Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running's not just for New Year's, it's for life!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

vitani wrote: »
    I'm injured :-(

Tripped and fell while running last night and landed on my shoulder. Nothing broken but I can't lift my arm past my shoulder without pain. I've to rest it for a couple of days and see a physio next week.

Sorry to hear that Vitani hopefully won't be to bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Just over four weeks to the day since I last ran. My arm was quite painful for a couple of weeks, then I had no childcare for the last two weeks. To be honest, I quite enjoyed having a little break from it all but I'm eager to get back into it now. I didn't get into London through the international ballot - not surprisingly - so I have 13 months between now and DCM 2014, so I'm going to start working towards being fit enough to start a marathon training programme next summer.

Got out this morning for three miles - took it steady enough but it was tough! I'd say it will be another week or two before I'll start to feel like my fitness is coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

a month and no posts? how's it going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

a month and no posts? how's it going?
    only 364 days to DCM 2014!!! Get to it missus:D

:D

I'm tipping away - it took a couple of weeks to get back to (something approaching) normal but I'm now getting out an average of 3 times a week. Have spent the last few weeks trying to figure out how best to fit running into my week now that the evenings are getting darker, so I've settled on running to my car twice a week after work, and then a longer run at the weekend. I'll up that to four days a week soon.

Planning to sign up for the Jingle Bells 5k in December. I haven't ran a 5k since May so should easily get a PB.

• Advertisement

I better not let this go a month again without updating!

Have been out every second day since my last post, building up the mileage gradually. From a grand total of 3 miles in September, I brought that up to 25 miles in October. :pac:

The plan for November and December is just to run regularly, building up mileage gradually until I'm averaging about 15-20 miles a week. For the moment, I'm not even thinking about pace. I just want to get a routine firmed up and the miles in until running regularly again becomes second nature to me.

Weekly total: 13.3 miles, up from 9.5 last week.

It would have been lower - I'd only planned on doing 3 today - only someone in a DCM finishers top passed me as I was about to turn back for home and that shamed/inspired me into carrying on for another mile and a half :)

I'm annoyed and frustrated. I had some shin pain last week during my run and it lasted for the rest of the week so I'm trying to be sensible and haven't ran since last Tuesday. Brought my things into work today, planning to run to my car as usual but my shin has been twinging all morning, so I really don't think it's a good idea.

I thought I had been careful about building back up gradually but it looks like I did too much, too soon. Thankfully, I think it's just shin splints and another couple of days should sort them out but it means another few days without running, and then yet again starting from a much lower base.

:mad:

I. Miss. Running.

Shin felt better after another couple of days rest so finally got out for a run today! :D

Only to trip and fall one mile into it! :(

I now have a chin that resembles Bruce Forsyth's. Or at least, half of it does. :o

This page of my log has just been riddled with disasters. It's coming up as page 13 for me. I'm not particularly superstitious or anything, but I'll be glad to move on to page 14...

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Just finished reading your log, you've made great improvements this year, well done:) Bad luck with your spate of injuries, keep the head up, you'll be back on form in no time! Better happening now than in the middle of your marathon training next year...

• Advertisement

Thank you! :)

I'm slowly getting back on track - had a very nice 6+ mile run home from work yesterday and both shins were absolutely fine afterwards. And even better, I managed to complete an entire run without faceplanting the ground. :pac:

Jingle Bells 5k this Saturday. I am dreading it. I don't mind 10k races, or longer, because I can settle into a comfortably hard pace and make it round, but I always feel like I need to tear off at the start of a 5k and I can never keep that pace going. I also haven't done any speedwork in months.

Moan. Moan. Moan. And so on.

I think I just need to suck it up and accept that it's going to be a tough race for me on Saturday and just get through it as best I can. I hope to get in under 25 minutes, so we'll see. Hopefully race-day adrenaline will win out over the nerves.

Jingle Bells 5k

Gun time: 25:41
    Chip time: 24:57

Very pleased with how that went.

I couldn't take off as quickly as I might have been tempted to because I started too far back and got stuck behind quite a few people. But, having said that, the slow first km (5.10) probably helped me. I got my usual 'I don't want to do this' thoughts about halfway through, but I managed to ignore them by telling myself that there was a nice downhill section coming up.

I don't think I ran that as fast as I could have and my time is something I want to improve on (possibly in the Tom Brennan on New Year's Day) but it's a new PB - Yay! I finally broke 25 minutes - Yay! And more importantly, I finally ran an evenly paced 5k and managed to break through whatever mental barrier had plagued me in the previous two.

A slow 2.5 miles yesterday, as the legs were quite sore still after Saturday. Felt much better for it.

