Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Battlefield 1942 to run on Win 7 64bit + Widescreen?

• 17-02-2013 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Hello gentlemen!

I seem to have come upon a problem trying to get Battlefield 1942 running on Windows 7 64bit, on 1920x1080 resolution. The game opens to a black screen for a second, and automatically closes.

I have tried the usual workarounds as recommended on other forums and on here: http://www.widescreengaming.net/wiki/Battlefield_1942
    • Set compatability mode to XP SP2/SP3
    • Set game to run as administrator
    • Edited settings\profiles\custom\video.con and set the game display mode to game.setGameDisplayMode 1920 1080 32 30
    • Edited settings\VideoDefault.con and set renderer.fieldOfView 1.33333 (Set both files to read-only after editing)
    • Updated graphics card drivers

PC Spec:
    O/S: Windows 7 64bit
    Ram: 10 gigs
    Gfx Card: Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express

Just can't appear to get it running, and I'm only dying for a game! (It's free on origin gaming btw for anyone who wants to download it and play it again). Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

1. Open Origin/ Sign on Origin.
    2. In Origin, go to the origin tab and click settings.
    3. While in setting click In Game.
    4. Uncheck "Enable Origin in game"
    5. Open/ Log in to Steam.
    6. Click Games tab.
    7. Click Add Non-Steam games into library.
    8. Click Browse.
    9. Go to Program Files (x86 if you have windows 7) -> Origin Games -> Battlefield 1942
    10. Selct BF1942.
    And your done.
    You still have to log on Origin, but it should allow you to play the game on Steam community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Cheers mate, will try that tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dlofnep wrote: »
    Hello gentlemen!

I seem to have come upon a problem trying to get Battlefield 1942 running on Windows 7 64bit, on 1920x1080 resolution. The game opens to a black screen for a second, and automatically closes.

I have tried the usual workarounds as recommended on other forums and on here: http://www.widescreengaming.net/wiki/Battlefield_1942
    • Set compatability mode to XP SP2/SP3
    • Set game to run as administrator
    • Edited settings\profiles\custom\video.con and set the game display mode to game.setGameDisplayMode 1920 1080 32 30
    • Edited settings\VideoDefault.con and set renderer.fieldOfView 1.33333 (Set both files to read-only after editing)
    • Updated graphics card drivers

PC Spec:
    O/S: Windows 7 64bit
    Ram: 10 gigs
    Gfx Card: Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express

Just can't appear to get it running, and I'm only dying for a game! (It's free on origin gaming btw for anyone who wants to download it and play it again). Any ideas?

If the above doesnt work there is a simple work around that I know works (I have windows 7 64 bit as well)

Set your windows resolution to 1280 x 720 and boot bf1942, it should launch without issue, once you get into the game the settings you have changed (highlighted above) will take effect and the game will be displayed in the resolution you have set.

I think its to do with the menu of bf1942 not being able to support the higher resolutions or windows 7 not being able to adjust itself to scale the menu (I earlier thought it was the movies, but removing them does not fix the problem, so it must be the menu.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    If the above doesnt work there is a simple work around that I know works (I have windows 7 64 bit as well)

Set your windows resolution to 1280 x 720 and boot bf1942, it should launch without issue, once you get into the game the settings you have changed (highlighted above) will take effect and the game will be displayed in the resolution you have set.

I think its to do with the menu of bf1942 not being able to support the higher resolutions or windows 7 not being able to adjust itself to scale the menu (I earlier thought it was the movies, but removing them does not fix the problem, so it must be the menu.)

This worked! Mucho gracias!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dlofnep wrote: »

This worked! Mucho gracias!!

You are very welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 TE5LA

At risk of being labeled a "necro" poster, I wanted to add this, being relevant if people still want to play this. A lot of t hings have changed since GameSpy collapsed and EA/Origin dropped support for most of their games.

Originally, the free Origin version of 1942 was not compatible with the original retail CD version and neither were the servers. This "gift" from EA was poorly done because it could have meant a large boost in the player base, but new players were not as likely to try and start their own servers and the old school guys weren't going to change either.

Fortunately some nice people patched the clients and servers so they now accept players from both versions. You know longer need a key since there is a EA master server.

You can find the patches for whatever version you have and after patching, you should be able to see hundreds of servers up. Please register in my website if you find this helpful.

(I cannot post a URL here because I'm new so message me if you'd like the URL)

At risk of being labeled a "necro" poster, I wanted to add this, being relevant if people still want to play this. A lot of things have changed since GameSpy collapsed and EA/Origin dropped support for most of their games.

Originally, the free Origin version of 1942 was not compatible with the original retail CD version and neither were the servers. This "gift" from EA was poorly done because it could have meant a large boost in the player base, but new players were not as likely to try and start their own servers and the old school guys weren't going to change either.

Fortunately some nice people patched the clients and servers so they now accept players from both versions. You know longer need a key since there is a EA master server.

You can find the patches for whatever version you have and after patching, you should be able to see hundreds of servers up. Please register in my website if you find this helpful.

(I cannot post a URL here because I'm new so message me if you'd like the URL)

Something is wrong and not allowing me to edit resulted in a double post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

This change how the origin version and the expansions work together?

Varik wrote: »
    This change how the origin version and the expansions work together?

Yes, the two versions can now join the same servers.

Join our Desert Combat community! kasual-killers.kicks-ass.net

• Advertisement
Advertisement