Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented Houses in poor state

Options
  • 17-02-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hope someone can help!

We live in an estate where some of the houses are rented out.

There is a row of houses about 6-8 of them which are really run down looking, grass never cut, rubbish all over garden, empty beer bottles, makeshift curtains, filthy looking houses in general compared to the rest of the estate. They really bring the place down.

Just wondering if there is anything that can be done to make the landlord who owns these clean them up so that they are in line with the test of the houses?

This particular landlord is a fat slob of man himself who puts only the worst of tenants in to his houses. He always seems to have them evicted after a few months for some reason or another. He's not the type that listens to the estate residents who complain regularly about his houses so we are looking to see if there is any law or some rule or something that can we force him to clean the houses up?

All ideas welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

1st get onto the council and take plenty of photos and explain there are serious health & safety issues especally for children & animals as there are bin, rubbish, glass & so on left out all over the place.

If you have the landlords home address keep sending letters and maybe think of informing the PRTB or Threshold they may be able to help.

Also contact the Environmental Health Officer for your area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

Firstly get telephone number of landlord. Tenants would give it to you. Ring him up and be pleasent to him - tell him that you are all trying to keep the value of the estate up in the current climate and suggest he do x y z eg paint wash curtains etc. He may not see it. If however he does not co-operate contact the council and they will check house and you can be sure with the new legislation he will not have proper vents or trinkle vents in windows and the windows maynot even have the legal openings. The council will make them remove any rubbish snd cut any uncut grass. I own houses myself and i send in a window cleaner every 3 months, have a gardener and providr tenants with 2 pairs of curtains and when they change them I wash and return the dirty ones. It is very frustrating living next to dirty houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ladysarah wrote: »
    Firstly get telephone number of landlord. Tenants would give it to you. Ring him up and be pleasent to him - tell him that you are all trying to keep the value of the estate up in the current climate and suggest he do x y z eg paint wash curtains etc. He may not see it. If however he does not co-operate contact the council and they will check house and you can be sure with the new legislation he will not have proper vents or trinkle vents in windows and the windows maynot even have the legal openings. The council will make them remove any rubbish snd cut any uncut grass. I own houses myself and i send in a window cleaner every 3 months, have a gardener and providr tenants with 2 pairs of curtains and when they change them I wash and return the dirty ones. It is very frustrating living next to dirty houses.

im sorry but most of this is awful advice. You think suggestion to somebody that they pain and wash curtains is going to help ? If somebody lets their property go like that your out of your mind if you think that they will act upon a plesant phone call from a neighbour. as for tennants giving you the landlords number, nieve in the extreme its fair to say most tennants would not furnish you with a landlords number expecially if they believe it is for you to complain about them.

as for the legislation you refer to yes the council can check the property meets this but there is zero provision in it for having to clean up a tatty looking house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

I just realisec everything I post you criticise. mods can you view replies from above poster to my current and previous comments in the accommodation section ihave had to talk to landlords myself whose houses were appalling and some genuinely did not see it themselves. Yes some will not take any notice. a lady i know was living next to a house which was in awful condition the owner would not co operate so she reported the house to the council. the owner was giving a list of things to do to bring house up to stanard.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For the litter, talk to the council litter warden - littering on private property, even your own, is still littering.

The grass / gardens, the housing department can deal with under regulations.

Anything else is really down to the landlord and tenants and you can't force either to do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I just realisec everything I post you criticise. mods can you view replies from above poster to my current and previous comments in the accommodation section ihave had to talk to landlords myself whose houses were appalling and some genuinely did not see it themselves. Yes some will not take any notice. a lady i know was living next to a house which was in awful condition the owner would not co operate so she reported the house to the council. the owner was giving a list of things to do to bring house up to stanard.

bring a house up to standard and a house being seen as tatty by neighbours are completely different things.

a council cannot make somebody paint the outside of a property for example or wash dirty curtains as mentioned by the OP.

Yes I have been critical of some of your posts and rightly so. You have for one thing posted incorrect information here previously. See mortgage term extension as an example (a post in which i might add one of the moderators also replied on afterwards also disagreeing with what you have said)

this is a forum and im following the forum rules attack the post not the poster. Im sorry you have an issue with me not agreeing with your posts but the fact is if I have issue with a post i will say so equally if I agree with something I will. Ive no axe to grind with your or a personal vandetta i just disagree with what you have said here and previously.

oh and by the way i have disagreed on points you have made in three posts in this forum. you have made 17 in total so bit of an exageration that i critise all your posts ...

mortgage rate extension - your response was factually incorrect
    cu's and icb - your response was factually incorrect

and this thread which whilst not factually incorrect is pretty poor advise if you actually look at the overall scenario and apply common sense to it and in parts is misleading regarding reference to legistlation where you have intimated weather intentionally or not that the ops problems which are for the most part cosmetic can be resolved by council intervention (when outside the litter and garden aspect cannot)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ordinarily I would agree that talking to the landlord (if you have their contact details; the tenant almost certainly won't give them to you) would be the first port of call in a situation like this, but in this instance it sounds as if the OP had either already tried that, or knows the landlord well enough to know what kind of a response to expect.

I would say that the litter might be the best avenue to pursue, as it is the one thing that would almost certainly be followed up on. The rest of your issues may prove to be a struggle to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

:eek:

You wash your tenants curtains for them? Are they children or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

OP...have you considered asking those responsible (namely the tenants!) for the filth in the gardens and the filthy curtains to do something about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 edmac33

murphaph wrote: »
    OP...have you considered asking those responsible (namely the tenants!) for the filth in the gardens and the filthy curtains to do something about it?

The tenants aren't the type of people that would do anything just a bunch of lads that don't seem to care what they live in

• Advertisement
Advertisement