Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    Felt lousey for the 13m run on Saturday which I'm putting down to not eating properly on friday. I have to remember sausages and rashers don't add a lot of carbs. Feeling good so far this week so fingers crossed it was just an off day.
    I'm due to go for a few pints tomorow night with a friend home from Oz. I plan on only staying for 4 or 5 pints (promise;)) but I'm feeling a bit guilty when its only 10 days to go. I know I'll also be having a few beers at my niece's communion on Saturday. Whats everyone's opinion on drinking so close to the race?
    I can’t imagine a couple of beers could do any harm, once it’s not enough to leave you feeling groggy or hungover the next day. It’s not like it’s a magic bullet that’s going to wipe out all your hard work! I’d say you’d be fine to have a couple, just don’t do the total dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Ok then, you've all talked me into it. Beer it is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Just a quick question regarding the pace of my last few runs. I've searched high and low about pacing during the taper and there are wildly different opinions. 1 website says to run nothing below marathon pace. Another stated that everything should be done at an easy pace and more say to mix it up.
    I'm hugely confused Ted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Beef wrote: »
    Just a quick question regarding the pace of my last few runs. I've searched high and low about pacing during the taper and there are wildly different opinions. 1 website says to run nothing below marathon pace. Another stated that everything should be done at an easy pace and more say to mix it up.
    I'm hugely confused Ted! :)

80% of your running for the next week should be easy/recovery runs.

The other 20% should be a few marathon pace miles in one or two of the above runs (8miles with 4PMP or 6 miles with 3PMP etc.) and maybe one run with 5x100m strides.

Grand so - thanks Blockic. I've 8 to do in the morning so will do half at PMP. Next week is going to be the longest of my life. Takes me back to waiting for Christmas as a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Did 12x200m hill reps last night...woulda 'enjoyed' it more if it wasn't for all the midgies...between breathing them in and wiping em outta my eyes I just about managed the run. :pac:
    On another note...got a sports massage last monday evening an my calf's and itb are still black and blue...was gonna get anoter one next week but am too chicken now !!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

Hope everyone is tapering nicely and feeling good about next week. (we'll be 1/26th or so in by now :-)
    I want to target 3.55. Based on 10 mile and recent half marathon times it should be within my capability.
    But I would like to run with pacers. Should I go with the 4hr pacers and try to push on later in the race ? (3.45 pace is out of the question).
    Or should I go it alone for 3.55 ? I'm veering towards going with the 4hr pacers.

I am in a similar boat Chewey, I am hoping for 3:40, but have decided to head out with the 3:45 pacers and hopefully be strong enough to push on myself. I think there would be too big a risk starting at my own pace, I'd be worried that the excitement of the day would have me starting too fast. Even if you just stick with the pacers for the first 10 miles or so til you get the nerves out if the system and get a rhythm going.

That's my plan anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

ChewyLuey wrote: »
    Hope everyone is tapering nicely and feeling good about next week. (we'll be 1/26th or so in by now :-)
    I want to target 3.55. Based on 10 mile and recent half marathon times it should be within my capability.
    But I would like to run with pacers. Should I go with the 4hr pacers and try to push on later in the race ? (3.45 pace is out of the question).
    Or should I go it alone for 3.55 ? I'm veering towards going with the 4hr pacers.

Go with the pacers for the first half. The craic and athmosphere in the group will help the 13 miles fly along. If ur feeling good after half way you could kick on. Be aware though, simple Maths mean that by mile 16 if you are still with the pace group you'll have to knock 30 seconds per mile off over the remaining distance. That won't be easy.....

ncmc wrote: »
    I am in a similar boat Chewey, I am hoping for 3:40, but have decided to head out with the 3:45 pacers and hopefully be strong enough to push on myself. I think there would be too big a risk starting at my own pace, I'd be worried that the excitement of the day would have me starting too fast. Even if you just stick with the pacers for the first 10 miles or so til you get the nerves out if the system and get a rhythm going.

That's my plan anyway :)
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Go with the pacers for the first half. The craic and athmosphere in the group will help the 13 miles fly along. If ur feeling good after half way you could kick on. Be aware though, simple Maths mean that by mile 16 if you are still with the pace group you'll have to knock 30 seconds per mile off over the remaining distance. That won't be easy.....

