Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BROADBAND IN WEXFORD HELP

• 17-02-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Can someone please recommend a decent broadband company in wexford town please, I currently have rocket broadband from skytel but it has been playing up for the last month and there CS is useless, Im looking for something of a similar price 30e to 40e and unlimited and fast, ive searched google but cant seem to find any Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Does anybody on here currently use Rocket broadband? I know there reviews from a few years ago was poor but a few people I have been talking to recently said there speeds were good and they have no usage cap. Any speedtests would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jcbh

in the same boat. currently with Eircom but I can only get a 3mb connection which is a joke. Are Rocket any good or have you gone with someone else?

jcbh wrote: »
    in the same boat. currently with Eircom but I can only get a 3mb connection which is a joke. Are Rocket any good or have you gone with someone else?

My friend 2 minutes up the road got Rocket, I posted a speedtest from him in this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056582544

He has it a few weeks now and is loving it he also switched from Eircom. The pings are good have been up gaming on it a good few hours now and no trouble at all.
    The only thing is from peak hours 5 - 9 in the evenings it can drop down to 6 -7 mbps but its still better then his 2mb Eircom connection he had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 DoingGood77

Avoid Skytel Broadband!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

it seems that if you ring to complain about your connection they will cancel your subscription give you and months notice and take your equipment back. disgraceful! I've had it for years paid up every month without fail and have put up with it when the connection was bad. for the majority of the time it was very good and it still gives me a solid 5 mbs every day. gaming and downloading is not problem.I have voiced my unhappiness when it was bad but that is my right, but it seems they have taken exception to this and decided to cancel it. their excuse is that because of the distance to where I live I am putting too much of a strain on their base station!! the house right next to me has their dish pointing at the same base station and is further away from me but they have said nothing to them. I said that if it was trees that could be the problem I would have them topped but no they are not interested. If it continues I'm going on Joe Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

Nolars wrote: »
    Does anybody on here currently use Rocket broadband? I know there reviews from a few years ago was poor but a few people I have been talking to recently said there speeds were good and they have no usage cap. Any speedtests would be welcome.

Dont waste your time. Its the worst customers service i ever dealt with. Oversubscribed antennas, poor reliability, advertised speeds are a lie. Stay away, can you tell where are you located in wexford?

• Advertisement

trompele wrote: »
    Dont waste your time. Its the worst customers service i ever dealt with. Oversubscribed antennas, poor reliability, advertised speeds are a lie. Stay away, can you tell where are you located in wexford?

My friend near me got them a few months back and has only had 1 issue and they solved it fast for him. Also the speeds are way and above Eircom's bad 1 - 2 mbps. Best of a bad bunch in the countryside..

Did you read my post? it's always sunshine and light at the beginning. trust me if someone were to look into how they actually operate and were to scrutinize their practices they would have packed up and gone. as it is I am waiting to get back from them, which they still haven't done, over a week now. then it's back to comreg. then Joe Duffy, they need to be exposed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

OP - try the Wexford forum maybe for more accurate responses?

Did you read my post? it's always sunshine and light at the beginning. trust me if someone were to look into how they actually operate and were to scrutinize their practices they would have packed up and gone. as it is I am waiting to get back from them, which they still haven't done, over a week now. then it's back to comreg. then Joe Duffy, they need to be exposed

Dude they have no contract leave them if you are not happy and get eircom or something. Broadband in this country is a joke so if you are going to go to the trouble of complaining, complain about Eircom and the government's so called broadband plan for this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Large Parts of Wexford Town are now covered by fibre.

Personally I use Carnsore Broadband. Its Line of Sight. As well as using Forth Mtn, they have a few mini repeaters around the Town (one over the swimming pool at the Riverbank).

Its 30 yo yo's per month, no limits and they are good support wise. For example: Donedeal run there operation off it.

3021126559.png

• Advertisement

again did you read my post? I'm happy with the service even though the owner and employees I wouldn't spit on if they were on fire. they are deciding to cut me off because I complained! there's absolutely nothing wrong with the connection. I'm willing to do something about it unlike most Irish People in this situation who are happy to bend over and take it. typical Irish mentality "they must be right, we'll say nothing" sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

again did you read my post? I'm happy with the service even though the owner and employees I wouldn't spit on if they were on fire. they are deciding to cut me off because I complained! there's absolutely nothing wrong with the connection. I'm willing to do something about it unlike most Irish People in this situation who are happy to bend over and take it. typical Irish mentality "they must be right, we'll say nothing" sad

Man, chillax with the attitude and people might be more responsive to you.

Just sayin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

3023096176.png

Here's mine at the minute,Wexford town now has speeds of up to 150Mb/s although not all the town is covered.

I absolutely agree. Comreg should look little bit closed @ this company. Promises everything to get you in. Start complaining and they will cut you off or limit your bandwidth. Up to 18 Mbits is a biggest lie, you will never get close to these speeds no matter what because your throughput is limited to 6-8 Mbits on the router and it does not depend on congestion (their lame explanation for any problem). I thought I was alone but is looks like there is more customers with same situation.

that's exactly right trompele. Comreg are beginning to look a lot closer now though and hopefully something will be done very soon. shocking what they are allowed get away with and how they treat loyal customers. I've been with them a long time and have put a lot of business their way. but because I complain that I am not getting what I pay for this is what happens. I really hope they get what's coming to them.

Used to only have about 2.7 megs with Eircom and 0.3 upload, with Rocket a few weeks now.

