Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running's not just for New Year's, it's for life!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

guinang wrote: »
    Good progress. Well done. My feeling is that the furry glen is not the most difficult part of the GIR. The furry glen is steep, but it's also over with pretty quickly. There's a hill as you go by St. Mary's which is not as steep but it's steady from the Chapelizod Gate until you descend in to the Furry Glen. It's fairly energy sapping from my recollection. You may have already run it considering you've already tackled the furry glen.

You're right, actually - I went back and looked at it on my Garmin profile and there's a long drag of about a mile long. It didn't feel too tough the times I tried it, but I'm sure Sunday will be different.

Actually, I think Sunday is going to be a bigger mental test than anything. I don't know why but I'm more nervous about this race than either of the ones I've done already.

Stopped off at the Phoenix Park on my way home, and after cowering from the rain in my car for a few minutes, I eventually said f**k it, got out and did a 2.3 mile loop from the Castleknock gate to the Ashtown gate, round North Road and back up Chesterfield. It was freezing and I got soaked within seconds but as runs go, it was quite enjoyable. Timing was all over the shop because of the weather - first mile was 8.37, second was 9.09 and the last .3 miles was 2.50. I'd be happy enough on Sunday to keep at that first mile pace - I will have to make sure I get plenty of sleep between now and then though, and make sure that I'm eating properly. Damn Easter chocolate is still all over the house.

Also went out last Tuesday and did 2.23 miles in 20.38. Now two days of rest await me and then it's Great Ireland Run time. :eek:

Still waiting for my official time, but my Garmin has me at 55.24. Under the circumstances, I'm very happy with that. And the day itself was fantastic. I arrived early enough to drop my bag in, soak up the atmosphere (and the smell of Deep Heat) and then meander over to the side of the start line where I saw the elite women start. I couldn't get over how tiny all of them are! Headed down to the Green wave and took part in the Bootcamp Ireland warmup. I know, I know. But I never turn down a chance to dance to Gangnam Style. :o

First mile was completed in 8.27. And that was with me constantly checking my Garmin and reminding myself to slow down. I spent most of it passing by people, some of whom were already walking.

Second mile was also 8.27. I spent a lot of this high-fiving the kids at the side of the road. I spent a lot of this passing people out as well. It was very different to Dunboyne, where there was a small group of us going at a similar speed. I was almost disappointed not to have anyone to fall in with.

Third mile was 8.17. A lot of this was downhill which explains the faster speed.

There was a water stop near the end of the third mile. I hadn't planned on taking water at it but I found I needed to. Running in the sunshine was a brand new experience for me, especially in a race. I also poured some on my face & the back of my neck which felt great at the time, but as soon as the water dried, my face felt tight and uncomfortable.

By now, I was starting to feel under pressure. My fourth mile was 8.44. This incorporated the first uphill stretch and all of those S bends. We were more exposed as well here so the wind became a factor.

The fifth mile took me 9.32. Quite a dramatic slowdown in pace, but it included another uphill section, and by this time, I'd started to feel unwell. I had a knot in my stomach that I was worried would make me sick.

The sixth mile was 9.36. The first part was quite slow, but as soon as we'd gotten up the hill at the Furry Glen, I decided to pick up my pace and just go for it. I had to laugh at the man who called me a show off (in jest) after I passed him and his friends out.

The last section took me 2.19 - my average pace was 8.15 and I came in at about 56 minutes on the clock.

I'm currently refreshing the GIR website every few minutes in anticipation of the results. All in all, I'm delighted with the day. I've another 10k planned for mid-June, so I now have my time to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

vitani wrote: »
    Still waiting for my official time, but my Garmin has me at 55.24. Under the circumstances, I'm very happy with that. And the day itself was fantastic. I arrived early enough to drop my bag in, soak up the atmosphere (and the smell of Deep Heat) and then meander over to the side of the start line where I saw the elite women start. I couldn't get over how tiny all of them are! Headed down to the Green wave and took part in the Bootcamp Ireland warmup. I know, I know. But I never turn down a chance to dance to Gangnam Style. :o

First mile was completed in 8.27. And that was with me constantly checking my Garmin and reminding myself to slow down. I spent most of it passing by people, some of whom were already walking.