Thanks guys. Ya I think I'll go with the 4 hour group and evaluate how I'm feeling after 10 miles or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.30|13|5|76.5 km| 802 km | Last of the long Runs complete :D
    scriba | P&D 18/55 | 12 | 2 | 37.07 km | 777.93 km | Awful week. I hate running, and marathons. :mad:
    Karenmtob|hal higdon novice 1|15|4|63 km|614.5km|21M LSR, delighted its done
    ncmc|P&D 18 week up to 55 miles|16|4|44 m|710 m|Good week for me with a successful 22 mile LSR and a 10k race
    Ecoenergy|Makey Uppy Plan|10|5|39.3M|441.9M| Hit the wall on the 13m LSR. :confused:
    jcsmum|makey uppy plan 2|7|6|48.5m|336m| Happy with 20 miler on Sat
    SteRoo|P&D 18/55|14|3|26.5m|600m|Injury still at play ;(
    docjewel|P&D 18/70|17|4|39.9m|1,171m|A few extra enforced rest days,but no bad thing at this stage
    outforarun|P&D 18/55|16|4|40.14m|648.34m| Garmin 10K PB of 41:21, 16 miles the day after felt ok
    Nellocono|Makey Uppy Plan 3|3|3|30m|unknown|Missed 2 sessions due to travel but got a LSR of 15 miles completed

Less than a week to go at this stage,nothing else can be done now only to get plenty of rest & hydrate best possible.
    Feeling good at this stage but feeling nervous about the big day.

Hopefully get to meet a few more Boardies next Monday & the Best of Luck to everyone doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Chewey leuwy / ncmc out of curiosity what is your current half marathon times?

I'm also going out with the 4 hour pacers but am not vert confident I will be able to sustain. My half is a shade under 1.45...

nellocono, I did DCM last year in 3:57 off a half of 1:48. I am aiming for 3:42 to be precise! in CCM off a half of 1:43. If you have a half time of 1:45, I would think a sub 4 is very achievable for you.

nellocono wrote: »

I'm also going out with the 4 hour pacers but am not vert confident I will be able to sustain. My half is a shade under 1.45...

If you've done a decent bit of training,4hrs will be no bother to you,I did Waterford last year in 3:48 off the back of a Half Marathon PB of 1:51:57.

Believe in your training & listen/chat with the pacers,it'll be so much easier running in a group & the pacers really do take a lot of pressure off your workload

Name|Plan|Week|Weekly Sessions Completed|Miles/KM This Week| Total Miles/KM | Comments
    Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.30|14|6|57 km| 859 km | Is the wind ever going to stop !:confused:
    scriba | P&D 18/55 | 12 | 2 | 37.07 km | 777.93 km | Awful week. I hate running, and marathons. :mad:
    ncmc|P&D 18 week up to 55 miles|16|4|44 m|710 m|Good week for me with a successful 22 mile LSR and a 10k race
    Ecoenergy|Makey Uppy Plan|10|5|39.3M|441.9M| Hit the wall on the 13m LSR. :confused:
    docjewel|P&D 18/70|17|4|39.9m|1,171m|A few extra enforced rest days,but no bad thing at this stage
    outforarun|P&D 18/55|16|4|40.14m|648.34m| Garmin 10K PB of 41:21, 16 miles the day after felt ok
    Nellocono|Makey Uppy Plan 3|3|3|30m|unknown|Missed 2 sessions due to travel but got a LSR of 15 miles completed

Last proper training week out of the way, legs won't know whats going on this week ! Roll on the weekend ..

Mr.Wiggle|RunRepublic Sub3.30|14|6|57 km| 859 km | Is the wind ever going to stop !:confused:
    ncmc|P&D 18 week up to 55 miles|17|4|39 m|763 m|Slightly higher mileage week than intended to taking it very easy this week

Last week was a higher mileage week than planned as I did the previous weeks LSR on Monday and then that weeks LSR on Sunday. Did 6 miles PMP as part of the LSR, really struggled in the heat to be honest, was very unprepared with no water, no sunscreen and no hat. I'm like the anti-scout, 'be unprepared' seems to be my motto!

Had a sports massage last night (would you all judge me very much if I said I really enjoyed it :o) so feel like i'm raring to go. P&D calls for 22 miles this week, but I'm only going to do about half that. The last two weeks of my taper have been quite intense so I don't want to be overcooked come race day.

nellocono wrote: »

Hi nellocono.
    I'm basing my target of 3:55 to 4 off a 1:53 half marathon (Bay run, very hilly course and it was in the middle of very heavy training.)

Based on your half time you should have no problems at all.
    Have you used this ?
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

ncmc|P&D 18 week up to 55 miles|17|4|39 m|763 m|Slightly higher mileage week than intended to taking it very easy this week
    outforarun|P&D 18/55|17|4|32.21m|680.54m| Guilt inducing 32 mile week. Achilles pinging more than I'd like.

