Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Java EE technologies are used for server side programming?

Options
  • 17-02-2013 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello to all,

I am building a website using Java API entity classes and Enterprise Java Beans. Are these technologies used in "real-life" applications?

Are there other technologies out there that are more suitable? I have read a little about JavaServer Faces and Spring Hibernate and am wondering could I use these for my website.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Are you building the website to achieve something or just to learn?

But I would say a big "no" for EJB, hibernate is certainly used for ORM, but is likely overkill for a small website.
    Whats the site going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I've *never* seen EJB used... the whole EE thing was a bit of a disaster.

Hibernate and JSF are certainly used in the real world though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

ChRoMe wrote: »

I have, several times. It's not brilliant in a lot of use cases, but performs admirably in several. Most of those cases now have better alternatives though e.g. web services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Ive built several production systems with EJBs mostly in the financial services area. A J2EE app on IBM websphere with either DB2 or Oracle in the background seemed to be their preferred choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

ChRoMe wrote: »

I have - in financial, public service and retail applications. On Sun's iPlanet or IBM Websphere. Robust and scalable. (Buy a ticket for the London Eye or Madame Tussauds - that's J2EE,EJBs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

lynchie wrote: »
    Ive built several production systems with EJBs mostly in the financial services area. A J2EE app on IBM websphere with either DB2 or Oracle in the background seemed to be their preferred choice.
    I have - in financial, public service and retail applications. On Sun's iPlanet or IBM Websphere. Robust and scalable. (Buy a ticket for the London Eye or Madame Tussauds - that's J2EE,EJBs)

+1 to both of these. They may be somewhat niche in terms of the spaces where they are used, but EJBs do indeed have their uses. It just happens that at least some of those spaces are the ones where there the high cost associated with the likes WebSphere and WebLogic can be afforded, so unless you're in that space you may be completely unaware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mcdbd

GreeBo wrote: »
    Are you building the website to achieve something or just to learn?

Whats the site going to do?

I want to get a programming job. I want to learn, and also demonstrate that I can build something that would be usable in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

then i would recommend looking at more recent technologies, will have a much wider appeal.

Advertisement