Second mile was also 8.27. I spent a lot of this high-fiving the kids at the side of the road. I spent a lot of this passing people out as well. It was very different to Dunboyne, where there was a small group of us going at a similar speed. I was almost disappointed not to have anyone to fall in with.

Third mile was 8.17. A lot of this was downhill which explains the faster speed.

There was a water stop near the end of the third mile. I hadn't planned on taking water at it but I found I needed to. Running in the sunshine was a brand new experience for me, especially in a race. I also poured some on my face & the back of my neck which felt great at the time, but as soon as the water dried, my face felt tight and uncomfortable.

By now, I was starting to feel under pressure. My fourth mile was 8.44. This incorporated the first uphill stretch and all of those S bends. We were more exposed as well here so the wind became a factor.

The fifth mile took me 9.32. Quite a dramatic slowdown in pace, but it included another uphill section, and by this time, I'd started to feel unwell. I had a knot in my stomach that I was worried would make me sick.

The sixth mile was 9.36. The first part was quite slow, but as soon as we'd gotten up the hill at the Furry Glen, I decided to pick up my pace and just go for it. I had to laugh at the man who called me a show off (in jest) after I passed him and his friends out.

The last section took me 2.19 - my average pace was 8.15 and I came in at about 56 minutes on the clock.

I'm currently refreshing the GIR website every few minutes in anticipation of the results. All in all, I'm delighted with the day. I've another 10k planned for mid-June, so I now have my time to beat.

Well done great time Vitani

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Great running especially in the conditions. That sick feeling you had on mile 5 is similar to how I felt coming up that drag. Fairly sapping.

• Advertisement

Thanks, both of you. Yeah, I think that drag is what drained me, along with the heat of the day and the intensity.

I think, realistically, the most I really lost on those two miles is 2 minutes. And sure, if Bekele found the conditions tough enough to run a minute slower than his best, then us mere mortals didn't really stand a chance... :cool:

Picked up the Indo this morning. My official time matches my Garmin - 55.24. It puts me in the first 3000. Actually, that's probably not something to shout about. :D

This week, I'll just be taking it easy. One of my muscles has been in spasm since finishing yesterday so there'll be lots of walking and foam rolling for the next day or two, and a trip to the physio if it's not better by late in the week.

Leg felt much better this morning, so decided to speed up recovery with a very, very slow 2 mile run. Went at a pace of 10.56 per mile and I'm feeling nearly back to normal now.

Plan for the rest of the week is a slow three miles on Thursday and an easy 4 or 5 at the weekend.

Next week, I plan to start running four times a week - probably 3,2,3 and then 3 again at the weekend. I also have the Leixlip 5k on the 4th of May, so it's a busy few weeks ahead.

Ran to my car again from work, but have no idea how far it was exactly or what my pace was as my Garmin spent the entire time searching for a location. Only to find it when I'd finally reached my car and was stretching. :mad:

I had tracked it on Google maps beforehand so I know it was between 4 and 4 and a half miles, and it took me roughly 40-45 minutes. A lot of uphill segments along the way. I ran down the Navan Road towards Ashtown, a road I've been on hundreds if not thousands of times, and I'd never noticed how not flat it was before.

To be honest, my Garmin not working have bothered me more a week ago. I haven't really said much to anyone about what happened in Boston but I think all of us here have been affected in different ways. On the one hand, it's not my tragedy - it's just something I watched on TV but to someone who's been dreaming about the finishing line of a marathon, the viciousness in picking that spot does upset me. My heart goes out to everyone directly affected by it. It's made me grateful - so, so grateful - that I'm here, whole and healthy and able to run.

And the addiction continues... up at 6am this morning (on a Saturday!) Was pretty nice to practically have the roads to myself and be home with my run done by 7am - on a beautiful morning as well. It was the kind of run I used to dream about when I first took this up.

