Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parvo!

• 17-02-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

we were going to pick up our puppy from the pound tomorrow but we just found out she caught parvo :( what are her chances at 3 months old :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

My dog caught parvo at 8 weeks and was rushed to the vet. He spent 5 days in there under constant watch and got superb care and thankfully came through it....the vet said he was a little miracle because a puppy of his size should not have survived....fingers crossed, chin up and plenty of prayers and hopefully he will be ok....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Depends on how soon it was caught, how she is treated, and how strong she is.
    There are no guarantees and even a very strong dog can die from it.
    Don't give up hope though, I had a dog that developed parvo right after we brought him home, he lived 16 years, and vets told us there wasn't much hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I think its been caught fairly early but im worried as she was being treated for worms too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Got a fox terrier X from pound 3 yrs ago.

Within a few days had to take it to vet where it was diagnosed with parvo.
    Had to stay in for 2 days intensive care; but luckly it survived and is now a much loved part of the family.

In one sense, you are lucky it was still in the pound as it can be expensive in the vets.

paulgalway wrote: »
    Got a fox terrier X from pound 3 yrs ago.

Within a few days had to take it to vet where it was diagnosed with parvo.
    Had to stay in for 2 days intensive care; but luckly it survived and is now a much loved part of the family.

In one sense, you are lucky it was still in the pound as it can be expensive in the vets.
    I realy would pay anything if it ment she was safe. I dont think the pound will pay anyway as the warden had already signed for her to go to us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Do pounds pay for vet treatment for sick animals? I thought pounds are merely holding areas for strays/surrenders to do their 5 or 1 days?

Magenta wrote: »
    Do pounds pay for vet treatment for sick animals? I thought pounds are merely holding areas for strays/surrenders to do their 5 or 1 days?

her 5 days are up tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If you can afford it, and they let you, I would get her out of there tomorrow and into the vets. Some pounds are obviously better than others, but most won't send a dog with parvo to a vet's surgery to be on a drip etc, and have a fighting chance.

Best of luck with it, poor little pup, not a great start to life :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

My pup had suspected parvo at a similar age. The vet said the symptoms were classic parvo, but the test can back negative, which the vet said may have been because she had already started her course of vaccinations. However the good news is that she managed to pull through :) I had come home from work and noticed she wasn't herself, but couldn't see anything obviously wrong with her. Decided to take her to the after hours vet, which was the best thing I did as the vet said if I had left her overnight she wouldnt have made it. So funny, when leaving the vets, she gave him a 'wooo woooo wooo' - it really was like 'thanks for making me better' and after that she LOVED visiting the vets - bizzare! I've got my fingers crossed for your little pup

ISDW wrote: »
    If you can afford it, and they let you, I would get her out of there tomorrow and into the vets. Some pounds are obviously better than others, but most won't send a dog with parvo to a vet's surgery to be on a drip etc, and have a fighting chance.

Best of luck with it, poor little pup, not a great start to life :(
    Oh they had her out and in the vet before they even told me ther very good

• Advertisement

PucaMama wrote: »
    Oh they had her out and in the vet before they even told me ther very good

Wow, I'm very impressed, she's got a fighting chance then.

Wow, I'm very impressed, she's got a fighting chance then.
    Oh thank god wet so worried over her

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

we were going to pick up our puppy from the pound tomorrow but we just found out she caught parvo :( what are her chances at 3 months old :(

Our dog got parvo when she was about two months old, remember putting her in a doggie bed but she seemed to prefer laying on the cold tiles in the kitchen.
    Touch and go for the first couple of days but pulled through it. She is now about 10years old still going stronge.

Things are looking good today vets say its a mild positive for parvo

Things are looking good today vets say its a mild positive for parvo

great news, fingers and paws still crossed for her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

great news, fingers and paws still crossed for her :)

Yes, we are all rooting for her! Keep us posted.

I am pie wrote: »

Yes, we are all rooting for her! Keep us posted.
    She's drinking a bit by herself now :)

She's drinking a bit by herself now :)
    Also raising her head and wagging her tail shes a little fighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

That's brilliant news. I was dreading having a look at this thread today. Looking forward to reading about more improvement tomorrow.

She ate this morning :) just waiting to see can she keep it down

• Advertisement

She ate this morning :) just waiting to see can she keep it down
    Shes coming home in the morning

Shes coming home in the morning

thats brilliant news, absolutely delighted for her and you. Was she the only pup in the pound, or was she there with her littermates?

thats brilliant news, absolutely delighted for her and you. Was she the only pup in the pound, or was she there with her littermates?
    Poor thing was on her own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Poor thing was on her own

Not anymore :D Such a happy ending!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Awwww delighted for you and your pup :)

Opened up the thread dreading reading it, lovely story, fair play to the pound for getting her into the vet.

Enjoy your new pup :) Take it easy the first few days with her, she'll need to build herself up after being wormed and having even a mild dose of parvo.

Best wishes to you all :)

Thanks everyone for the support :)
    Plenty of pics to follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Same thing happened to us after we got our rescue pup.
    We had her a couple of days and she went from being happy and healthy to nearly at deaths door in the space of an afternoon.
    The vet thought it was parvo at first but turned out it wasn't in the end.
    She spent a few days at the vets and fully recovered.
    My vet said it happens a lot with rescues and pound puppies because the have already got God knows what going on in their system and then as soon as they get to the rescue center they give them the shots for parvo etc and it just flares whatever might be in their systems up.

That's fantastic news. I bet tomorrow can't come quickly enough. Does she have a name?

pics in the pic thread :)

• Advertisement

Just had a look. She's a real cutie. Well done you for giving her a loving safe home and a place where she can recover from her ordeal. She's a lucky dog.

Advertisement