Also very pleased that I've solved the issue I've been having with my new runners. I'd been running in Brooks Ravenna 3 since the start of the year. Bought a pair of Ravenna 4 about six weeks ago and have been trying to break them in since, but despite feeling fine in the shop, until yesterday, they felt far too tight around the top of my feet. Eventually figured out that I was lacing them too tight - :o - and they're finally feeling right. Unfortunately, my brainwave didn't occur in time to save another toenail, but what can you do. :pac:

LSR home from work - 7.75 miles in 1:19:41 - Average pace 10.17 min/mile

Longest run since the Frank Duffy back at the end of August! :o

Took it handy and felt great throughout. I went down along the quays from O'Connell Bridge and through the Phoenix Park. That stretch down Chesterfield felt never-ending, but in a good way. Had enough life in my legs near the end to sprint to a couple of pedestrian lights before they turned red. My Garmin was still on km after the Jingle Bells last Saturday so I had to just run by feel because I've no idea what my training paces are in km.

It's taken a while but I finally feel like I'm back to where I was a couple of months ago. :D

I've gone ahead and signed up for the Tom Brennan on January 1st, which gives me two and a half weeks to try to improve on my time at the Jingle Bells 5k. Tbh, I'd settle for the same time that I got then as I'm sure the downhill section of the course last week helped me out a lot.

So, a dreaded interval session today. I plucked a session out of one of the books I have: 2 x 400m with 200m recovery, 1 x 800m with 400m recovery, followed by 2 x 400m with 200m recovery. I adapted this to run by time instead - so it was 2 x 2 minutes with 90 seconds recovery, 1 x 4 minutes with 2.30 recovery and 2 x 2 minutes with 90 seconds recovery.

Very happy with how it went. Faster intervals were at 7.39, 8.04, 7.47, 7.36 and 7.34 pace. Not quite sure what happened in that second one... I did walk for portions of some of the recoveries but I kept moving the entire time, and was fairly wiped by the end of it. Although, that could have been down to the wind in part, as it was quite energy-sapping.

Overall, it's been a good weekend's running. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great session there. Well done :D

A very stop-start 3 miles this evening in 27.22.

I couldn't figure out what I wanted this run to be. I kept veering between 8.20-8.30 pace and 9.45-10.00 pace. One part of me wanted to go fast enough to be uncomfortable, to get used to feeling like I was making an effort and the other part of me wanted to go slow, because I did a speed session just a couple of days ago. So, I compromised with a mini kind of Fartlek and ended up making neither side happy. Moral of the story is to decide before I head out the door in future.

Left shin is kind of niggly now. Not too bad but I'm going to RICE it for the rest of the evening just to be on the safe side.

(Once I remind myself what the C stands for.)

LSR today - 8.33 miles in 1:22:41 - Average pace of 9.56 min/mile

Slightly too fast for a LSR, tbh. Found the first few miles quite tough as well - legs were heavy and energy levels were low. I stopped to stretch at my half-way point in the Phoenix Park, but I'm not sure how much it helped. The second half of the run was definitely easier than the first. Not that I had a 'bad' run though - it just wasn't easy, physically.

Lucked out with the weather though - the horrific showers cleared up about ten minutes before I left the house and didn't start again until after I'd made it home.

An easy 4.2 miles today in 40:52 - Average pace was 9.44 min/mile

Paths were quite icy so my pace was all over the shop throughout this run. It brings me up to 485 miles, according to Endomondo so have to get 15 more miles in now before the end of the year :)

• Advertisement

Steady 9 miles in 1:25:40 - Average pace of 9.31 min/mile

It's been a long time since I've felt as strong and in control on a run as on this one. Shin has been a bit niggly the past few days, and I still wasn't very happy with the runners I bought recently, so headed to Amphibian King yesterday. 45 minutes later, emerged with a pair of Saucony Guides - a more supportive shoe than I had been wearing.

Decided to take them for a test run today, with the idea of cutting it short if my shin was causing any bother. From the second or third stride, all pain was gone - I'm not an endorphin expert but I don't think there's any way they'd have kicked in that early. So it looks like it was my old shoes that were giving me bother.

9 miles, and 85 minutes later, I was amazed to finish with absolutely no pain or tightness in my calves. I honestly felt like I could have run forever (or maybe just another few miles). I adore my new shoes.

Mileage is now up to 494... :)

Short on time today, so settled for 3.68 miles in 34:18 - Average pace of 9.20 min/mile

It actually does bring me to over 500 miles - I realised earlier that I'd never input my first ever race into Endomondo, but for some reason, I feel like I cheated and part of me wants to get that last 2.3 miles in... :o

It's been an interesting day. It's exactly one year ago today that I started Couch to 5k. I still remember coming home that first day with a face as red as a tomato, tired but delighted that I'd gone out and ran. A half marathon seemed like this huge challenge back then, but while it was hard work at times, it was worth every step.

I've always been the type of person to lose interest in things relatively quickly, so it's amazing for me to have stuck with running for the past year, and to still be as keen on it as I was when I first started. There were moments of doubt and a couple of wobbles, but I truly believe I've found something special here.

