Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steinel motion detector wiring issue.

Options
  • 17-02-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a steinel PIR Motion Detector model IS140a. There was a steinel sensor there before but different model. As far as I can remember the the old, new and house wiring goes like this.

Old sensor: brown, blue, earth (yellow/green).
    New sensor: brown, blue, black.
    House wiring: Brown, blue, earth(yellow/green).

I wired up the new sensor today and have blue with blue, brown with brown and earth with black. My issue is it won't come on at all but if I switch on the outdoor light with a switch in the house and then off again they stay on as if switch on by the sensor( for min time of 8 seconds) but if I walk by the sensor nothing happens. I think I just have the wiring wrong so can anyone advise please?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

sounds like maybe the Live in and Live out are reversed

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

The earth is not connected to the black.If Iam not mistaken the live from the switch connects to the black,the brown connects to brown live going to the light and all blue neutrals are connected.The earth from the light and the switch are connected using a small bare connecter in the corner of the base plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

So connect up the brown from house with the black in the sensor, the blue from house with blue in the sensor, the earth from house to stand alone screw in the corner of sensor base. What do i do with the brown wire left over in sensor since i've used up the 3 wires from house and black and blue from sensor. I have no idea bout electrics so sorry bout the simple terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

I think this is the manual for the sensor http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/neweys/pdf/Steinel_IS_Motion_Detectors_Installation_Manual.pdf
    Brown is the live in to the sensor
    Blue is the neutral to the sensor
    Black is the live from the sensor to the lamp

Do you have the model number of the old sensor.

Is there a chance that when the sensor was put in, an ordinary piece of flex was use and the green/yellow wire may have been a live wire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

frankmul wrote: »
    I think this is the manual for the sensor http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/neweys/pdf/Steinel_IS_Motion_Detectors_Installation_Manual.pdf
    Brown is the live in to the sensor
    Blue is the neutral to the sensor
    Black is the live from the sensor to the lamp

Is there a chance that when the sensor was put in, an ordinary piece of flex was use and the green/yellow wire may have been a live wire?
    it sounded to me like a 3-core flex flex setup alright

kinda hard to advise in these cases

if i recall steinel use black switched live
    robus use red

op may be best get an electrician to help out

• Advertisement

Thats what I am thinking as well I would think the brown has to be connected to the green/ yellow as this must be the live supply for the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

M cebee wrote: »
    it sounded to me like a 3-core flex flex setup alright

kinda hard to advise in these cases

if i recall steinel use black switched live
    robus use red

op may be best get an electrician to help out

Yes, best option I'm afraid.

Yes, best option I'm afraid.
    +1 without being able to see and test these cables its hard to know how this is wired.

Advertisement