Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gain Adult Dog food

• 17-02-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi

Has anyone had any experience with using Gain Adult dog food 15kg (Glanbia).

Im currently feeding my dog Red Mills Adult leader which she loves and I found kept her active and very healthy but recently Red Mills have increased the price to around 50 Euro a bag which is a little too much for my pockets. The bag is nearly finished so if Im too swap to another dog food I need to start mixing.

Gain Ingredients look fine, the price is right and Dogfooddirect.ie ( I used to buy from these but they dont stock Red Mills due to the price increase) recommended Gain as did my local pet shop but of course they want to sell what they have so if anyone has had any first hand experience it would be appreciated.
    Little to nothing on the web about this food.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Haven't tried gain but I have tried a few others, also spent a lot of time looking at different foods.
    Try looking on zooplus.ie and take a look at the Markus muhle, it's about €38 I think for 15kg, they have offers on 2 bags.
    Also try amazon, I buy barking heads for about €36 for 12kg on there, they do a reduction in price for the subscribe and save, I get a bag delivered every 3 months and if I have to much or am running low I can change delivery date.
    A few people on here have been recommending skinners food, also on amazon, it's cheaper than the barking heads.
    All the above look good for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Are you talking about Gain's newer food - EliteSize?

I haven't used it but reading the ingredients it is comparable to Red Mills Leader. I have used RMs before and my dogs liked it. The only problem with either food is that the feeding guidleines are high compared to other foods. With RMs I found there was more poo.

There was some posts on this before:

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79737744

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79653821

• Registered Users Posts: 35 medikate

This is great information.

thanks both for getting back. I feel a little more confident to go with Gain now (yes its the Elite range http://www.gainfeeds.com/pet/BigDogs_Adult). Hopefully she takes to it and I can continue on sticking with the one feed.

Ill give it a month and update the thread with the results.

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I've been feeding my dogs Gain Retired Greyhound food for a couple of years now and I swear by it. Our boxer has a very delicate tummy and all the other, more expensive, dry foods gave him very loose stools. Not any more thank goodness!

I now have a Yorkie and two labs on it and they're great.

At €14 per 15kg it's a steal!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gill1983

Hi Gloomtastic! Could. U tell us where u got the food from as I checked on the website. As I'd be very interested. In trying there food,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The nearest place to Dublin, if that's where you're based, is outside Ashbourne on the old N2.

Junction 2 on the new M2. At slip road roundabout take Ward/Coolquay exit. At junction to old N2 (R135) take a left. Past White Horse pub. Straight through next roundabout. After a mile or so on your right hand side you'll see a small sign outside a farm entrance with Gain Horse Feeds on it. It's just before the petrol station.

Not the easiest place to find but worth it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

please be aware that gain dogfood is a major sponsor of the grey hound racing industry and is indirectly responsible for the deaths of many greys...:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

doubter wrote: »
    please be aware that gain dogfood is a major sponsor of the grey hound racing industry and is indirectly responsible for the deaths of many greys...:(

Doubter, I don't want to see any more of these soap-boxing posts please. I understand your concerns, but scaremongering like this not an effective way to make your point, and will not be tolerated... This is your second such post today.
    No more posts on this topic in this thread please.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gill1983

Thanks. For that I emailed them last night still waiting for them to get back to mei might take a trip out to them someday,

• Registered Users Posts: 35 medikate

ok, so its been just over a month since changing over to Gain Adult.

Im no dog stool expert but they did change.
    From semi dry, mid brown, well formed thick thumb sized stool >
    they are now semi dry, tarry colour (the dog food itself compared to Red Mills is a lot darker in color), an not always so well formed. More ragged appearance than on the red mills.
    Shes slightly less energetic. She shed a lot of hair before, moreso than other dogs Im familiar with so on the plus side since the change shes shedding much less hair than before??

overall. No complaints but a little concerned about the stools if this indicates shes not digesting the food too well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I started using Gain a while back. Big Dog adult for the GS and Small Dog adult for the terrier. Both love it and I can see the difference in their coats and stools. Great ingredients and a decent price too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I have an eldery (15) Jack Russell terrier. Hes got a sensitive tummy. He is food-obsessed and is really is fussy about dry food. Ive been feeding him the GAIN All Dogs Senior (yellow/black bag) for several months now. Its nice small kibble. Ingredients good. He actually likes it too :rolleyes: and the price is pretty good. Its good for overweight dogs too (hes a bit prone) so Im very happy with it. (Its even better when its moistened with warm water!)

My younger dog loves it too - but then, he would eat virtually anything, so he's not exactly discerning :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

When you say less energetic, do you mean the dog is calmer? As in not bouncing off the walls like a child would be after eating a bunch of sweets? Or do you mean the dog is now completely lethargic, not really wanting to move about?

Is she defecating more or less on Gain?

What breed of dog is she and what age is she?

Advertisement