I've been looking back at my stats this year. Mileage since finishing Couch to 5k is as follows:

February:| 17.09
    March:| 40.06
    April:| 50.54
    May:| 71.39
    June:| 88.25
    July:| 70.83
    August:| 53.49
    September:| 3
    October:| 25.18
    November:| 32.08
    December:| 48.55

I think there's been some nice progression since September. I plan on joining the 2014 1000 mile challenge here, and fully expect to meet that goal.

In terms of races, I've ran 9 this year:

Operation Transformation:| 5k | 27:27
    Dunboyne:| 4m | 33:21
    Great Ireland Run:| 10k| 55:24
    Samsung Night Run:| 10k| 54:51
    Leixlip:| 5k| 25:40
    Docklands Run:| 10k| 50:44
    Rock'n'Roll HM:| HM | 1:58:16
    Frank Duffy:| 10m | 1:28:57
    Jingle Bells:| 5k| 24:57

All of them have been PBs, and I'm particularly proud of my Dunboyne time (as it was so soon after I started running), my Docklands 10k time (because I knocked over 4 minutes off my previous 10k time) and my half marathon time (because I achieved exactly what I'd worked for).

I think there's a lot of room for improvement. My training this year has been good, but could be a lot better and one of the first things I'll be doing next year is joining a club. I also plan to race around one race a month in 2014, starting with the Tom Brennan on January 1. I am planning on doing DCM in October, but only if things are going well for me over the next 5-6 months.

Thanks to everyone who's read and commented on this log since the start. You've helped make this past year one into one of the years I can look back on with pride, and I hope to see some of you at future races or events.

:)

2014 not off to the best start. Have had a bit of a headcold the past couple of days. Was still planning to race today but woke up this morning feeling quite weak and shivery so no running for me. :(

If I'm back to myself by Saturday, I'll give a Parkrun a go. If not, it'll be the following Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

vitani wrote: »
    2014 not off to the best start. Have had a bit of a headcold the past couple of days. Was still planning to race today but woke up this morning feeling quite weak and shivery so no running for me. :(

If I'm back to myself by Saturday, I'll give a Parkrun a go. If not, it'll be the following Saturday.

No point rushing back rest is the best thing for you.

Just an easy 3 miles this morning in 29.19 - to be honest, I wouldn't have been able for much more than that. Either the early morning or the few days of illness made it challenging enough.

5 miles this morning in 48:45 - Average pace of 9.45 min/mile

First time running two days in a row in quite a while, so just took it at a handy pace and felt fine throughout. I seem to have shaken off whatever was wrong with me during the week.

I'm starting the pre-training schedule on the Cool Running Beginner HM plan - I'm going to follow it roughly for the Kildare HM at the end of April, but I'll probably bump up the long runs to what's in the intermediate plan, and substitute the Tuesday run for whatever speedwork I'll be doing when I finally get down to a club (which hopefully should be from next week).

Club session this evening. 8 x 100m with 300m jog recoveries, followed by 5 miles on the road.

Intervals usually terrify me but I liked the 100m distance. I ran the 8 between 24 and 26 seconds each, so at about 6.20 min/mile pace. The 'jog' recoveries were at about 8.30 min/mile - it's funny how running with other people affects you. That would normally be a fast pace for me, but it felt slow enough to recover.

Overall, not including the warmup, the total distance was 7.2 miles. I enjoyed this evening and the plan this year is to make at least one session a week.

Legs were still quite stiff today after Tuesday's session, so did what I probably should have done yesterday and headed out for a run at recovery pace. 4 miles in 43:50 - an average pace of 10.57 min/mile, which was pretty much all I was able for. After the first mile, my legs loosened up but I still kept the pace slow. Had a good stretch when I got home and am feeling much better for it now, but might need to spend some alone time with the foam roller in the morning.

With the Kildare HM cancellation, I need to readjust my racing plans for the year. I'm now thinking of tackling the Newry half at the end of May - it might even be a blessing in disguise as it gives me a few more weeks to get my weekly mileage up before starting to train for it. I'm also considering the 10k in Bohermeen at the start of March.

An easy 6 miles today in 0:59:27 - Average pace of 9.53 min/mile

Enjoyable six miles today, although I forgot to fasten the strings of my running leggings which nearly led to disaster half a mile in :)

• Advertisement

Club session last night. The plan was 10 x 100m, with 300m recoveries. I had to take a break after the fifth one, as I was just not feeling it. I'd had a banana just before leaving the house and I could feel it sitting in my stomach. Joined back in for the last four but fell a good bit behind everyone else. I kept telling myself I'd stop after the next one, but managed to keep going until the end. In terms of speed, it wasn't great. In terms of perseverance, I was happy though - I just had to remind myself that a little bit of discomfort wasn't going to kill me.

Was dithering about whether to go out on the road for the 5 miles after the speedwork, but eventually decided to, telling myself I could turn back after a mile if I needed to. Did the full five miles in an average pace of 9.13 min/mile and by halfway through, found myself able to chat without sounding or feeling like I was about to die from lack of air. Finished the run feeling great. :)

Advertisement