Covered 5.15 miles in just over 50 minutes. (10.01, 10.02, 9.49, 10.01, 9.34 and 1.15)

Have had to adjust my plans for next week a little. Am doing the Samsung run next Sunday (the tshirt got me in the end) and am giving blood on Monday evening, so I'll probably run Monday morning, Wednesday evening and Friday morning, doing about 3 miles each time.

3 miles this morning in 27.24 - kept an even(ish) pace throughout of 9.08, 9.13, 9.03.

• Advertisement

4.2 miles today in 42.27.

I found the first mile and a half very hard. My legs felt heavy, I was tired and I just couldn't get into a rhythm. I'm putting that down to the after effects of giving blood on Monday, coupled with not drinking enough water yesterday.

I was running along the canal from Ashtown so when I got to either side of Coolmine train station, my focus shifted on just keeping my footing. This was tough but in a more physical way. For the first time in a training run, I found myself having to stop and stretch. However, the concentration involved banished the 'I'm tired' demons that had been plaguing me. And when I made it back to the road, I felt like I was gliding along in contrast to the previous sections.

I definitely feel like I got more of a workout today and part of me is interested in going off and finding some trails to run along occasionally to change things up a bit.

3.69 miles tonight in 35.33.

I tried out the Virtual Pacer function on my Garmin. Ironically, my splits are the most uneven they've been in ages. I set the pacer for 9.45/mile, to try and keep myself slow. I ended up running 9.26, 9.52, 9.32 and then the final segment in an average of 9.44.

Tonight was not a good run. I felt tired and my legs felt heavy again. I just felt completely drained, to be honest.

I don't know. I don't have much to say. I have a target in mind for the Samsung run but I haven't a hope of hitting it if I feel like this again on Sunday. There's any number of legitimate reasons why I'm not at 100% at the moment and I recognise that being less than two weeks after my first ever 10k is one of those. So, I somehow have to find a balance between trying my best on Sunday, but not expecting too much from myself either.

3.69 miles tonight in 35.33.

I tried out the Virtual Pacer function on my Garmin. Ironically, my splits are the most uneven they've been in ages. I set the pacer for 9.45/mile, to try and keep myself slow. I ended up running 9.26, 9.52, 9.32 and then the final segment in an average of 9.44.

Tonight was not a good run. I felt tired and my legs felt heavy again. I just felt completely drained, to be honest.

I don't know. I don't have much to say. I have a target in mind for the Samsung run but I haven't a hope of hitting it if I feel like this again on Sunday. There's any number of legitimate reasons why I'm not at 100% at the moment and I recognise that being less than two weeks after my first ever 10k is one of those. So, I somehow have to find a balance between trying my best on Sunday, but not expecting too much from myself either.

What target are you aiming for

Darren 83 wrote: »
    What target are you aiming for

Under 54 minutes. It's what I think I could have gotten in the Great Ireland Run if my stomach hadn't been upset (and the course a little flatter).

Under 54 minutes. It's what I think I could have gotten in the Great Ireland Run if my stomach hadn't been upset (and the course a little flatter).

These things happen during a race, 54 should be no be problem to you.

Best of luck with the race, looking forward to the race report and hearing a new PB

Best of luck with the race, looking forward to the race report and hearing a new PB

Thank you!

Race nerves are starting to kick in now.

Thank you!

Race nerves are starting to kick in now.

Love the feeling before a race you will do great

Official time of 54.51 - not quite what I was aiming for but 33 seconds faster than my previous 10k time and I'm much, much happier with how I ran the race.

Splits were: 5.42, 5.15, 5.38, 5.20, 5.19, 5.29, 5.23, 5.26, 5.22, 5.16 plus a bit at the end.

The first kilometre was horribly congested, but I was relieved because it stopped me going out too fast. So, apart from the third kilometre, I ran at a fairly even pace and actually managed to pick up my speed for the last two. This was something I'd failed terribly at during the GIR so I feel like I've turned a corner now.

First 5km split was 27.12 and the last 5km were 27.39, according to my official result.

I think my time is a fair reflection of where I am at the moment and gives me a decent base to work from. I've signed up for the Docklands 10k in June, so it will be interesting to see how I've progressed over the next two months.

