Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Well, it wasn't too bad..stayed on local back roads, so no wind blasts, and the rain was more of a mist. The fast miles x 4 were tough but I do get a good sense of achievement after the midweek runs, even more so than the long runs. I hope I continue to feel that way :pac:
    Are you doing the Mallow 10 next week Mr Wiggle (I feel funny typing that user name :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Karenmtob

I'm on week 6 of hal higdons plan, this week is a step back week so midweek runs were 3,5 and 3. Lsr 7m. I ran the midweek ones at 9min mile pace, i would have previously ran st 8 for these, slowing everything down! I'm going to do lsr tomorrow @ 9.45 pace as weekend is too hectic with family life! Some of ye have mentioned strides or fast pace miles midweek should i be looking at this or just stick to hal's plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Off to do my fast intervals in the rain and wind here in Mallow..can't beat it!:pac:

Yuck, better you than me!
    ncmc wrote: »
    *Although it should be noted that my version of foam rolling involves me rolling for about 30 seconds, complaining that it hurts too much and throwing the roller in the corner to gather dust for another month. :o

Tell me about it. I've been doing a little, but clearly nowhere near as much as I should. I'm very bad for not doing the 'extra' stuff, like core work and rolling. Can't all problems be taken care of with simply more running? :p
    Karenmtob wrote: »
    I'm on week 6 of hal higdons plan, this week is a step back week so midweek runs were 3,5 and 3. Lsr 7m. I ran the midweek ones at 9min mile pace, i would have previously ran st 8 for these, slowing everything down! I'm going to do lsr tomorrow @ 9.45 pace as weekend is too hectic with family life! Some of ye have mentioned strides or fast pace miles midweek should i be looking at this or just stick to hal's plan?

I'm generally a fan of sticking to a plan as much as I can (doesn't mean I always do though). Just checking Hal Higdon novice 1 plan there, and it doesn't prescribe any pace work, whereas HH novice 2 has the longer midweek run at race pace every 2 from 3 weeks or so. While I am definitely no expert, considering that you were previously doing your midweek runs at around 5:00-5:10/km pace anyway, I think you could handle a plan with one session a week at the pace you want to run the marathon at. I find running at the same pace all the time quite difficult mentally, so even one midweek session at your goal marathon pace might shake things up. The other difference between Novice 1 and Novice 2 seems to be the mileage, where there's slightly more in 2, and it comes on a little earlier. Comparing the two week 7's, you have 3, 6, 3, 12 vs 4, 7, 4, 14, which is a bit of a step up in the LSR. You could stay on the mileage from HHN1, but do your Wednesday run at goal marathon pace when HHN2 asks for it, if that makes sense? It'd be interesting to see what the others think.

First of all Karen, well done on slowing things down a bit (as you may have guessed, I am a real stickler for training slow!)

Second I agree with Scriba, I would not advise running all your midweek runs at pmp. The point of Hal Higdon 1 is to get you to the start line fit enough to run 26 miles and finish in one piece. It doesn't involve speed work as Hal Higdon would not recommend speed work for first time marathoners. HOWEVER... I don't think there's any harm in doing ONE of your midweek runs at pmp. I followed HH2 last year and I did my longest midweek run at pmp every week, even if the plan did not call for a pmp run that week. I would recommend your other two mid week runs at recovery pace or a little faster, it's no harm to do a recovery run after your lsr and your pmp run anyway.

My last piece of advice would be 'have faith in the plan'. There's a reason why HH is so popular, it works! Although life will get in the way sometimes, and it isn't always possible to follow the plan 100%, I personally would try and stick to it as much as possible.

