Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of Birdsong?

Options
  • 17-02-2013 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

It would be hard to have not heard a lot of good things about this book, but lately I've been hearing from people around me too and I'm contemplating picking up a copy. However, I'm seriously poor, and with a lot of work on my plate at present I'm more in the market for the kind of book that will suck you in. So I guess my question is how engaging is Birdsong, and is it then worth the money? (I am very poor! :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭endacl

dr gonzo wrote: »
    It would be hard to have not heard a lot of good things about this book, but lately I've been hearing from people around me too and I'm contemplating picking up a copy. However, I'm seriously poor, and with a lot of work on my plate at present I'm more in the market for the kind of book that will suck you in. So I guess my question is how engaging is Birdsong, and is it then worth the money? (I am very poor! :D)
    FWIW, I'm in a minority among those I've spoken to about Birdsong, but just couldn't even really start this one, let alone finish it. Three separate attempts never got me beyond 50 pages. Birdsong and The Dice Man (Reinhardt). The only two books I ever started and didn't finish. Birdsong I probably just wasn't in the right space for. The Dice Man was truly cr4p, and is probably an unfair comparison.

Can't offer an opinion on pages 51+, BUT 1-50 left me cold.

Bit rambly. Sorry. Just in from night out. In vino veritas and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Birdsong is one of the best books I have ever read. The beginning is a slow start, but don't worry it rewards you with a very steamy love scene, and picks up its pace soon after the slow start.

The novel completely openned my eyes to the horrors of WW1. Breathtaking storytelling and harrowing descriptions of the trenches.

It lead me then to read the Pat Barker trilogy, also incredibly worthwhile.

I'm sure you can get it second hand on one of the second hand websites for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tyrion1234

I found Birdsong to be incredibly boring. it starts of promising but goes downhill rapidly. the main character is instantly dislikeable and doesn't improve as the book goes on, and there are no interesting characters at all throughout the book.

While some of the war parts of the book are decent enough and paint a good picture of the conditions they had to endure, there are much better war books out there that are worthwhile reading.

I wouldn't recommend this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I loved Birdsong - its a slow starter but well worth sticking with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Looks like you're just going to have to read it yourself OP! Let us know...

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Birdsong is an incredibly good book, I was absolutely enthralled by it and would recommend it highly, some of the war chapters are as good as I've read on that subject.

OP would you not join a library, failing that any second hand bookshop should have a few copies of it. It is also quite long so you'll get good value from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

OP would you not join a library, failing that any second hand bookshop should have a few copies of it. It is also quite long so you'll get good value from it.

Yes, join the library. And when Birdsong has piqued your interest in WW1 you can get Regeneration by Pat Barker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

dr gonzo wrote: »

PM me your address. I have a second copy I'd be happy to send you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

endacl wrote: »
    Looks like you're just going to have to read it yourself OP! Let us know...

;)

Haha, talk about binary opposition?! I think youre right endacl!
    tbh wrote: »
    PM me your address. I have a second copy I'd be happy to send you.

Wow, that seriously generous of you tbh! I normally wouldnt put somebody out like that but given the state of my bank balance at the moment your offer is just too tempting! :D Many many thanks tbh!

Advertisement