Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BER now mandatory on all property ads

• 17-02-2013 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭

A good news story. It has taken a while, but the new legislation has raised the profile of Building Energy Ratings with the general public.

Before, even though they were compulsory for all sales & rentals, it was something that might be done at some time, often at the last moment after the sale or rental.

Now, it's great to see ratings in newspaper ads, drawing attention to the difference in energy efficiency of a property, which should be a major consideration for any leesor and especially purchaser. Some Estate Agents are putting them on their boards as well.

Personally, as a BER Assessor, I have seen an increase in enquiries and business, and hope others have.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

have people noticed a move towards just showing the BER file number only? I find this really cheeky, but I'm wondering is this another loophole in the new legislation?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

BryanF wrote: »
    have people noticed a move towards just showing the BER file number only? I find this really cheeky, but I'm wondering is this another loophole in the new legislation?

a summary:

BERs

Basically any time a property is now (from Jan 09) being advertised it is required to have a BER certification shown.
    That includes on leaflets, newspapers, in windows etc.
    SEAI have the power to issue guidance as to font type / size, colour, background etc.
    The LA can request these on site / sight from building owner OR AGENT.
    Agents / owners have to provide there and then otherwise have 28 days to give proper explanation as to why not.

It underlines much of SEAIs (as the issuing authority) responsibilities now in law.
    Its very wishy washy in parts as it empowers SEAI to give "advice" as to heating and air condition systems etc

as fas as i know, to date, SEAI have not as yet issued directions regarding the above... therefore im sure agent6s will do as little as possible to comply with the SI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

SEAI have actually published detailed guidelines for advertising of BERS here: http://www.seai.ie/Your_Building/BER/Advertising_of_BER/

I did notice one advertiser in the Examiners property supplement this weekend using the recommended artwork but I'm sure it won't catch on fully until its properly enforced.

thanks rabbo :)

well i suppose thats it in a nutshell.

i suppose the most pertinent info as to what is supposed to be advertised is located on page 14 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Its all very specific, isn't it?

I wonder will property advertising websites like daft, myhome, etc. eventually insist on inputting the BER info before publishing ads?
    Surely, the legislation should have put some onus on them aswell..

• Advertisement

Rabbo wrote: »
    Its all very specific, isn't it?

I wonder will property advertising websites like daft, myhome, etc. eventually insist on inputting the BER info before publishing ads?
    Surely, the legislation should have put some onus on them aswell..

By my reading it does.... Internet property listings are specifically included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Enforcemenet of the advertising requirement is with Building Control. See S.I.243.
    http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/BuildingStandards/RHLegislation/FileDownLoad,31049,en.pdf
    Top of page 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

MOTM wrote: »
    Enforcemenet of the advertising requirement is with Building Control. See S.I.243.
    http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/BuildingStandards/RHLegislation/FileDownLoad,31049,en.pdf
    Top of page 17.
    AH well that means nobody has to worry about it then!! nice to see SEAI off the hook again!!:eek:

No6 wrote: »
    AH well that means nobody has to worry about it then!! nice to see SEAI off the hook again!!:eek:

Did you respond to DECLG any of the public consultations on EPBD or building control updates?

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

picorette wrote: »
    A good news story. It has taken a while, but the new legislation has raised the profile of Building Energy Ratings with the general public.

Before, even though they were compulsory for all sales & rentals, it was something that might be done at some time, often at the last moment after the sale or rental.

Now, it's great to see ratings in newspaper ads, drawing attention to the difference in energy efficiency of a property, which should be a major consideration for any leesor and especially purchaser. Some Estate Agents are putting them on their boards as well.

Personally, as a BER Assessor, I have seen an increase in enquiries and business, and hope others have.

I'm sure it's a good news story for you, since it's money in your pocket. For me it's another government inflicted waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

MOTM wrote: »
    Did you respond to DECLG any of the public consultations on EPBD or building control updates?

Why what has that got to do with Local Authorities enforcing anything? but as a point of interest I did make submissions for the public consultations not that it did any good. I was one of the first assessors trained and registered and at several BER assessors association conferences where SEAI were asked some difficult questions in relation to enforcement and responsibiltiy for minimum training standards and their answer always was it was someone else's responsibility for it.

No6 wrote: »
    Why what has that got to do with Local Authorities enforcing anything?

Unless I'm mistaken, the definition of who enforces BER and the advertising requirements (building control) and how they should do it are both in legislation. As far as I can tell, the way to have your say on legislation is in the public consultation, hence my point above.

...whether DECLG heeded what you had to say in the submissions or not is a different story I guess. Fair play for making the submissions though. I suspect most people will jump up and down about legislation but not bother respond to public consultations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

narddog wrote: »
    I'm sure it's a good news story for you, since it's money in your pocket. For me it's another government inflicted waste of time.

Many agree with you and for that reason - it's not a lot of money in anyone's pocket actually. Apart from SEAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭picorette

sinnerboy wrote: »

Many agree with you and for that reason - it's not a lot of money in anyone's pocket actually. Apart from SEAI.

I wouldn't agree. I know BER is crude, but it raises the profile of energy efficiency of buildings

For the general public, it allows them to see at a glance how energy efficient a property is. Considering the increased cost of fuel , this can make a big difference in monthly outgoings for heating, electricity & hot water, & should be a consideration for anyone looking to rent or buy.

It can also be an incentive for landlords and sellers to improve their properties, to make their property more attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭upaho

sydthebeat wrote: »
    a summary:

SEAI have the power to issue guidance

Wow! power to issue guidance! Kim Young Un, eat your heart out!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

I've been house-hunting for the last 16 months, and I'm seeing fewer BER ratings noted in the ads on daft.ie and property.ie and even fewer including the BER report number in the "more information" than I did this time last year. As an example, of 6 properties whose ads I saved, only 4 have any BER info noted at all. Enforcement must be non-existent. One house I am interested in had the Rating on the hard copy info sheets, but I had to ask for the Report Number. The report is so vague, it's pretty useless. Estate agents can't claim ignorance - they show PICTURES and colourful diagrams as to how and where the bits of information are to be displayed/presented in the SEAI BER Advertising Guidelines.
    Discouraging...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

I've been house-hunting for the last 16 months, and I'm seeing fewer BER ratings noted in the ads on daft.ie and property.ie and even fewer including the BER report number in the "more information" than I did this time last year. As an example, of 6 properties whose ads I saved, only 4 have any BER info noted at all. One I am interested in had the Rating on the hard copy info sheets, but I had to ask for the Report Number. The report is so vague, it's pretty useless. Enforcement must be non-existent even though they show PICTURES and colourful diagrams as to how and where the bits of information are to be displayed/presented in the SEAI BER Advertising Guidelines.
    Discouraging...

Head up a girleen and keep smiling :) what's meant to be won't pass ya by xoxox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭picorette

There's a lot more ratings displayed now than a year ago, but it could be improved.

I would send an email to SEAI if you find examples of non-compliance ( not sure who ; maybe ring SEAI helpline to find out )

As regards the report, it is a generic computer generated report that is broad, but it will give you an indication of the main energy efficient elements and services. The rating will tell you how efficient or inefficient the house is, and then looking at the report should tell you where the inefficiencies are.

picorette wrote: »
    I would send an email to SEAI if you find examples of non-compliance ( not sure who ; maybe ring SEAI helpline to find out )

No point

enforcement is the remit of the local authority phantom building control.

Advertisement