Achilles acting up again: foam rolling, calve stretches, heel strength exercises and arnica on the menu everyday this week. A 4 day running week just completed all on target but with just 4 days running and just over 32 miles I really feel like I'm slacking off. Right lower leg felt a bit achy/numb walking to work this morning (did 4 miles recovery earlier), hope it's a taper niggle and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I don't know where I'm at with my stats at the moment so I'll skip the tabling. Got out for a 13 mile run on Sunday, which is my longest run in about a month. Been a bit of a disastrous four weeks with injury and life, but I'm running free of injury, and will make the start line in one piece. Plan is to head out at 9 min miles or slightly under for the first 20 and then push on if there's anything left: there probably won't be, I'd say my endurance is well down. Sub 4 is the revised goal, but I'll enjoy it either way.

Ah, I just scanned the thread, I've been so tuned-out of running over the last few weeks that I forgot they have pacers! 4 hour bus it is, one-way buddy!

Just a few links for you which i found useful last year.
    Gives me the race day buzz just reading them.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/147.shtml

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/marathon-pace-perfect

http://www.bsrunningclub.com/articlenav.php?id=26

I love reading the line about picking up the pace towards the end if you are feeling strong :eek:
    Makes me laugh that does !!:pac:

• Advertisement

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Just a few links for you which i found useful last year.
    Gives me the race day buzz just reading them.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/147.shtml

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/marathon-pace-perfect

http://www.bsrunningclub.com/articlenav.php?id=26

I love reading the line about picking up the pace towards the end if you are feeling strong :eek:
    Makes me laugh that does !!:pac:
    Some good information there, especially the bit about not starting too fast. It is so vital to be conservative for the first half and not get caught up with race day excitement.

Another point I would add is not to panic if you lose the pacers for some reason (eg a toilet stop) gradually make up the distance rather than sprint to catch up with them again. Never has the phrase 'it's a marathon not a sprint' been more accurate! Better to catch up with them by going 5/10 seconds per mile faster than leaving yourself wrecked after a sprint.

Feeling bullish this morning. Visions of taking the last mile in 6:30. :rolleyes::D

I have visions of doing the last mile by 6:30. ;)

Beef wrote: »
    I have visions of doing the last mile having the last pint by 6:30. ;)

FYP :D:D:D:D

bloody taper madness:P:P:P:P

Why'd you have to mention pints on a day like today? I'm gasping for some carb-loading pints. :eek:

scriba wrote: »
    Why'd you have to mention pints on a day like today? I'm gasping for some carb-loading pints. :eek:
    I had a large glass of pear cider last night.... if I blow up at mile 22 on Monday, i'm blaming that. It was worth it though :cool:

ncmc wrote: »
    Another point I would add is not to panic if you lose the pacers for some reason (eg a toilet stop) gradually make up the distance rather than sprint to catch up with them again. Never has the phrase 'it's a marathon not a sprint' been more accurate! Better to catch up with them by going 5/10 seconds per mile faster than leaving yourself wrecked after a sprint.

Thats great advice ncmc, actually happened to me last year doing the Dublin CM. Left the pacers off as they were too hot at the start for me and pushed on from the halfway point. Was catching them nicely with 4 miles to go had them in my sight , when the portaloo's called me:pac:
    Missed out catching them at the line by a minute, but there was no way i was gonna sprint to catch them , as I reckoned the lactic acid build up woulda just stoppped me dead.
    Now, if it happpens again this Monday I might just do what a poor chap I passed did during the DCM and forget the loos altogther...:eek: ( felt very sorri for him, but by god there was no stopping him making his target time!!)

Feeling a bit better this morning - energy levels seem to be rising a bit. Getting very excited now - and with this lovely beer garden weather I can't wait for a feckin pint. :)

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Thats great advice ncmc, actually happened to me last year doing the Dublin CM. Left the pacers off as they were too hot at the start for me and pushed on from the halfway point. Was catching them nicely with 4 miles to go had them in my sight , when the portaloo's called me:pac:
    Missed out catching them at the line by a minute, but there was no way i was gonna sprint to catch them , as I reckoned the lactic acid build up woulda just stoppped me dead.
    Now, if it happpens again this Monday I might just do what a poor chap I passed did during the DCM and forget the loos altogther...:eek: ( felt very sorri for him, but by god there was no stopping him making his target time!!)
    I'm nearly afraid to ask this..... number 1 or number 2 :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Guys, I think I'm going bananas waiting for this to start. Burning the ears off anyone who'll listen about having to keep off my feet. Making a list of things to pick up Saturday afternoon at the expo. Constantly moving my zinc oxide tape and bodyglide to a 'safe place' for Monday morning. Phone reminders to drink water every couple of hours... :rolleyes::confused::P

Advertisement