Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RaboDirectPRO12 Race to Playoffs 2012/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Ospreys
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Should Munster not be on 43pts?
    Yep, think so.

That was a very quick edit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Munster
    Good results this weekend from a Leinster point of view. For Munster and Ospreys you'd have to say that's a bit of a disastor, neither of them will be happy with a draw from that, both needed the win.

I think the top 3 now will battle it out for top spot, I think their play-off spots are safe, it's now down to Scarlets, Ospreys and Munster to contest the final spot. I wouldn't say it's game over for Munster, but they'll need the Scarlets to completely implode and to be done a few favours by other teams in beating Ospreys - Leinster being one of those teams - and they'll need to win all their remaining games, including two tough interpro home games against Connacht and Leinster and an away trip to league leaders Glasgow who are in rich form.

It's not over yet, but they're teeing off on the 18th needing a hole in one to make the cut.

Makes the Munster Leinster game even bigger now, Leinster will need the win to try and top the table, Munster will need the win to keep play-off hopes alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Would certainly be interesting to see the reactions of certain blazers should Connacht finish ahead of Munster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Munster
    Hard to see them gain seven points on scarlets who have this run in

SCARLETS:
    Zebre (H), Dragons (A), Glasgow (H), Cardiff (H), Treviso (H)
    Scarlets could very easily win each of them. Hard to see them not winning at least three.

Munster
    Well Treviso have shown they're no mugs and Glasgow will be going all out to get a home semi or even top spot, so those two would be tough games I'd imagine, but Zebre at home should be nailed on 4 points minimum, Dragons have been a joke this season and they should win that and Cardiff haven't been much better and you'd fancy Scarlets to win at home.

Even just those 3 wins as worst case scenario for Scarlets, plus the 7 point lead over Munster, would mean Munster would need 20 points from their last 5 games (i.e. win them all) whilst also hoping Scarlets get no BP wins or losing bonus point in 2 defeats to Treviso or Glasgow at the Parc Y Scarlets .... seems unlikely alright.

One thing is for sure though, it's out of their hands now.

Munster
    Regarding Connacht, I actually think it would be great for Irish rugby for Connacht to get into the Heineken Cup on merit, even if Leinster were to qualify Munster by winning the Amlin or something, just to force the IRFU to reconsider the poor cousin attitude to Connacht and perhaps just allow the provinces to evolve naturally and not try and control everything and not focus on one province to prevent it from collapsing and stifle another province and prevent it from growing.

It needs to occur naturally and equally. The IRFU, whilst masterminding the success of Irish rugby through the set up in professionalism, are now the worst thing holding it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster
    [Jackass] wrote: »
    Regarding Connacht, I actually think it would be great for Irish rugby for Connacht to get into the Heineken Cup on merit, even if Leinster were to qualify Munster by winning the Amlin or something, just to force the IRFU to reconsider the poor cousin attitude to Connacht and perhaps just allow the provinces to evolve naturally and not try and control everything and not focus on one province to prevent it from collapsing and stifle another province and prevent it from growing.

It needs to occur naturally and equally. The IRFU, whilst masterminding the success of Irish rugby through the set up in professionalism, are now the worst thing holding it back.

The IRFU are already increasing Connacht's funding

Munster
    Ospreys run in is interesting
    Three handy games first, keeping them in the hunt right up to the two massive games at the end away to Gla and Leinster.

Dragons (H), Cardiff (A), Treviso (H), Glasgow (A), Leinster (A)

Could be that Leinster have the chance to eliminate them in the last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ospreys
    TABLE AFTER ROUND 17
    Glasgow 61
    Ulster 61
    Leinster 59
    Scarlets 50
    Ospreys 49
    Munster 43
    Treviso 35
    Cardiff 33
    Connacht 32
    Edinburgh 24
    Dragons 23
    Zebre 8

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/table.php

REMAINING FIXTURES

ULSTER:
    Edinburgh (A), Leinster (A), Dragons (H), Connacht (A), Cardiff (H)

GLASGOW:
    Leinster (A), Munster (H), Scarlets (A), Ospreys (H), Connacht (A)

LEINSTER:
    Glasgow (H), Ulster (H), Munster (A), Zebre (A), Ospreys (H)

OSPREYS:
    Dragons (H), Cardiff (A), Treviso (H), Glasgow (A), Leinster (A)

SCARLETS:
    Zebre (H), Dragons (A), Glasgow (H), Cardiff (H), Treviso (H)

MUNSTER:
    Connacht (H), Glasgow (A), Leinster (H), Dragons (A), Zebre (A)

I think Munster will get four wins at best, that won't be enough given Scarlets' run in.

Ospreys will need to win their next three games to have a chance, with their last two games being trips to Glasgow and Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Munster are done for after tonight. Scarlets should make it but not sure do I trust them.

