Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualitative analysis: Writing it up

Options
  • 17-02-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Ok so I've read all about how to code, and how to analyse transcripts etc. etc.

I'm just wondering how I write this up. Do I include the codes in my final paper? The few ones I looked at seem to just have quotes and their thoughts/arguments and how their link to their literature review. Almost like a narrative.

Do I need to have an example of my codes and how they relate to each other or the literature review/sit in the theoretical context

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

A thought from the other side - it seems not to be customary to include analytical details in qualitative write up, which is an unfortunate symptom of the view that such details belong to the logic of quantitative analysis. I think including these details is essential, as it goes some way toward addressing common limitations such as subjectivity of interpretation, depth and breadth of data (how exhaustive your line of questioning, the range of thematic areas, and by implication, sample coverage). If this is for a thesis, I would place them in an appendix, but my preference would always be for some discussion of your analysis. The apparent selectiveness of quotes in much published work, as you point out, is worrying - which is a shame as it tends to undermine the inherent strengths of qualitative work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 dondavenport

I'm not a qualitative researcher, but I advise finding a template. Find out what the top journal is your field is; look at examples of qualitative articles in the last three years, and use as a template.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Teoman:
    What type of qualitative research are you doing; e.g., grounded theory, ethnography, phenomenological study, case study, or biography?

What analytic strategy are you using? Given the nature of qualitative research, there is not always a consensus, so whom are you citing primarily to guide your analysis; e.g., Creswell, Strauss and Corbin, Goffman, Berg, Powdermaker, or whom? We tend to rely quite a bit on John Creswell in many of our researches, but sometimes include others when triangulating between qualitative and quantitative; e.g., Brewer and Hunter, Taylor, etc.

Per Creswell, in the beginning we try not to exceed 30 coding categories of information, no matter what size the qualitative database. Then we try to winnow that down to a short list of roughly about 5 coding categories with matching text segments before we write up our narratives. Your research problem and the type of qualitative research you are doing may suggest what is most important, and what is not in this winnowing process.

We agree with efla that triangulation between qualitative and quantitative methods produces the richest results, and often aids in coding, analysis, and narrative.

Advertisement