Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2013

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Good to meet you on Monday Mr. Wiggle,not a bad photo,everyone looking relaxed beforehand & thanks for the cocktail sausages after.

Wasn't my best running day ever but survived to tell the tale(just about)

To wrap up my contribution to the Cork Thread 2013 I have my Race Report over on the Graduates thread if anyone is interested.

Well done to everyone who took part,new friends made & more races to be ran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Hey lads (blokic and steroo specifically!), did I meet you at Quills before the marathon so? There was a fella with a buggy, and another lad who disappeared pretty much as soon as I got there. If it was you, sorry I didn't get a chance to properly chat to you, and I'll meet you some other time, when I'm less scattered! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

scriba wrote: »
    Hey lads (blokic and steroo specifically!), did I meet you at Quills before the marathon so? There was a fella with a buggy, and another lad who disappeared pretty much as soon as I got there. If it was you, sorry I didn't get a chance to properly chat to you, and I'll meet you some other time, when I'm less scattered! :)

Steroo was the fella with the buggy anyway. I was hanging around Quills alright but not sure if I saw ya! I did bounce off for a while so could have been me. I'd a big blue hoody on looking like I'd just left the catwalk.. :D

blockic wrote: »
    Steroo was the fella with the buggy anyway. I was hanging around Quills alright but not sure if I saw ya! I did bounce off for a while so could have been me. I'd a big blue hoody on looking like I'd just left the catwalk.. :D

I think I may have arrived just as you were leaving so. A vision in blue, you were... and pure catwalk! :P That's great, mystery solved, sound blokic!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Karenmtob

A big thank you to Mr W for starting this thread, the advice & words of encouragement helped me train and complete my first marathon. I enjoyed the experience and glad i took the advice that you only ever have a first so enjoy it!
    Best of luck to everyone in their quest for p.b's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Firstly I'd like to apologise for the length of this but this is the shortened version. I haven't written a race report before and I don't have a training log yet (something which I may remedy for the next target) so I'll just post my post mortem here if that's ok. The few days leading up to the marathon I was like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. I notice that the longer the race and the more pain I'm going to go through, then the more I seem to look forward to it. But that's the norm around here I guess.

The morning of the race I was up at 5.30 because I wanted to get the brekkie in early. Nothing too heavy, just a banana, jam & bread, granola bar and a coffee. Mrs Eco and the kids were ousted from their beds at 7.20 to drop me off in town and after a quick change in city hall it was off to Quills to meet a few Boardsies. It was great to meet up with some of the regulars on this thread and put some faces to the names. A quick photo and a few best wishes and it was off to the start. I love the start line before the gun and all the excitement that goes with it. A quick salute to Heffo as I crossed the start line and we were off.

This was my 2nd marathon and I had picked what I thought was an achieveable target. My most recent half marathon was back in December in Clonakilty where I ran 1.35 which I was delighted with because I finally finished a race strong. If I was going in a half soon, I would probably target about 1.32 and my most recent race was a 40.53 10km UCC race, so I thought a target of 3.25 on Monday was possible and if not maybe sneaking in under the 3.30.

Miles 1 - 6: 7.39, 7.47, 7.43, 7.40, 7.48, 7.50
    Mile 1 was probably a little quick as I wanted to try to maintain about 7.45-7.50. I threw half a high 5 tab into the first water bottle as I wanted to start to get these in early to avoid the dreaded cramp I got in Dublin. I only drank about half of these bottles which may have been my first mistake. I took a gel at mile 4 and another high 5 at mile 6. I saw the great Downie Walsh on the way out of the city as he was probably supporting his son Karl (my old class mate & cross country running team mate) who finished 6th.

Miles 7 - 13: 7.50, 7.40, 7.44, 7.40, 7.37, 7.51, 8.19
    Heading downhill into the tunnel I had a look at the watch before it lost the signal and it was reading 6.48:eek:. I was trying to take advantage of the downhill before facing the climb out of the tunnel but this may have been a bit fast in hindsight. Even with the climb I ran 7.40 for mile 8. At mile 9 I joined up with 3 others and we chatted and seemed to be going around the same pace so the 4 of us stuck together for a few miles. One of the lads talked a lot and was quite funny so these few miles flew by. On mile 13 I disclosed that I had to take a leak soon and chatty funny guy told me that I'd be better off going sooner rather than later as it only elevates the heart rate when you try to hold it. This was enough for me and I quickly jumped a wall just before the halfway mark not realising that the portaloo's were just up ahead. I went through halfway in 1.41.45. Considering I ran the half marathon last year in 1.39 this may have been a little quick but up to this point I was feeling good and I thought there was an advantage in keeping with our little group. One of the other guys had stopped in the portaloo so the 2 of set off on the 2nd half together.

Miles 14 - 21: 7.43, 7.35, 7.37, 7.45, 7.50, 8.16, 8.18, 8.38.

Another mistake here (one of many I'm sure) was that we were eager to rejoin the other two lads and we decided to make our way back gradually to them. This was a mistake, at least for me, as miles 15 & 16 were way too quick at 7.35 and 7.37. It was mile 17 when I noticed I was starting to tire and tire quickly but I stuck with my new buddy and even though there wasn't much chat it was good to run with someone. My family were at mile 19 and I had started to slow at this stage though you'd never know it the way I ran past them. It's like when you see a camera pointed at you and you immediately perk up. This is the area I grew up in so it was great to see so many out supporting the race. On mile 21 going up the short steep hill in Wilton I decided I was going to walk to the top. I'm sorry I did this now as I think it only made it easier to stop again later. Running buddy tried to encourage me to keep going but after cramping going up Heartbreak Hill in Dublin, I thought that walking would make me avoid the dreaded cramp here. Its funny how our mind finds excuses.

Miles 22-24: 9.08, 9.52, 9.40.
    Heading out the model farm road things continued to deteriorate. The thought of keeping ahead of the 3.30 pacers the only thing forcing me to run but I knew I was fighting a losing battle. Just before Inchigaggin Lane they passed and I heard the pacer say that they had 1min in the bank. There was no way I was going to manage 3 x 8min miles at this stage at they may as well have been 5min miles. Onto the straight road with a long 3 miles to go and I spotted one guy from the 3.30 group being treated on the ground. My left hamstring was extremely tight and on the verge of cramping.

Miles 25-26.36: 11.34, 11.21, 3.51
    This is where it got really ugly. With 2 miles to go I decided I would try to push on to the finish line. As soon as I picked up the pace my right thigh (I think it's called adductor muscle) began to cramp and I let out a roar like an extra from Braveheart. I think the runners in front of me got a fright as they all turned back, wondering what kind of creature was chasing them. Rubbing the muscle and pouring water on it helped but it began cramping again as soon as I started to run. A steward at the 25mile mark asked if I would be able to finish so I must have looked bad. I thought it a silly question with only a mile to go but thanked him and carried on eventually crossing the line in 3.40.28 a PB of 3min24sec over Dublin.

At this stage some guy put a 20lb lead weight around my neck and I found the nearest place to sit down. Things were a little hazy around this time and a few guys were trying to help me out (including Docjewel, cheers Doc) by giving me something to eat but I was just too nauseous and I believe I was speaking something resembling the dialect of a lost Inca tribe. After some time I tried queuing for the physio tent, and by queuing I mean sit on the ground in the middle of the queue. Then the dreaded cramp returned and I'd like to thank everyone ahead of me in the queue who helped me up to the front to see the physio. After one look at my pale complexion the physio called the first aid tent and they promptly arrived with a wheelchair which I thought was a little funny. I knew I was starting to recover by how embarrassed I felt being wheeled up Patrick street. 30mins earlier I wouldn't have cared. I think I'll have to change my Boards name to 'Mash' as this is the 2nd marathon and 2nd time in the first aid tent. After sitting on a chair for 20mins someone checked my blood and told me I was ok to go, so I missed my massage for nothing.
    It was a long hike over to city hall to get my gear and back to the woodford but the thought of a pint and packet of crisps kept me going. I was sorry I couldn't stay longer with the other Boardsies as I was enjoying the running chat and the 2nd pint tasted better than the first but Mrs Eco was outside with the two little Eco's so it was time to bid adieu.

If somebody had told me beforehand I was going to run 3.40 I would have been disappointed but somehow I'm ok with it. I've just ran my 2nd marathon which is something to be happy about and I enjoyed the first 19miles of the race. I think I've learned a few things which I'll take on board for Dublin and my next 3.30 attempt. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Yea that was myself, no bother at all, you were all ready for a marathon so we can catch up next year when I can actually run the race please god.

Great to meet you ecoenergy, and great report. You stuck at it and got a decent PB in too. The heat probably meant you were working harder for your splits than normal, particularly in the 10 - 20 mile chunk of the race. Well done, and I'll catch you again. Well, catch you at the start anyway, rather than on the course itself. :)

Steroo wrote: »
    Yea that was myself, no bother at all, you were all ready for a marathon so we can catch up next year when I can actually run the race please god.

Ha, yeah, I was fairly scattered. Hope the recovery is ticking along nicely. Anything on the horizon for you, race-wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Great trip report Ecoenergy, it was so funny when DocJewel came into the pub and said he had seen you and that you had tried to tell him your time but he couldn’t understand a word you said! It really shows that you left absolutely nothing out there and although I know you were a little disappointed at the time, you should be proud of yourself for pulling a PB out of the bag with all that was going on. I was worried about you in the pub afterwards, you didn’t look at all well! Still you seemed to perk up a bit after the pint and crisps (new miracle recovery food maybe?) So glad you’re feeling better now and feeling good about the whole race.

I’m sure a 3:30 will be no bother to you in Dublin, overall, I think it’s an easier race than Cork and the cooler weather conditions will have you crossing that line in 3:2X :)

• Advertisement

Cheers N,

I'm thinking of targeting the following 10km and hopefully a pb, if the sun behaves itself, before heading into the next marathon program.

http://www.fitmagazine.ie/events/race/cork-fit-magazine-series-10km/P32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Ha, yeah, I was fairly scattered. Hope the recovery is ticking along nicely. Anything on the horizon for you, race-wise?

No races for now, no running at all for another while ;( you?

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    Cheers N,

I'm thinking of targeting the following 10km and hopefully a pb, if the sun behaves itself, before heading into the next marathon program.

Nice route for that race, there is one quite steep drag up Castle Road, but then the rest of it is pancake flat, could be a nice one for a PB attempt. I think i'll skip it, I've been turned right off that route since Monday :( Shame, as I did a lot of my LSR's along that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    Cheers N,

I think I'll be doing this one. Only 6 weeks to go so not much time to get a 10km plan going!

Flat apart from by the castle as ncmc says and that now famous wonky bridge!

I think I'll be doing this one. Only 6 weeks to go so not much time to get a 10km plan going!

Is that where that bridge was? I couldn't think, that was horrible, got such a dizzy queusy feeling over that.

I'll be following something like the attached advanced plan (not that I'm an advanced runner). There's some good workouts there and I'm going to aim for a 56sec pb to go under 40min.
    Certainly no sandbagging going on here but there's no point picking easy targets. It might be time to start a Log I think.:rolleyes:

Jesus, it's on at one o'clock in the afternoon! :o

That's a handy location for me, I'll sign up for this too, should keep me ticking over for September half (or halves!). Plus, I've never done a 10k before.

Advertisement