Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which tablet to buy

Options
  • 17-02-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I was going to buy a tablet but there seems to be too many options out there.

Maybe someone can suggest one for me. Here is what I need it for etc.

Mainly used for browsing, checking mails, watching videos.
    Will rarely travel with it.
    Price - up to 400 Euro
    Dont want anything that feels cheap.
    No need to use over phone network.
    Want one as light as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭rn

Hi Looters...
    You haven't been too specific in your requirements - I'm guessing you are not too "tech savy"?

On that assumption and if lightness is your main requirement, then I'm going to suggest you look at Ipad mini's... Well within your budget range. It has an 7.9 inch screen. If you feel that is too small, I think the larger 10inch Ipad 2 comes in on budget for you @ 399.

If you require android - limit yourself to the the premium Samsung brand as they are in well within your price range. Choose from Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for a 10inch screen or the Tab 2 7.0.

So the choice for you is:
    Lighter 7inch tablet v heavier 10 inch
    Apple v Samsung (Android)

Personally I favour Andoid, so the Samsungs would be my choice.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I'm also looking for advice on what tablet to buy. I'm not too concerned about budget, but don't want to spend a lot of extra money on features I will never use.

From talking to people, my sense is that I would be better off getting an Android tablet rather than an iPad. I guess that acolytes of Apple will disagree strongly with that and I'm prepared to listen to (in fact, I would welcome) any reasoned arguments about why an iPad is better than an Android tablet.

I don't have any existing Apple products except for an iPod. My phone is a Blackberry provided by my employer, but I will probably buy a smartphone when I retire in a few years time.

I primarily want the tablet for browsing the internet while I'm on holidays. I have an apartment in Portugal and spend a few weeks over there each year and I'm hoping to spend more time there after I retire. There is wifi in the reception area of the resort, but not in my apartment.

I would like the tablet to have 3g connectivity as well as wifi, but I'm conscious that roaming costs can be extremely high, so would intend using the 3g option sparingly (unless someone can advise on how this can be done cost effectively).

I would prefer a 10 inch screen to a mini tablet and it seems to me that the best option is the Samsung Galaxy. Is this correct? I know it's a matter of opinion, but I guess that's what I'm looking for, from those who are more tech savvy than me.

If I do go for the Samsung Galaxy is it worth paying an extra €160 to get the Note instead of the GT-P5110. As far as I can tell, the main differences are that the Note has a quad core processor (instead of dual core in the GT-P5110) and a stylus. Are there other significant differences?

Finally, the best price I've seen is €319 for the GT-P5110 and €479 for the Note at both Curry's and PC World. Should I shop around a bit more or buy it online?

Thanks in advance.

abff

Hi Folks

I know I asked a lot of questions in the above posting, but don't feel you have to answer all of them. Any advice or answers to any of the questions would be very welcome.

Thanks
    abff

OK, final attempt to get some/any response. If no one can provide any actual advice on this topic, I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the direction of somewhere that I might find appropriate advice. Or is it just that there are so many different choices and so many different options that there's no clear cut answer to this question and it all comes down to a matter of personal taste and available budget?

Thanks
    abff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Tablets are developing so rapidly that although I have an ipad I would have no hesitation in buying the top of the range amazon fire or a good quality android made by a known brand like Samsung.

Probably best to stay away from the junky ones and just go with a quality brand from a shop that offers an iron clad one year warranty.

If you use an android phone then go with an android tablet.

Some of the projects coming out in the next six months are very cool, take your time and enjoy the investigation.

You can look it up on your ipad..... Oops....

• Advertisement

Thanks Doc.

You mention I can look it up on my iPad - is there a particular website you recommend or should I just google it? If the latter, can you suggest some keywords that might reduce the number of hits to a manageable level?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I'm in the market for a tablet myself at the moment and although I have an iPhone, I think I'll be going for an Android tablet.

The one that I'm interested in is Samsung - Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with 16GB Memory. PC World are doing them for €319 at the moment, which is a very good price. This tablet was released in June 2011 but it is still a very good device compared to the newer models.
    And although this device does not have 3G, I think it is a very good device for the money. You could always tether your phone to it for the 3G.

Thanks claiva. That's what I'm thinking of getting myself, but I might do a bit of playing around with a few different tablets before I make a final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

abff wrote: »
    Thanks Doc.

You mention I can look it up on my iPad - is there a particular website you recommend or should I just google it? If the latter, can you suggest some keywords that might reduce the number of hits to a manageable level?

Check out 'stuff magazine' cnet, wired, gizmodo, they will all have links.

Most importantly enjoy the decision. If you choose a top brand name with a warranty then you won't have any problems. Things are developing so quickly you will probably give your new tablet away in one or two years for the latest one.
    I'm keeping an eye on the newer versions of the chromebook for google. for giggles. If I buy a new cheap laptop it will have to run iTunes a helluva lot better than my current one.
    I don't know if any of the latest tablets are splash proof like the latest phones but that would be a real positive for me. I'm sure one or two will be before the summer.
    Anyhoo, I can't respond to any more posts this week so remember:
    Quality brand + reputable warranty signed in triplicate = peace of mind.

Thanks Doc. Sounds like good advice.

• Advertisement

I've decided to buy an iPad with just wifi connection and 16gb storage. I allowed myself to be talked into getting the iPad 2 on grounds that I would probably wouldn't get much extra value from an iPad 4, but I'm now starting to second guess myself. I haven't opened the box yet, so I think I can bring it back and exchange it without any problems.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

looters wrote: »
    I was going to buy a tablet but there seems to be too many options out there.

Maybe someone can suggest one for me. Here is what I need it for etc.

Mainly used for browsing, checking mails, watching videos.
    I've decided to buy an iPad with just wifi connection and 16gb storage.

I have this exact model

I do love the ipod but I think the ipad is overpriced and the restrictions
    really annooy me
    having to convert a video you put on it is bull and hassle
    can live with the music as i only use the ipod for that

you can't stream a match or watch stuff on these kinda sites
    as they require flash and you can't get flash to work on it
    its ridiculous for the amount of money they cost

I havent used any other tablets but I for me i'll be looking for
    an android tablet very soon as i'll be selling mine

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

I've decided to buy an iPad with just wifi connection and 16gb storage. I allowed myself to be talked into getting the iPad 2 on grounds that I would probably wouldn't get much extra value from an iPad 4, but I'm now starting to second guess myself. I haven't opened the box yet, so I think I can bring it back and exchange it without any problems.

For the money you're paying for the iPad, I'd honestly reconsider an Android (branded) tablet.

You won't go wrong with any of the Samsung choices...they are all excellent, especially the Note!

In addition, because you use a Blackberry phone, you could look at the fabulous Blackberry Playbook 64gb (€159 PCworld) although it is only a 7 inch screen...maybe buy both!!! lol

Whatever you decide, I hope you really enjoy your purchase!:)

Thanks. I ended up going with the iPad 4. I know it's mad money, but they say it's much more intuitive and easier to learn how to use for someone of my advanced years!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Thanks. I ended up going with the iPad 4. I know it's mad money, but they say it's much more intuitive and easier to learn how to use for someone of my advanced years!

That's true but you sound like you're well capable of taking on new challenges, whatever decade you're in!!! lol :cool:

iPad 4 is gorgeous so you'll have no regrets!! :D

Thanks. Using it now to browse. Quality of display is incredible!

Advertisement