3128283566.png

Enjoy it while it lasts ;) I'm down to under 4mb now because I complained

Enjoy it while it lasts ;) I'm down to under 4mb now because I complained

Doesn't sound right. I have 2 friends who are with them months and never a problem, also if it WAS 4 meg it would still be better then eircoms 2 and a half meg and also cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

OP, did you get sorted here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jcbh

Using Regional Broadband 6mb connection for last 2 months. Expensive but no download limit. No problems to report so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Berger1

My experience with this company have been appalling. I was a long term customer of theirs and was paying the maximum amount of €35 per month by direct debit. The signal strength and broadband speed that they were promising and that I was paying for were never delivered. At best I was getting
    1 to 2 megs while I was paying for 15 !
    I had numerous issues which were never really resolved. Generally the speed was temporarily turned up to keep me quiet. One day the only assistance they could give me was to turn my comment and router off and back on !
    The lack of consistent signal strength continued, I love within close range of two of their masts.
    I found their attitude and customer service completely amateur and I have left messages requesting a call from the managing director. To date I am still awaiting a reply of kind ! Basically they don't have and even hang up on you.
    The signal was so bad and inconsistent that I stopped my payment. The only time I could get a half decent speed was at 6 am ! I work in an industry where are margins are based on csi scores and we pride ourselves on providing a quality product and customer experience which guarantees future business.
    Eventually i was cut off without warning, their installer entered my property with permission and removed the receiver from the wall that was belong to my new broadband provider !!! This is trespassing without permission.
    Another row ensued and as stated I am still awaiting a response from the MD.
    Based on my experiences I can only describe my saga of events with this amateur shower as completely comical and my advice is to avoid avoid avoid.
    They completely over promise and under deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭improv_12

...Rocket doesn't sound very promising.....:confused:

I am in a similar position.....

I am moving to Kilmore Quay (Wexford) and need to get broadband. I won't have a phoneline so I thought something like Rocket might be an option. Any other suggestions?

From the Rocket website I still can't exactly establish the technology used? Do people need a reciever dish or something?

:confused:

Try carnsore, they might have reception in kilmore

Berger1 wrote: »
    My experience with this company have been appalling. I was a long term customer of theirs and was paying the maximum amount of €35 per month by direct debit. The signal strength and broadband speed that they were promising and that I was paying for were never delivered. At best I was getting
    1 to 2 megs while I was paying for 15 !
    I had numerous issues which were never really resolved. Generally the speed was temporarily turned up to keep me quiet. One day the only assistance they could give me was to turn my comment and router off and back on !
    The lack of consistent signal strength continued, I love within close range of two of their masts.
    I found their attitude and customer service completely amateur and I have left messages requesting a call from the managing director. To date I am still awaiting a reply of kind ! Basically they don't have and even hang up on you.
    The signal was so bad and inconsistent that I stopped my payment. The only time I could get a half decent speed was at 6 am ! I work in an industry where are margins are based on csi scores and we pride ourselves on providing a quality product and customer experience which guarantees future business.
    Eventually i was cut off without warning, their installer entered my property with permission and removed the receiver from the wall that was belong to my new broadband provider !!! This is trespassing without permission.
    Another row ensued and as stated I am still awaiting a response from the MD.
    Based on my experiences I can only describe my saga of events with this amateur shower as completely comical and my advice is to avoid avoid avoid.
    They completely over promise and under deliver
    I woulnd expect md to give you a call. He is biggest pr..ck of them all.
    Let me know on pm i can pass you over some contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

I could NEVER EVER recommend Skytel / Rocket Broadband. Please AVOID at all costs!
    They have a terrible service. Terrible reputation. Terrible customer service. They were so negatively rated on "rate my ISP" website that they had all the reviews for Skytel taken down off the website.

You start off great, fast. Then they automatically throttle your speeds to 1Meg if you do anything more than check your email and facebook. They call it "fair prioritising of customers". Basically they want you to pay for fast broadband, but don't want you using it at all.
    Their 'fair usage' monthly cap is dreadfully small, and if you complain at all, they'll just be rude to you and say "right, you're obviously not happy, we'll cancel your service and that's the end of that". Rudest most unprofessional customer service I ever dealt with.

I've moved to Carnsore Broadband, and am much happier I have to admit. I was throttled down to 1.5M at one stage, but a quick email to them and I got sorted back up to 13M.

All my friends have moved from Rocket broadband now (actually just rebranded Skytel) because of their very poor service.

Yep it's me again to update you on the exemplary service provided by Skytel or Rocket Broadband or whatever the **** their called. I'm being sarcastic of course. Last time I posted was October and your probably wondering why I'm still using them. Well I contacted ComReg and told them my case then they contacted Skytel, the result was that they decided they would continue to provide me broadband but had the right to stop it whenever they felt fit. To be honest I've been too busy to really look closely at the speeds since around December and have not been using it for anything heavy like downloads or gaming. Their excuse for the poor speeds is 'interference' what the hell does that mean?????!!!!! There is a clean line of site isn't it their job to know what the interference is? This may sound paranoid or far fetched but I really don't think it is - they are leaving my speeds this bad to get rid of me. Believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Berger1

Dont expect anything normal or that involves common sense from that shower of amateurs, A site survey at the start would have been the solution there.
    It is well known that they play with signal strenghts and their service is not designed for any serious operations on the web.
    When I challenged them on lack of signal and crap aftersales service they cut me off and put down the phone.
    Change providers !

Yep I'm planning on it Berger. Carnsore Broadband is now an invite only service which means you need to contact someone who you know has it and then get that person to contact them with your details. Never heard of that before but I'll do it if it means less headaches and trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Yeah Carnsore aren't greedy, which is great to see. They don't want to go over their contention ratio and overcrowd the service. Fair play to them. They're better than skytel/rocket broadband any day. It's friends and family recommendation only I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 gingeralien

Hi using carnsore broadband here
    I have been with them for a allmost 2 years now .
    However the conection speeds drop to about 2 megs or under
    at peek time's.
    I am in the Drinagh area and connected to mayglass water tower.

Advertisement