Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford accent

Options
  • 17-02-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Do longford people have an strong accent??

Comments

Moved from Humanities to Longford.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I haven't really noticed a distinct one myself, but then because I'm from the area that could be why I wouldn't notice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The letter 'T' does not exist in Longford. Jus ask anywan don de bohom a main stree'
    Or..
    If it does get used it will be because a 'H' follows it. Try calling Backstage Teitter to confirm dis.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I know how to use the letter "T" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

why longford getting a bad press all the time (yes the accent is flat bog )
    but its very nice place in the summer well most of it

• Advertisement

starskey77 wrote: »
    why longford getting a bad press all the time (yes the accent is flat bog )
    but its very nice place in the summer well most of it

Here is the relevance to the thread .

here is your point

right

here .

Everywhere has an accent. Its not bad press!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

The letter 'T' does not exist in Longford. Jus ask anywan don de bohom a main stree'
    Or..
    If it does get used it will be because a 'H' follows it. Try calling Backstage Teitter to confirm dis.

Must be the company your keeping. Possibly hanging around the market square too much. My circle of friends all know how to pronounce their words correctly.

somuj wrote: »
    Must be the company your keeping. Possibly hanging around the market square too much. My circle of friends all know how to pronounce their words correctly.

Does your circle of friends all go on the defensive with a whopping great chip on their superior shoulders as quick?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Does your circle of friends all go on the defensive with a whopping great chip on their superior shoulders as quick?

No chip on my shoulders. Their you go with your ridiculous statements again. I wonder how many "t's" I used there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I think Longford people have a very flat accent. I'm from a pretty respectable part of Longford and yet when i'm in University during the week, people in my course find it very funny :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I don't think Longford people have a particularly strong accent. Of course it depends on what area of Longford you are in, whether it's the town or the country. On another note, I'm a Longfordian and I pronounce my T's! Although, I have to admit I lol'd reading that post. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i live in england, and people always tell me that my accent is one of the nicer irish ones. then again, the last person they've talked to could be from the arse end of cork.
    when i'm home, i notice a big difference between town and country though. north longford seems to get 2 syllables out of 'here'....hayoooor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neli

You don't pronounce your Ts. honest!
    A few years ago my sister and I were at Mass in Longford one Sunday (perhaps not the most obvious the place to go for a good laugh). By the time the congregation had finished singing 'Faith of our Fathers' we were rolling in the aisle screaming for them to stop as we had pains from the laughter!
    On the up side, my Dad has a Longford accent and women are always swooning over it and telling me how lovely it is :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

neli wrote: »
    You don't pronounce your Ts. honest!
    A few years ago my sister and I were at Mass in Longford one Sunday (perhaps not the most obvious the place to go for a good laugh). By the time the congregation had finished singing 'Faith of our Fathers' we were rolling in the aisle screaming for them to stop as we had pains from the laughter!
    On the up side, my Dad has a Longford accent and women are always swooning over it and telling me how lovely it is :eek:

I pronounce my T's, but I tend to elongate my vowels (apparently).
    Instead of saying No like a normal human being..I say Noooooo.....

My accent is thicker when I get angry or I am not thinking about what I'm saying....it gets all country and people think it's hilarious. It's got a lot flatter since I moved to Dublin, but you'd know when I had gone back to Longford for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neli

Trust me, my Dad thinks he pronounces his Ts but, he really he doesn't.
    They may be there in your head but, they are not coming out of your mouth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Well i managed to pull endless birds in the USA with my Longford accent ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Wha ya on bout sham?

Advertisement