Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy bulk flour for maing bread?

Options
  • 17-02-2013 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I just purchasd a panasonic break maker from amazon and am researching where to buy the best quality/value bulk flour to make my bread

I'd like to purchase large sacks of flour to save me from going to the shops every few days and buying the 1kg bags

I came across a few options on amazon here with the largest option being 25kg bags, they also qualify for free super saver delivery which is nice.

My question is:

Are there cheaper alternatives or someplace better to buy the flour I need for my panasonic break maker?

Where are you guys buying your flour to make bread?

Are there any brands of flour to avoid?

All opinions/suggestions welcome

Cheers

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Can you get access to a Cash and Carry?

One of the Asian stores might have large sacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Tbh, I'd hold off buying a 25kg bag til after a few months. Most people I know who bought breadmakers went mad baking in the first few weeks, then left it virtually unused thereafter. Meanwhile, you're left with the problem of how and where to store an open, 25kg bag of flour while keeping it fresh and free of weevils & mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Hope your bread making is going well after the first month of use.

What flour are you using and how are you finding it ?

With strong flour, make sure it is strong. Compare the % of protein between the brands. I think Tesco own brand strong flour is not as strong.

Just out of interest, I looked at the 25kg bags of flour on Amazon. They are £24. Hovis strong flour is €1.49 for 1.5kg in Tesco, which is cheaper per kg.

I agree with Honey-cc. Unless you are absolutely sure than you will use 25kg of flour, which is approx 50 loaves, and use it quickly, you might be left with a half bag of damp weevil infected flour.

I bake bread and cakes 3/4 times a week and buy 3 types of flour. I just buy 1.5kg and 2kg bags in supermarkets and dont find it a hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Hi. The standard loaf I make contains around 2/3 rye flour 1/3 strong white flour, with cinnamon, sunflower seeds & pumpkin seeds thrown in (setting 7 on the Panasonic). I used to buy the rye flour in Superquinn (Bacheldre brand) but Superquinn stopped stocking it, replacing it with a more expensive brand. The Bacheldre stuff used to cost around €2.50 for 1.5kg if I remember correctly. Since then I've been using what I understand to be rye flour from some Polish shops in Dublin City Centre - labelled as "Maka Zytnia". It's much better value at 99c for 1kg and it hasn't killed me yet! I still use the Odlums Strong White flour but 1 bag lasts me around 10 loaves cos I only use around 250g per loaf. Like yourself, I looked into buying in bulk on the internet but instead whenever I'm in the city I buy around 8 bags of Maka Zytnia which keeps me going for around a month and means I don't have to worry about storage and dampness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

You can head down to Little Italy in Smithfield and get 00 flour pretty cheap. If you buy a case of 12 bags, you will get a 10% discount. This way, the flour is fresher but its in the same batch.

Advertisement