Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running's not just for New Year's, it's for life!

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Is the HM next weekend? Sounds like you are flying in training:D What are you aiming for?

Thanks! Yeah, it's next Sunday! *bites nails*

Aiming for under 1.55, but my plan is really to try and run every mile at 8.40 or below, and preferably keep most of them in and around the 8.30 mark.
    Darren 83 wrote: »
    You will be well able for a 1:50 half, how do you find the club sessions

We'll see! :)

The club sessions are tough enough, and part of me spends the afternoon absolutely dreading them whenever they're on that evening, but I always end up loving them by the time they're over, and I'm on a high for the next day because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

vitani wrote: »
    Thanks! Yeah, it's next Sunday! *bites nails*

Aiming for under 1.55, but my plan is really to try and run every mile at 8.40 or below, and preferably keep most of them in and around the 8.30 mark.

We'll see! :)

The club sessions are tough enough, and part of me spends the afternoon absolutely dreading them whenever they're on that evening, but I always end up loving them by the time they're over, and I'm on a high for the next day because of them.
    Good luck, you will fly it. What plan are you using? Im looking for half marathon plan at moment for HM in May.

Good luck, you will fly it. What plan are you using? Im looking for half marathon plan at moment for HM in May.

I've kind of adapted the club plan to what suits me in terms of weekly mileage, but really, I'm not following a plan this time around. I only signed up 6 weeks ago, so I've just had to make it up as I went along, adjusting the training sessions to how I felt. Hopefully, it will pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Hope you are well rested for the race, and will be looking forward to hearing the race report and big pb

Good luck at the weekend!

• Advertisement

Thanks, both of you! Taking it easy enough this week and nervous as fcuk about Sunday - trying not to think about it too much :)

Thanks, both of you! Taking it easy enough this week and nervous as fcuk about Sunday - trying not to think about it too much :)
    You will be fine, the waiting is the worst, hope weather is kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Best of luck tomorrow vitani. You'll smash your pb. No bother to you;)

1:53:52

:D

Will cobble together a report later, once I'm dry and fed.

1:53:52

:D

Will cobble together a report later, once I'm dry and fed.

WELL DONE vitani!
    Great result. Hope you enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading all about it later:D

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    WELL DONE vitani!
    Great result. Hope you enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading all about it later:D

Great result, well done, do plenty of refuelling now!!!! Looking forward to the details.

Fantastic result Vitani well deserved

This is going to be a short report because today ended up being a really uneventful race - I headed out at a comfortable pace and pretty much kept it up for the whole way round. I held back a bit at the start even though I felt I could have gone faster, but it probably paid off by the end. Average pace, according to my Garmin was 8.38, which I'm pleased with - it was within my target and my time is a good 4 minutes + off my previous HM time.

I can't do a mile by mile breakdown, because I can't even remember that much, so I'll just list points of note as they occur to me:

- The rain before the start was awful. I did not want to get out of the car. Luckily I warmed up about two miles into the race, and it died off before we'd got even half way round. Despite the rain, the weather wasn't cold - all in all, it was good running weather.
    - The course was a real PB course. The 'hill' that I'd heard so much about didn't pose any bother to me either time. There were a couple of fake hills as well which amused me. A couple of times I could see the line of people ahead of me stretching up but when I got nearer, it felt like there was barely any slope at all.
    - Was wearing my club singlet, so it was nice to hear people using the club name to shout me on. Although, having said that, most of the race had no spectators at all - very different to my first HM. About half way through, we passed the clubhouse & startline again, so the cheers there felt very special. Same as we approached the end.
    - I don't know if this is a standard racing tactic, but it's a pattern I've fallen into in the last couple of races - I'll run up towards the person or group in front of me, keep pace for about 30 seconds and then pass them out and do it again. It's not that I'm trying to consciously beat them, but I always find that when I've caught up, their pace is slower than I want to run. It's great, actually, because I pretty much spent the entire race passing people out, including three people from my own club.
    - I felt so strong coming up to the end. I'd kind of let my pace fall a bit in the twelfth mile, but when I checked my watch, I realised that I could make 1:53:xx if I picked it up again and I was able to put on a burst of speed. I'll have to double check when the video goes up later, but I think I even passed someone out on the approach to the finish line.

Overall, I'm on top of the world. I loved the race, and I'm really starting to appreciate the atmosphere of club races, the more I do of them. I'm delighted with my time, especially as I only signed up so recently. I'd like to knock another 9 minutes off it by the end of the year so we'll see if I can... I also (and I'm being wildly optimistic here) think that it sets me up with a possible sub-4 hour time in the marathon in October. Which I am definitely going to do now. So, yeah! Apologies for the poor race report to anyone reading it. :)

Well done again Vitani, club sessions paying off

Great stuff, all your training paid off, you could definitely go sub 4 in DCM, I did with a higher HM time than that!

Great report vitani, don't be apologising at all. I'd be the same trying to write a race report. I can't understand how anyone can remember each mile of a race:eek: No way I could. The whole thing pretty much a blur by the time the finish line comes round!
    Great day for you and sets you up nicely going towards marathon training and definitely many many more minutes to be taken off that time in the next few months!

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Well done again Vitani, club sessions paying off

I think so! Best decision I've made about my running. I'm going to become one of those annoying people on here who's answer to every query is 'have you joined a club?' :D
    Great stuff, all your training paid off, you could definitely go sub 4 in DCM, I did with a higher HM time than that!

Oh, that fills me with hope! :D

It's starting to feel like a real possibility now.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Great report vitani, don't be apologising at all. I'd be the same trying to write a race report. I can't understand how anyone can remember each mile of a race:eek: No way I could. The whole thing pretty much a blur by the time the finish line comes round!
    Great day for you and sets you up nicely going towards marathon training and definitely many many more minutes to be taken off that time in the next few months!

Yeah, I think I was too busy enjoying it to remember most of it. It's a great boost to have a half under my belt so early in the year - it should set me up really nicely for the big one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Congrats on the PB. You have every right to go for sub 4 in Dublin. If you're training stays as good as it's been you'll fly it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Brilliant performance Vitani - well done.

Advertisement