• Advertisement

Munster
    I reckon:

4 wins for Leinster = 75
    3 wins for Gla and Uls = 73
    4 wins for Sca= 66
    4 wins for ospreys = 65
    Leaving Munster needing 23 points. Can't see then getting more than maybe 19- 4 wins including three TBPs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not sure i get where people are coming from re Connacht finishing ahead of Munster. They are 9 points behind with nothing but tough fixtures remaining. It's not going to happen.

Don't see Munster making the play-offs now. I reckon Scarlets will make 4th spot. The race for top spot is all going to come down to bonus points I reckon. It's going to be tight. Ulster have a slight advantage I reckon, but if they make the SF of the HEC then they might need to focus on that at the expense of the league.

Munster
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Not sure i get where people are coming from re Connacht finishing ahead of Munster. They are 9 points behind with nothing but tough fixtures remaining. It's not going to happen.

One of those fixtures is aganist Munster though. A possible 4 point swing.

But the fact Munster finish up with fixtures against the Dragons and Zebre should really guarrantee them finishing ahead of Connacht. They probably only need to beat them next weekend.

What Munster really need is a win in Scotstoun (very tough) or a win against Leinster. If they win aganist Connacht, one of those games, Zebre and Dragons then they could be a playoff team.

Problem is that if Scarlets win 3 of their remaining 5 games then Munster probably won't qualify. And Scarlets play Zebre, Cardiff, Dragons and Treviso!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ospreys
    I think Scarletts will make it - they have a handy enough run in. Leinster's last match will be against Ospreys, and it may need a win to keep them out of the play offs....which would be some incentive.....we owe them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Out of interest if Connacht did finish ahead of Munster (obviously unlikely) is it written in stone that they would definitely get the HCup spot, or is still at the IRFUs discretion?

Arguably (whilst I'd consider it wrong) it could be considered better from both a financial pov and the international team pov (in theory the IRFUs ultimate mandate) for Munster to have the HCup spot instead of Connacht.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ospreys
    Yeah it's written in the qualification rules that the top 3 Irish teams in the Rabo go into HEC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Munster
    Out of interest if Connacht did finish ahead of Munster (obviously unlikely) is it written in stone that they would definitely get the HCup spot, or is still at the IRFUs discretion?

Arguably (whilst I'd consider it wrong) it could be considered better from both a financial pov and the international team pov (in theory the IRFUs ultimate mandate) for Munster to have the HCup spot instead of Connacht.
    no longer the IRFU's discretion they agreed a number of years ago that the Celtic league would be the qualifying tournament and the top three teams in it would qualify for the HEC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Munster
    It would take a miracle for Munster to overhaul Ospreys or Scarlets. I can't see Ospreys overhaul Scarlets tbh, Scarlets'll be 4th.

For the top 3 with the way the games go any combination of Ulster, Leinster Glasgow at 1, 2, 3 a possibility. that order is likeliest.

I also can't see Connacht overtaking Munster, would require outrageous results, possible during 6 nations window, not when they all get everyone back in the huddle.

So Ulster Scarlets, Leinster Glasgow for first round of playoffs...

Ospreys
    Zebre 5-11 Scarlets - HT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Zebre 5-11 Scarlets - HT
    Come On ZEBRE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Zebre 10 Scarlets 24 after 59 mins.

Two tries for the Scarlets so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ospreys
    I am also cheering on Zebre tonight!

I have them at +10.

Ospreys
    Ospreys with three tries in the first twenty minutes, nailed on BP win then. :(

Munster
    Predictable results to be fair , but lessening Munsters chances even further.

Ospreys
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    I am also cheering on Zebre tonight!

I have them at +10.

Bugger, it finished up 10 - 24.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Dan Lydiate looks like he's enjoyed his break.
    INPHO_00679599.jpg

Ospreys
    Ospreys 31-11 up, BP in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ospreys
    Ospreys 31-11 up, BP in the bag.

Very bad outcome for Munster, especially with scarlets winning too. Going to need to win all remaining games I'd say.

Ospreys
    Very bad outcome for Munster, especially with scarlets winning too. Going to need to win all remaining games I'd say.

Anything less than a Munster BP win tomorrow and we're toast.

Dragons (A), Glasgow (H), Cardiff (H), Treviso (H)

Above are Scarlets' remaining games, they'll get at least 13 points out of 25 IMO.

Ospreys
    So going into tomorrow, with Leinster hosting Glasgow and Munster hosting Connacht:

Ulster 62
    Glasgow 61
    Leinster 59
    Ospreys 54
    Scarlets 54
    Munster 43

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Leinster go top with any win... I'll take that

Ospreys
    Tox56 wrote: »
    Leinster go top with any win... I'll take that

It also means both home semis are now up for grabs. Even Scarlets and Ospreys could sneak in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Given their run-in I think Munster are as good as out of contention. With trips to Leinster and Connacht coming up, Ulster may yet find themselves away in the semis. If they win the HEC QF I'd almost guarantee it. Leinster - Glasgow tomorrow will go a long way to deciding the final make up of the table.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It also means both home semis are now up for grabs. Even Scarlets and Ospreys could sneak in.

I dunno about that. I think the home semis will still be between Ulster, Glasgow and Leinster. Too much of a gap to make up and would require several screw ups by those ahead of them.

Munster
    Leinster now favourites to win the regular season.

Will probably need a result in thomond though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Munster
    Wow, Ulster have lead the league all year, but now a loss in Dublin will likely mean losing a home semi. They need Tommy Bowe back ASAP.

Munter failing to pick up 5 points tonight will see them end their challenge, with a draw being enough to secure a Heineken Cup berth.

Leinster are really set up for it now.

Can someone like release the flu virus at Ospreys training, or something?

tolosenc wrote: »
    Wow, Ulster have lead the league all year, but now a loss in Dublin will likely mean losing a home semi. They need Tommy Bowe back ASAP.

Munter failing to pick up 5 points tonight will see them end their challenge, with a draw being enough to secure a Heineken Cup berth.

No, bring them to the RDS for the final and make them suffer. Perfect sendoff for Nacewa, BOD and Sexton

Munster
    Perfect sendoff for Nacewa, BOD and Sexton
    Ah now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

tolosenc wrote: »

As I said before great starting 15 but poor extended squad, its really showing injuries or otherwise

• Advertisement

Ah now

Hope not but a winning Lions tour and he's gone I reckon. Wonder when he will make the decision, Leinster said they would give him time but surely their patience has a limit

Munster

Hope not but a winning Lions tour and he's gone I reckon. Wonder when he will make the decision, Leinster said they would give him time but surely their patience has a limit
    What about a last shot at the all blacks in november?

What about a last shot at the all blacks in november?

True enough but lets face it, chances are Ireland will lose that game. But then will he play on the whole season just because he wants 1 shot at the all blacks? Will that be his last game for Ireland? Decisions decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Munster

He has said that he would decide after the Lions and Leinster have said they aren't brining in a replacement 13 so if he goes its trust Macken/EOM while if he stays its same old same old.

Munster

True enough but lets face it, chances are Ireland will lose that game. But then will he play on the whole season just because he wants 1 shot at the all blacks? Will that be his last game for Ireland? Decisions decisions
    I don't buy for a single sexond that the IRFU are incapable of giving him a contract that would allow him to retire after that game and keep playing with Leinster.

I just get this feeling that the "future testimonial event" in Dublin on the BOD testimonial website will be a match. And if it is I hope it's against the Kiwis.

Ospreys
    TABLE AFTER ROUND 18
    Leinster 63
    Glasgow 62
    Ulster 62
    Ospreys 54
    Scarlets 54
    Munster 47
    Treviso 39
    Cardiff 33
    Connacht 32
    Edinburgh 28
    Dragons 23
    Zebre 8

REMAINING FIXTURES

ULSTER:
    Leinster (A), Dragons (H), Connacht (A), Cardiff (H)

GLASGOW:
    Munster (H), Scarlets (A), Ospreys (H), Connacht (A)

LEINSTER:
    Ulster (H), Munster (A), Zebre (A), Ospreys (H)

OSPREYS:
    Cardiff (A), Treviso (H), Glasgow (A), Leinster (A)

SCARLETS:

MUNSTER:
    Glasgow (A), Leinster (H), Dragons (A), Zebre (A)

So next weekend's fixtures (relevant to playoff race):

Leinster vs Ulster
    Dragons vs Scarlets
    Glasgow vs Munster
    Cardiff vs Ospreys

I predict wins for Leinster, Scarlets, Glasgow and Ospreys. Try bonus points in any of those wins are unlikely.

Munster
    Scarlets should probably get three wins which would eliminate Munster.

Munster MUST beat Glasgow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

We could realistically be looking at knocking 'Spreys out in last game of season, and perhaps putting us top too.

Win next weekend would be big, as would win in Thomond.

Next three games are season defining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Munster
    Scarlets with the easier run in should nick the 4th spot. Munster's race is run.

Not an easy run in for Leinster (except for 5 points from Zebre), but confident we can get it done and top the league yet again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ospreys
    TABLE AFTER ROUND 18
    Leinster 63
    Glasgow 62
    Ulster 62
    Ospreys 54
    Scarlets 54
    Munster 47
    Treviso 39
    Cardiff 33
    Connacht 32
    Edinburgh 28
    Dragons 23
    Zebre 8

REMAINING FIXTURES

ULSTER:
    Leinster (A), Dragons (H), Connacht (A), Cardiff (H)

GLASGOW:
    Munster (H), Scarlets (A), Ospreys (H), Connacht (A)

LEINSTER:
    Ulster (H), Munster (A), Zebre (A), Ospreys (H)

OSPREYS:
    Cardiff (A), Treviso (H), Glasgow (A), Leinster (A)

SCARLETS:

MUNSTER:
    Glasgow (A), Leinster (H), Dragons (A), Zebre (A)

I would expect each of those teams to win 3 of the last 4 games, except Ospreys who could lose their last two.

Unfortunately for Munster, Scarlets have the easiest run-in of all and could conceivably win all four remaining matches. Munster are gone.

Advertisement