)? Simply because spirits are said to feed off the energy of fear that people feel in reaction to them, which allows them to ramp up the activity more. That must be it.

Hi again the house is still up and recently my sister said that she spoke with some workers on the house who downed tools and refused to go back. We had these inexplainable experiences over many years and was relieved to finally move away. We all felt and saw things that where completly not of our known world so can without doubt vouch for these occurences.

Advertisement