Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penalty Points

Options
  • 17-02-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi

In the Uk for approx 9 month. Bought a UK reg car but using my Irish licence. Got a letter from the DVLA/coppers telling me I got caught doing 35 in a 30 a few weeks back. I took the option of doing the driver awareness course but if i didn't , can they put points on my irish licence? Are the transferable to ireland?

Thanks

Frogeye Stanners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

don't take this for gospel but as far as i know, the police create a file on you and any traffic offence you commit or penalty points you receive are logged on that file.
    I don't think the penalty points stand on your irish licence when your back in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

The UK can't put penalty points on your Irish license. But, as far as I know, after 6 months in the UK you are obliged to change your Irish license to a UK license. And when you do that, any penalty points that are on file for you will then be put onto the UK license.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

sudzs wrote: »
    The UK can't put penalty points on your Irish license. But, as far as I know, after 6 months in the UK you are obliged to change your Irish license to a UK license. And when you do that, any penalty points that are on file for you will then be put onto the UK license.

You only need to exchange an EU licence for a uk one when the licence expires. A directive was passed for common points system but it is not yet in force. I thought you had to exceed limit + 10% + 2mph (ACPO guidance) before any action was taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Marcusm wrote: »
    I thought you had to exceed limit + 10% + 2mph (ACPO guidance) before any action was taken.

limit (30) + 10% (3) + 2 = 35, which is what he was doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Exactly, he didn't EXCEED the formula; I think you may have missed that word in my post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement