Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2013

• 17-02-2013 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm starting a log here for any and all who want to log their plans & training miles for The Cork City Marathon this year. I joined in on the DCM improvers log last year and found it a great motivational tool and got great advise along the way which really did help come race day.Hopefully this will keep me motivated this year. Might be a few weeks too late for some plans ( mines a 15 week plan ), but just pop it in if youre interested.
    ( Otherwise, I'm gonna be Johnny no-mates :o )

Quote the post and edit out the quote section to add your own details.

Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.30|0|0|0| 0 km | Plan starts Monday. Ran 3.27 last year, aiming for 3.15
    ||||||
    ||||||
    ||||||

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    ( Otherwise, I'm gonna be Johnny no-mates :o )

Can't leave you hanging so! I'm doing CCM, but I'm already starting my fourth week of training for it. My total km only includes the last three weeks. Best of luck with your training mr.wiggle :)

Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.30|0|0|0| 0 km | Plan starts Monday. Ran 3.27 last year, aiming for 3.15
    scriba|P&D 18/55|4|0|0| 179.32 km | Starting week 4 this week. Target is 3:45 :)
    ||||||
    ||||||
    ||||||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.30|1|6|52 km| 52 km |Getting into the routine was hard, but did enjoy the run on Sunday, great weather.
    scriba|P&D 18/55|4|0|0| 179.32 km | Starting week 4 this week. Target is 3:45 :)
    ||||||
    ||||||
    ||||||

Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.30|1|6|52 km| 52 km |Getting into the routine was hard, but did enjoy the run on Sunday, great weather.
    scriba|P&D 18/55|4|5|68km| 247.43 km | Grand week, getting tougher, Sunday was a gift.
    ||||||
    ||||||
    ||||||

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Karenmtob

scriba wrote: »
    scriba|P&D 18/55|4|5|68km| 247.43 km | Grand week, getting tougher, Sunday was a gift.
    karenmtob|hal higdon novice 1|4|5|33km| 95 km | long runs are getting longer
    ||||||
    ||||||
    ||||||
    :)

Hola fellow CC marathoners...midway thru week 2 and my calfs are on fire...to the foam roller I go ! Forgot how tough the LT runs are...feet up tonight for me!

• Advertisement

Hola fellow CC marathoners...midway thru week 2 and my calfs are on fire...to the foam roller I go ! Forgot how tough the LT runs are...feet up tonight for me!

My quads are giving out like mad. I too will be having an aul roll tonight!

My quads are giving out like mad. I too will be having an aul roll tonight!

Hi there,
    5 miles for me this evening 41 mins. Might go for a swim tomorrow before work, dreading the LSR (10 miles) planned for Sat or Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Hey guys,

Sorry for hijacking your thread! Just thinking about doing the marathon or half marathon this year. Just have a few questions.

I mainly train G.A.A so don't really do long distance running very often. Since I would probably be able to train long distance only 1 night a week is it even feasible to try to complete a marathon? I'm not aiming for any time or anything, just looking to finish the race. I would be above average as regards fitness for a G.A.A player but I realise that goes out the window when it comes to long distance running.

Any insights? Thanks :)

Kevcol wrote: »
    Since I would probably be able to train long distance only 1 night a week is it even feasible to try to complete a marathon?

While not qualified to give a definitive answer on this, I'll give my opinion. Short answer: no. To run a marathon, you have to get miles and miles into your legs, so that you build up the necessary endurance. It's a different kind of fitness to what you require on a pitch. Without going into too much detail, different paced runs bring different benefits. So you'd have to do a long run each week, programmes generally recommend building it up to 20-22 miles max. You supplement that with some easy runs of varied distances. If you look online at hal higdon's marathon programmes, the novice programmes will give you a guide as to what'd be required to get you over the line. Then the question is that age old one, would the running you do in your GAA training translate into an equivalent session in a marathon training programme? Effort doesn't necessarily come into it, it's more a question of whether what you do in your GAA training would bring the same distance-running specific benefits that the marathon programme session would bring? But there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, so if you repost your question on the main AR forum, you'd get a lot of answers. It's a question that pops up every year though, so be prepared for a variety of answers. :)

Having said all that, if you're fit and able, and could allocate one session a week towards building a long continuous run from a handy distance all the way up to 12-13 miles, you'd have no bother finishing a half marathon, especially if you could fit one or two shorter runs in during the week (pace wouldn't matter), even after training. It might be a good option to do a half first, simply to see how your body reacts to distance running, and if you like it.

Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Karenmtob wrote: »
    Hi there,
    5 miles for me this evening 41 mins. Might go for a swim tomorrow before work, dreading the LSR (10 miles) planned for Sat or Sunday.

Hi K, is there anyone you can do the LSR's with on Sunday? It does make the distances seem that bit shorter when youre able to have a bit of a chat or some banter with a fellow slogger. Joined a group last Sunday and the miles flew by. Just got off the phone with another buddy and have him roped in for this Sundays run. Even if its only for a few of your miles it would be a help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Thanks for the post scriba, sounds like pretty solid advice. I'm going to try a night a week of running training and I'll see how I go from there. Cheers

Hi K, is there anyone you can do the LSR's with on Sunday? It does make the distances seem that bit shorter when youre able to have a bit of a chat or some banter with a fellow slogger. Joined a group last Sunday and the miles flew by. Just got off the phone with another buddy and have him roped in for this Sundays run. Even if its only for a few of your miles it would be a help.

Hi Mr Wiggle,
    Don't really have someone to do the long runs with, but may try to get a partner for part of the slog! If I did find someone to do the LSr's would it matter if they run at a slower pace than me, e.g if I was hoping to do 9 minute mile and say they were doing a 9.30 min mile, or is it just about getting the miles in the legs? Any thoughts on this

Hi K, youre right about the LSR's being about getting the miles into the legs. Plus the LSR's should really be run at a slower pace than the rest of your weekly shorter runs so you dont end up getting an injury. I know running with a slower partner can seem at times frustrating but if youre aiming for a 4hr marathon, then 9.30 mile LSR's do seem about right IMO.

Hi K, youre right about the LSR's being about getting the miles into the legs. Plus the LSR's should really be run at a slower pace than the rest of your weekly shorter runs so you dont end up getting an injury. I know running with a slower partner can seem at times frustrating but if youre aiming for a 4hr marathon, then 9.30 mile LSR's do seem about right IMO.

Hi Mr W,
    Did my 10 mile run this morning, finished it in 90 minutes, which included two 1 minute walking breaks, the first one was to help me get up a very steep hill and the second one was justto take a break from the momentum of running. Felt fine til mile 8, when the legs started to feel it, lungs were fine, but I was happy that I still managed to maintain my average speed. At the moment the pace of my mid week runs would probably be between 5.00 - 5.10KM, what do you think I should be aiming for in the LSR's is was about 5.35 KM today, should I be slowing it down a bit?

Also from a recovery point of view, what is the best to eat/ drink post LSR's?

Hi K, your LSR should be at least 45 secs to 1 min slower than your PMP , thats the general advice most trainers give . The LSR is all about the distance and not the times...thats what I keep in mind as I'm slogging it out every Sunday.:pac:

Post LSR there's only one drink for me and thats 500ml of chocolate milk !
    Cant beat it...cadburys drinking chocolate with low fat milk...mm..mm..mmmm !

Keep it up , it only gets easier !:pac::pac:

Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.30|2|6|62 km| 114 km |Midweek LT run was a killer
    Karenmtob|hal higdon novice 1|4|5|33km|95km|longruns are getting longer
    ||||||
    ||||||

Hi Karen, be sure to delete the quotes at the start and finish of the post when youre editing the table...

scriba | P&D 18/55 | 5 | 4 | 58.56 km | 305.99km | Racing in Ballycotton so a short week. :)
    ||||||
    ||||||

Hi K, your LSR should be at least 45 secs to 1 min slower than your PMP , thats the general advice most trainers give . The LSR is all about the distance and not the times...thats what I keep in mind as I'm slogging it out every Sunday.:pac:

I was thinking about this a couple of weeks ago, and if its 45secs to 1 min for mile pace, would it not then be something like 28 to 38 secs slower if you run at km pace? I do all my long runs (except the ones which tell me to run at my goal marathon pace) 22 to 55 seconds slower than goal pace, based on someone telling me 30-90 secs per mile. Seems to be working for me so far. :)

But yeah, the LSR is all about endurance, getting your body used to time on your feet. Save the speed for a session during the week. Younganne's training log for DCM last year was all about slower distance running and shorter fast sessions, and she got great results.

Hi Scriba, how'd you get on in Ballycotton....cold morning for it i'd say!?

Hi Scriba, how'd you get on in Ballycotton....cold morning for it i'd say!?

Jesus was it what! Yeah, it was a bit nippy hanging around, but grand once the race started. I was very pleased, waiting on my official time to be confirmed, but I clocked myself in just under 76 mins. Means the training is doing me good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

scriba | P&D 18/55 | 5 | 4 | 58.56 km | 305.99km | Racing in Ballycotton so a short week. :)
    ncmc|P&D 18 week up to 55 miles|5|5|45|291| Highest mileage week to date last week incl Ballycotton 10
    ||||||
    I'll join if that's ok, although I am notorious for messing up tables! This will be my second marathon after DCM last year. Did DCM in 3:57, targeting somewhere between 3:30-3:45 for Cork, hopefully closer to 3:30 but my main goal is to get a good for age time that will get me into London Marathon 2014 (good for age time this year was 3:50)

Only took me 4 attempts to add myself to the above table! That's a new record :D

Karenmtob|hal higdon novice 1|5|5|40km|135km|Good week, LSR was enjoyable
    ncmc|P&D 18 week up to 55 miles|5|5|45|291| Highest mileage week to date last week incl Ballycotton 10
    ||||||
    Hopefully I haven't screwed up the table MR W.

ncmc wrote: »
    Did DCM in 3:57, targeting somewhere between 3:30-3:45 for Cork, hopefully closer to 3:30 but my main goal is to get a good for age time that will get me into London Marathon 2014 (good for age time this year was 3:50)

I'd love to do London, but I'm not going to hit the good-for-age of 3:10 this year, or maybe any year! :eek:

Welcome to the thread ncmc, and nice work Mr. Wiggle. If you build it, they will come. Anyone else feeling a bit tired in the legs this week? And what things, if any, are you doing in terms of maintenance for the legs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

I'd love to do London, but I'm not going to hit the good-for-age of 3:10 this year, or maybe any year! :eek:

Welcome to the thread ncmc, and nice work Mr. Wiggle. If you build it, they will come. Anyone else feeling a bit tired in the legs this week? And what things, if any, are you doing in terms of maintenance for the legs?

Yip, just into week 3 and i had to give Tuesdays run a miss due to sore knees/legs. Had something similar when started the plan last year and remember running anyways and being out of action for a week afterwards. With that in mind i rested Tuesday and Wednesdays slow run was good. Off to do my fast intervals in the rain and wind here in Mallow..can't beat it!:pac:

Welcome ncmc, and good job on the table Karenmtob, you won't be barred just yet!:P

The difference in male and female GFA times for London are crazy, for women it’s between 3:10-3:50 and under 3:10 for men :confused: Not sure if every woman who gets under 3:50 gets accepted though. Bar a major blow up on June 3rd, that should be fairly doable for me.

My legs are definitely tired this morning. Did 5 miles recovery on Monday and 8 miles last night with some strides and my knee was definitely sore after the strides. I even tried *foam rolling which I normally avoid like the plague!

*Although it should be noted that my version of foam rolling involves me rolling for about 30 seconds, complaining that it hurts too much and throwing the roller in the corner to gather dust for another month. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

my knee was definitely sore after the strides. I even tried *foam rolling which I normally avoid like the plague!

*Although it should be noted that my version of foam rolling involves me rolling for about 30 seconds, complaining that it hurts too much and throwing the roller in the corner to gather dust for another month. :o
    I'm great at giving advice *not so good at taking it* :o

Ahem!:pac:

^^^ I should have known you’d spot that! :D

At least I’m honest and accept my failings…. That’s the only one I have though, other than that I’m pretty damn perfect :cool:

• Advertisement

Off to do my fast intervals in the rain and wind here in Mallow..can't beat it!:pac:

Well, it wasn't too bad..stayed on local back roads, so no wind blasts, and the rain was more of a mist. The fast miles x 4 were tough but I do get a good sense of achievement after the midweek runs, even more so than the long runs. I hope I continue to feel that way :pac:

Advertisement