Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

large amount of red chillies... ideas needed.

Options
  • 17-02-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I am a happy owner of approx 50 beautiful red chilies and looking for some ideas what could I make with them. I was thinking of chili jam, but any other suggestion would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

When I saw thread title I thought CHILLI JAM!!!

So get making and send me some :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Could always dry them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Do chillis ever really go off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Do chillis ever really go off?

Yeah, they go all soft and gross.
    Chilli jam is a given! I made a fresh batch today :-)
    What about making chilli garlic and chilli ginger pastes for cooking in the future?
    You could chop some of them finely and freeze them in icecube trays with a little water. I do this with fresh herbs. Then they can be added to recipes fairly easily (and you can avoid the stress you get after chopping them- I washed my hands 4 times after chopping chillies today yet still burnt my eye when I rubbed it!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You could just make a chilli paste, chillies and a neutral oil (rape seed is good) in a blender, blitz it all up and put them in a sterile jar, cover with a little more oil and store them in the fridge, will last about 6 weeks in the fridge, use as needed.

I do this with Garlic, chillies and ginger, I'll buy a few of the mixed chilli packs from aldi and do this every now and then, best solution I've come up with as I don't like the texture of dried chillies.

Then when I want to make a stir fry take a teapspoon of each, band them into a wok, squeeze of lime juice, in with your veggies, toss them about for 5 minutes and a dash of soy, drop of fish sauce, some sesame oil and a dribble of honey to finish.

[edit] beaten to it by ElleEm[/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I was also going to say dry them - it can be done in the oven/airing cupboard as far as I know. Never done it myself personally.

Also, chillis freeze well. Just freeze them in a bag together (they don't get stuck together) and then when you want to use one run it under the hot tap to defrost. I used to go chilli picking and I'd get enough chillis to last my a year, all kept in the freezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I was also going to say dry them - it can be done in the oven/airing cupboard as far as I know. Never done it myself personally.

Just string them into a ristra and hang them in the kitchen.

Added benefit of drying chillies is you can use the seeds to grow more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

i've used half of them for a jam that actually turned out to be quite runny, kinda like sweet chilli sauce, but it is delicious. i think i'll freeze the rest and do new batch as soon as my 'sauce' is gone. i'll need to make more reaserch how to achieve a set jam rather than sauce. any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

tsuzmir wrote: »
    i've used half of them for a jam that actually turned out to be quite runny, kinda like sweet chilli sauce, but it is delicious. i think i'll freeze the rest and do new batch as soon as my 'sauce' is gone. i'll need to make more reaserch how to achieve a set jam rather than sauce. any suggestions?

Post up your recipe/ method.
    I use Nigella's recipe, which calls for jam sugar. Did u use that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Seaneh wrote: »
    You could just make a chilli paste, chillies and a neutral oil (rape seed is good) in a blender, blitz it all up and put them in a sterile jar, cover with a little more oil and store them in the fridge, will last about 6 weeks in the fridge, use as needed.

I do this with Garlic, chillies and ginger, I'll buy a few of the mixed chilli packs from aldi and do this every now and then, best solution I've come up with as I don't like the texture of dried chillies.
    i do something similar with the chilli packs from aldi, except i use rice wine vinegar to pickle them instead of using the oil.

i've got a big jar in the fridge that's lasted the best part of 3 months Ii really should use them more!) and they're still perfect. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I've made barbeque sauce with chillis before it's yum! recipe here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

a couple of years ago I had a Chicken in Chillies in Beijing.
    4667505002_2912fd3152_d.jpg
    It was small deep fried chicken pieces tossed in Chillies and you pick the chicken out with chop sticks. Delicious.

I cant seem to find a recipe though !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

ElleEm wrote: »
    Post up your recipe/ method.
    I use Nigella's recipe, which calls for jam sugar. Did u use that?
    no, i didnt. the receipe i used is: 400g chopped tomatoes, 10 chillies, 5 red peppers, 6 garlic cloves, chunk of ginger, 700g sugar, 200ml red wine vinegar. i also added 3 apples cubed into it and i think it was very nice addition. will try with jam sugar next time, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

tsuzmir wrote: »
    no, i didnt. the receipe i used is: 400g chopped tomatoes, 10 chillies, 5 red peppers, 6 garlic cloves, chunk of ginger, 700g sugar, 200ml red wine vinegar. i also added 3 apples cubed into it and i think it was very nice addition. will try with jam sugar next time, thanks!

Yeah, you need jam sugar, it has pectin added which helps the jam to set.

Advertisement