The only other race in the meantime is the Leixlip 5k next Saturday. And after that, it'll be into half marathon training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Official time of 54.51 - not quite what I was aiming for but 33 seconds faster than my previous 10k time and I'm much, much happier with how I ran the race.

Splits were: 5.42, 5.15, 5.38, 5.20, 5.19, 5.29, 5.23, 5.26, 5.22, 5.16 plus a bit at the end.

The first kilometre was horribly congested, but I was relieved because it stopped me going out too fast. So, apart from the third kilometre, I ran at a fairly even pace and actually managed to pick up my speed for the last two. This was something I'd failed terribly at during the GIR so I feel like I've turned a corner now.

First 5km split was 27.12 and the last 5km were 27.39, according to my official result.

I think my time is a fair reflection of where I am at the moment and gives me a decent base to work from. I've signed up for the Docklands 10k in June, so it will be interesting to see how I've progressed over the next two months.

The only other race in the meantime is the Leixlip 5k next Saturday. And after that, it'll be into half marathon training.

Excellent, well done Vitani! You ran a great even paced race! Great to get a pb so soon after your last 10k. You're doing really well!
    What half marathon are you targeting?

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Excellent, well done Vitani! You ran a great even paced race! Great to get a pb so soon after your last 10k. You're doing really well!
    What half marathon are you targeting?

Thank you. I think I'm more pleased about the even pace than the PB! :)

I've signed up for the Rock'n'Roll Half in August so I've just over three months to go. McMillan has me at 2.02 based on tonight's race, so my mission is to get that down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thank you. I think I'm more pleased about the even pace than the PB! :)

I've signed up for the Rock'n'Roll Half in August so I've just over three months to go. McMillan has me at 2.02 based on tonight's race, so my mission is to get that down.

three months give you a nice bit of time to get some great training in. You'll smash that time prediction. Best of luck!

Well done Vitani a PB is a PB

Well done Vitani a PB is a PB

Oh, absolutely!

I think the past two races have shown that targets are good to have but at the end of the day, you don't know how the race will go until you actually run it.

I feel like I ran well last night and that's the important thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on PB Vitani - good solid running.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Good running last night Vitani, it's always a good run when you PB. So enjoy it, a time will eventually come when PBs are very hard to get.

There is a nice 5miler out in dunboyne at the end of May that might interest you. It might help you bridge the gap between the 5k and docklands 10k.

wowzer wrote: »
    Good running last night Vitani, it's always a good run when you PB. So enjoy it, a time will eventually come when PBs are very hard to get.

There is a nice 5miler out in dunboyne at the end of May that might interest you. It might help you bridge the gap between the 5k and docklands 10k.

Thanks, and good running yourself. I can only dream of hitting times like yours.

The 5 miler might be a possibility... I'm putting together my training schedule for the HM later today so I'll have a look and see how it fits in.

Oh, absolutely!

I think the past two races have shown that targets are good to have but at the end of the day, you don't know how the race will go until you actually run it.

I feel like I ran well last night and that's the important thing.

As long as you are happy with your self that's the main thing, How was the race was the price worth it?

As long as you are happy with your self that's the main thing, How was the race was the price worth it?

I enjoyed the race and I'm glad I did it, but I don't know if it was worth the price, tbh. The tshirt and drinks bottle we got were great quality and the course itself was a dream to run on, even with all the twists and turns. But I don't think there was enough involved to justify the entry fee, and they really could have done with handing out some water at the end rather than Powerade.

Out of the four races I've done so far, Dunboyne is still ranking as the best. I think I just prefer races with a smaller field - I did get quite irritated at the congestion last night.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the race and I'm glad I did it, but I don't know if it was worth the price, tbh. The tshirt and drinks bottle we got were great quality and the course itself was a dream to run on, even with all the twists and turns. But I don't think there was enough involved to justify the entry fee, and they really could have done with handing out some water at the end rather than Powerade.

Out of the four races I've done so far, Dunboyne is still ranking as the best. I think I just prefer races with a smaller field - I did get quite irritated at the congestion last night.

It is a bit expensive for a 10k, Club runs are better people know where to be at the start so nobody is getting in the way of quicker runners.

Advertisement