Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange phonecall

Options
  • 17-02-2013 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭

Received a strange phonecall today. This man, claiming to be an ex-member of an Garda Siochana called for a chat.

He said he was ringing around warning people about a certain person moving into the area. The phone number was weird, 00965_______, there was a beeping in the background like a payphone(do they still exist) or else he was recording it. I would say he is going through the phonebook, glad my name will be gone out of it next time it is published.

Anyone else receive this phonecall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Received a strange phonecall today. This man, claiming to be an ex-member of an Garda Siochana called for a chat.

He said he was ringing around warning people about a certain person moving into the area. The phone number was weird, 00965_______, there was a beeping in the background like a payphone(do they still exist) or else he was recording it. I would say he is going through the phonebook, glad my name will be gone out of it next time it is published.

Did you search the number on google? If it was a scam call it might be posted somewhere.

If I received a call like that I would just hang up. I have no time to listen to some eejit on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wildbill1985

Id be very careful.A few months back I had a person calling saying they had a missed call from my house phone.The thing is I was out all day and couldnt have made the call.And i was just in the door when this person called. Reckon there could be raiders ringing the house phone to see if there was anyone home .Since then i divert the calls to my mobile when im gone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

TheNog wrote: »
    Did you search the number on google? If it was a scam call it might be posted somewhere.

If I received a call like that I would just hang up. I have no time to listen to some eejit on the phone

Yeah tried that and nothing showed up, he was an old enough guy which was why I didn't hang up. I don't know maybe he's just some old man loosing his marbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

Where are you based?

I caught an ole fella looking into the windows of houses on our street in the middle of the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

A scam methinks.
    00965 is the international dialling code for Kuwait, source:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_telephone_country_code_965

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

......there was a beeping in the background like a payphone(do they still exist) or else he was recording it.

A few years back I was one of many who operated a telephone line with several extensions, in a state-owned building.
    We discovered it was possible to discretely listen-in to the calls.
    If one did so, it activated a beeping sound in the background that could be heard by the recipient of the call.
    Needless to say, I didn't listen-in to any calls.

Where are you based?

I caught an ole fella looking into the windows of houses on our street in the middle of the afternoon.

Not sure if serious.
    bagels wrote: »
    A scam methinks.
    00965 is the international dialling code for Kuwait, source:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_telephone_country_code_965

Yeah, that screamed scam to me too. Runs off to check on-line phone bill.
    bagels wrote: »
    A few years back I was one of many who operated a telephone line with several extensions, in a state-owned building.
    We discovered it was possible to discretely listen-in to the calls.
    If one did so, it activated a beeping sound in the background that could be heard by the recipient of the call.
    Needless to say, I didn't listen-in to any calls.

Don't think this ties on with this phonecall. Sounds like it is just some oddball taking the neighbourhood watch too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Why not ring the guards just to see if they received any other calls about this ex-Garda Siochana member!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

Not sure if serious.

Yes, am totally serious. Last either Thursday or Friday in Oranmore village there was an old guy in black leather jacket looking in the windows of the houses on the dublinroad....a couple of us questioned him as to what he was up to and he came back with different answers. I am wondering is it the same man.

Heard some similar incidents were mentioned on Galway bay fm today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement