Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRAIN SERVICES FROM WATERFORD

Options
  • 17-02-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all - I'm new to this so I hope someone can help me. I am trying to book seats on Waterford to Dublin train for next Wednesday but the website is not very clear. Due to a disability I need to book seats near the dining car and would prefer Premier or First Class travel. The website does not offer the Premier or First Class and when I get to selecting seats it does not show where the dining car is located. I have tried phoning Irish Rail (Waterford & Dublin) but it seems the phones are not manned at the weekend - crazy!! Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

i don't think there is a dining car on the train anymore. just a trolley selling beverages and snacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SIRRON56

Thanks - drinks & snacks would be fine! I used the train a few weeks ago (booked by someone else) and had reserved seats near the dining car which meant we were one of the first to be served. If I could find out which end they started serving, it would help. Also, I have been told that if I book 3 days before travel I get the "cheaper" ticket price so if I wait until tomorrow, I assume the price will go up. The website states that PREMIER travel is available on Waterford routes but when booking doesn't give you the choice - totally confusing!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just took a look and I can see that there is only two"first class" (premier for the Waterford to Dublin route) services, which are usually the one close to the dining cart. The first is in the morning at 6.05am and again at 14.50. Every other train has just a trolley that goes around and standard class. Click the green "I" at the end of the particular train time you are interested in to see the classes available and other details of the journey.

When you select the time you want, scroll down the page under "Ticket Details" and then select if its First or Standard class you want.

Click "Buy" on the right side to go onto the next page to make your purchase. On this page, you enter your passenger details and decide whether or not you want to sit anywhere or somewhere in particular (it will only give you the option to book seats on the one carriage).

Its very straight forward to find seats,. You can call Irish Rail 08:30hrs - 18:00hrs Monday to Friday on 1850 366 222. They don't work weekends, as is common in the private and public sector. :)

Ah - thanks - that makes more sense. It seems the trains I want to travel on don't offer the First Class or Premier seats. I think I will go ahead and book the tickets & reconfirm them by telephone tomorrow. I still think it's madness that, for a national rail system, you cannot speak to someone over the weekend. I suppose, like everything, it's now all automated. Appreciate all the help. Have a nice day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The website is very easy to use and understand, I think anyway. Especially compared with their last website. First Class isn't that popular so I can understand there isn't a reason to have it on frequently. You can reserve your seats on most, if not all, rail routes. They don't be booked out in general either (at least anytime I traveled on them).

If your not booking first class, give them a call on Monday and find out what seats you should be booking to be beside the trolley so you get served first. Sometimes there is a shop open even when the trolley is about, other times its only open when the trolley is finished. But remember, the trolley offers only snacks, hot drinks, tea, coffee and some sandwidches!

• Advertisement

Thanks - am booking it now. Got a bit confused about the "Reserved Seating" which costs €6 each - after clicking BUY, it offers seat selection at no charge! Does this mean they are not guaranteed?

SIRRON56 wrote: »
    Thanks - am booking it now. Got a bit confused about the "Reserved Seating" which costs €6 each - after clicking BUY, it offers seat selection at no charge! Does this mean they are not guaranteed?

Sit where you want is free of charge. (It says so under the button "Select Your Own Seat" after you click "Buy" on the first page where you selected the time you want to travel).

Reserved Seating isn't free of charge.

EDIT: Though, it appears there isn't a charge when I go to do it via 'Select Your Own Seat'. I'm trying this on a single leg at 14.50 on Wednesday and the charges are €11.99 (Ticket €9.99 and a fee off €2). You select your seats after you made your payment.

Cheers - will check with the station tomorrow just to be sure I have booked it correctly. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

I've never paid to reserve a seat, just pick the seat you want for free on the next page when you enter your details.

There's usually a sign on the seat saying its reserved and your name on the display above it.

This is what happened to me a few weeks ago -my name was displayed above the seat which was lucky as the train was full & someone else was sitting in it. Had my name not been there I would have been standing for most of the journey. I had surgery recently which is why I really have to make sure I have a reserved seat for both journeys - especially travelling back from Dublin! I have booked the tickets now but will doublecheck with the station tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help. Will definitely be visiting boards.ie again - you have all been really helpful.

• Advertisement

Service at its best. :D

Now, that will be €15 please. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

You need to be on the train 20mins before it departs. If you arrive later than that and your seats gone there's nothing you can do about it.

The train from Waterford to Dublin is never as busy and the train from Dublin to Waterford. I'd aim to be at the station before the announce what platform the train is leaving from in Dublin. You'll be one of the first on the train and pretty much guaranteed a seat.

Noted - will wait for your invoice!!!!

Advertisement