Scriba and ncmc, thanks for the advice. It really does become an obsession!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Shoxsdub

Folks is the cork hm a different route to the first half or second half. Done two legs of the relay a few years back and there was a good buzz.
    Wouldn't mind doing the hm as i have commitment issues that would rule me out of full thing

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Are you doing the Mallow 10 next week Mr Wiggle (I feel funny typing that user name :pac:)

I am indeed ncmc...gonna see you there?
    I'm hoping for a 70min run, but probably looking at a sub75 if I'm being honest. Didnt do a lot of training come Jan and Feb so reckon I'll struggle to do a PB.

Wanted Mr.Happy , but it was taken !:pac:

Shoxsdub wrote: »
    Folks is the cork hm a different route to the first half or second half. Done two legs of the relay a few years back and there was a good buzz.
    Wouldn't mind doing the hm as i have commitment issues that would rule me out of full thing

Its almost the same as the second half of the marathon course, the difference is just really at the start of the hm.
    See below from TCCM site..
    The half marathon starts on the marathon course and runs with the main marathon course along Ringmahon Road and Castle Road, as far as Blackrock Castle. Just before the castle, the half marathoners split from the main field and continue straight, following Castle Road into Blackrock Village and onto the Marina.

The two fields merge again on the Marina and follow the 2010 course along Centre Park Road to the third relay changeover on Victoria Road. From here, it joins the city's South Link Road (N27) for a short distance to run into Turner's Cross.

Through Ballyphehane, the Lough area and Glasheen, the race heads onto the Model Farm Road (R608) and the final relay changeover at Kenley.

There’s a short steep downhill immediately after the changeover, but the final four miles of the route are almost perfectly flat. At Inchigaggin Bridge the route takes a righthand turn onto The Orchards (Inchigaggin Lane) and a right turn again onto The Carrigrohane Road (N22).

At the start of the Western Road, the race turns left and right again, bringing the runners onto Mardyke Walk, passing the University’s Mardyke Arena and FitzGerald’s Park. At the eastern end of Mardyke Walk, the route crosses over Mardyke Bridge, along Slí Cumann na mBan, onto the North Mall, along Pope’s Quay and Camden Quay, crossing over St Patrick’s Bridge to the wonderful finish on St Patrick’s Street.

Well a truely depressing week, this turned out to be.
    After thinking I was doing the right thing by crying off tuesdays run and doing wed and thursdays planned runs, I was truely crippled on friday with both calfs having what can only be described as big balls of flaming flames. My right calf has cooled down and loosened up nicely tonight but my left one (which is my stronger leg) is still pretty sore. More rolling and resting and hopefully I can start week 4's plan on Monday. Reckon I put to many miles in over the past 4 weeks without a proper build up in Jan and early feb.:(

Mr.W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I know I've mentioned this elsewhere before but freeze some water in a paper cup Mr. Wiggle. Then tear off the top of the paper cup and you have a very good way of icing and massaging the area at the same time without freezing the hands off yourself. Just make sure to keep the ice moving so you don't burn the skin. When it's numb you can go on the roller or myofascial ball (something I'm investing in this week).

• Advertisement

Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.30|2|6|62 km| 114 km |Midweek LT run was a killer
    scriba | P&D 18/55 | 6 | 5 | 61.99 km | 367.98 km | week 6 down, I'll need my foam roller tomorrow, for my calves and achilles
    Karenmtob|hal higdon novice 1|5|5|40km|135km|Good week, LSR was enjoyable
    ncmc|P&D 18 week up to 55 miles|5|5|45|291| Highest mileage week to date last week incl Ballycotton 10
    ||||||

Well a truely depressing week, this turned out to be.
    After thinking I was doing the right thing by crying off tuesdays run and doing wed and thursdays planned runs, I was truely crippled on friday with both calfs having what can only be described as big balls of flaming flames. My right calf has cooled down and loosened up nicely tonight but my left one (which is my stronger leg) is still pretty sore. More rolling and resting and hopefully I can start week 4's plan on Monday. Reckon I put to many miles in over the past 4 weeks without a proper build up in Jan and early feb.:(

Mr.W
    What kind of mileage were you doing before the plan Mr W? You did a serious amount of miles the week before last, it could indeed be just the shock to your legs from the extra mileage, but to be on the safe side, it might be no harm going to a good physio and see what the story is.

Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    scriba | P&D 18/55 | 6 | 5 | 61.99 km | 367.98 km | week 6 down, I'll need my foam roller tomorrow, for my calves and achilles
    Karenmtob|hal higdon novice 1|6|5|31km|166km|Step back week for me so enjoyed it.
    ncmc|P&D 18 week up to 55 miles|5|5|45|291| Highest mileage week to date last week incl Ballycotton 10
    ||||||

I'm sticking to the plan, but getting concerned when I compare the distances ye are all covering each week! Also, any of you have a garmin footpod, changed the battery in mine and can't get it to pair with watch since, any suggestions greatly appreciated. At the moment, I've no idea of pace or distance, so have to stick to running the same routes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Hi all, I officially started training for Cork yesterday - LSR of 13 miles (I am up to 15 miles, done a few weeks ago). Ran Ballycotton last week 74:30. I'll add myself to the table at the end of the week. Up to now I'm averaging 35-45 miles a week, 6 sessions a week. Marathon PB from Dublin is 3:36 so hoping for sub 3:30 in Cork.

Karenmtob wrote: »
    I'm sticking to the plan, but getting concerned when I compare the distances ye are all covering each week! Also, any of you have a garmin footpod, changed the battery in mine and can't get it to pair with watch since, any suggestions greatly appreciated. At the moment, I've no idea of pace or distance, so have to stick to running the same routes!
    Stick to your plan Karen! I followed that plan last year and it got me a sub 4 in Dublin! The reason some of us are doing higher mileage is because it's a second or subsequent marathon and we want to build on the mileage we did last year. But trust me, Hal Higdon is a great plan, it will get you round in one piece and hopefully a good time, so don't be worrying!

Don't know anything about a footpod I'm afraid, maybe post a seperate thread in the main forum?
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Hi all, I officially started training for Cork yesterday - LSR of 13 miles (I am up to 15 miles, done a few weeks ago). Ran Ballycotton last week 74:30. I'll add myself to the table at the end of the week. Up to now I'm averaging 35-45 miles a week, 6 sessions a week. Marathon PB from Dublin is 3:36 so hoping for sub 3:30 in Cork.
    Welcome to the group jcsmum! That's a seriously impressive PB, was that your first marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Welcome to the group jcsmum! That's a seriously impressive PB, was that your first marathon?

Thanks ncmc, DCM 2012 was my 6th. I had a marathon addiction last year :rolleyes:
    I'm in 'recovery' now, just 2 marathons for me this year! :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Thanks ncmc, DCM 2012 was my 6th. I had a marathon addiction last year :rolleyes:
    I'm in 'recovery' now, just 2 marathons for me this year! :)

WOW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Karenmtob|hal higdon novice 1|6|5|31km|166km|Step back week for me so enjoyed it.
    Ecoenergy|Makey Uppy Plan|1|2|11.3M|11.3M| 8 x 800m yesterday followed by 5.75m easy today
    ||||||

CCM will be my 2nd marathon after DCM in October so hoping to improve from the 3.43 to sub 3.30. I've started a 12 week program this week which is a little bit from the Runners Connect website and a little bit makey uppy. I've been running fairly consistantly coming into this program so I'm not starting from scratch. This log will help to keep the motivation up so best of luck all.;)

ncmc|P&D 18 week up to 55 miles|6|4|25|317| Stepback week and missed my LSR :D
    Ecoenergy|Makey Uppy Plan|1|2|11.3M|11.3M| 8 x 800m yesterday followed by 5.75m easy today
    ||||||
    I was a bit lazy over the weekend and missed my 12 mile MLR. Not too worried as it was a stepback week anyway. I was away for the weekend, it's tricky sticking to the schedule when you're away. :o

Week 7 P&D this week which is a tough week and a good upswing in miles.

Ecoenergy|Makey Uppy Plan|1|3|19.9M|19.9M| 4 x 1.5mile LT Intervals
    ||||||

I was supposed to do this LT run yesterday but couldn't find the time to go out so ran it today instead and found it hard but enjoyable.

• Advertisement

What kind of mileage were you doing before the plan Mr W? You did a serious amount of miles the week before last, it could indeed be just the shock to your legs from the extra mileage, but to be on the safe side, it might be no harm going to a good physio and see what the story is.

Did nothing of note for the month of January, realised I could be in trouble come the start of my plan , so put in approx 30km for each of the first twoo weeks of feb., then up to 50km and 60km the next two weeks which was what the plan called for. Must remember not to take Jan. 2014 off !!
    Looks like I've gotten over the worst of it this week, finger crossed.
    Missed all last weekend, a 5miler and a13 mile LSR, but I've done my four runs so far this week, with only a small bit of discomfort in my right calf now tonight. I manned up and took the roller sessions seriously, and after much sweating and a few tears all seems ok. Thank God !:)

Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.30|3|3|22.55 km| 136.55 km |Calf troubles wiped out week 3
    Ecoenergy|Makey Uppy Plan|1|3|19.9M|19.9M| 4 x 1.5mile LT Intervals
    ||||||

Did nothing of note for the month of January, realised I could be in trouble come the start of my plan , so put in approx 30km for each of the first twoo weeks of feb., then up to 50km and 60km the next two weeks which was what the plan called for. Must remember not to take Jan. 2014 off !!
    Missed all last weekend, a 5miler and a13 mile LSR, but I've done my four runs so far this week, with only a small bit of discomfort in my right calf now tonight. I manned up and took the roller sessions seriously, and after much sweating and a few tears all seems ok. Thank God !:)

Glad to hear it. I had a fairly soft January myself, and went from 2 20k weeks (only 2 runs per week) straight into one 55k week before starting the 18 week programme, because the plan demanded I was 'regularly' running that. I'm lucky I'm not banjaxed.

scriba wrote: »
    Glad to hear it. I had a fairly soft January myself, and went from 2 20k weeks (only 2 runs per week) straight into one 55k week before starting the 18 week programme, because the plan demanded I was 'regularly' running that. I'm lucky I'm not banjaxed.

You two are making my calculator work overtime! You and your new fangled 'km' talk :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

You two are making my calculator work overtime! You and your new fangled 'km' talk :p

Make sure you don't get sucked in!

LOL. It means my numbers are bigger! :D

It has its downsides though, when you're running races with mile markers, the mental arithmetic gets a bit much.

blockic wrote: »
    Make sure you don't get sucked in!

Never! One day it's counting distance in kilometres, next day it's getting up at 3 am to go running... It's a slippery slope I tell you!

Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.30|3|3|22.55 km| 136.55 km |Calf troubles wiped out week 3
    Ecoenergy|Makey Uppy Plan|1|4|27M|27M| 7 Miles @ PMP
    ||||||

7 old fashioned miles today to add a little (more) fatigue to the legs before the LSR tomorrow. Every kinda weather today- sun, rain and wind.

Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.30|4|5|41 km| 177.55 km |Back into it. No LSR this weekend, mallow10 on Monday:)
    ||||||

After a frustrating week 3, week 4 has raised my spirits. Will forget about going for a PB tomorrow in Mallow and concentrate on 10miles at MP.
    ( and maybe a sneaky fast last mile to get ahead of the 75min pacers!;) )

• Advertisement

Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.30|4|5|41 km| 177.55 km |Back into it. No LSR this weekend, mallow10 on Monday:)
    Karenmtob|hal higdon novice 1|7|5|40km|206km|Good week, had a running partner for the LSR, it made all the difference
    ||||||

Advertisement