Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot get Eircom but Sky?

• 17-02-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Live in rural North Cork and have never been able to get any type of Eircom broadband. However, when I put my number and UAN into the Sky website it says I can get up to 24mps speeds on my line.

I was under the impression they were using the same infrastructure as Eircom? Apparently it is using the BT exchange? Is there a BT exchange map floating around anywhere?

Very confused, don't want to get my hopes up as I am on the crap service ripplecon at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sky can only deliver where Eircom already have service, it's not bringing anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

Thought as much

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sky's website says I can get close to 11.7Mbps, with Eircom I only connect at 6.1Mbps on an 8meg package.
    My attenuation is 36db down and 21db Up, How reliable would this line speed be from Sky if I switched from Eircom to Sky, would I see this increase in speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You should get around that with that attenuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Gonzo wrote: »
    Sky's website says I can get close to 11.7Mbps, with Eircom I only connect at 6.1Mbps on an 8meg package.
    My attenuation is 36db down and 21db Up, How reliable would this line speed be from Sky if I switched from Eircom to Sky, would I see this increase in speed?
    I'm guessing you are getting the 6.1Mbps results from the SpeedTest website, that's pretty normal for an 8MB connection (LAN connection here, I get 6.4Mbps)

Sky on the other hand use BT's LLU service (up to 24MB) and you could probably get close to 18Mb with that attenuation but I just noticed that your living in Dunshaughlin (live there too) and LLU is not available so for those maximum speeds so I reckon you could get about 12-14Mb with the standard ADSL from the Eircom infrastructure. Best bet now is to go with who's cheapest because they all use the same lines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement