Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bales next move

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Atletico are broke. He is definitely gonna go to Real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

EdenHazard wrote: »
    He'll be Atletico's replacement for Falcao. I know Falcao is a striker btw, but he'll be their marque signing. Watch this space.

That move would make absolutely no sense, never going to happen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

EdenHazard wrote: »
    He'll be Atletico's replacement for Falcao. I know Falcao is a striker btw, but he'll be their marque signing. Watch this space.

Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Morzadec wrote: »
    To be fair, Barca aside (possibly wouldn't suit such a system and they have a lot of quality), there isn't a team in the world that he wouldn't improve.

My money would be on Real Madrid. One of the few teams who will shell out what will surely be a massive transfer fee.

But he has people in the same position as him at other big clubs who are around his level of quality, Ronaldo obviously at Madrid, Robben/Ribery at Bayern, Lavezzi at PSG, Hazard at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gbear wrote: »
    Could be a good shout. Ribery will be 30 in April.

And might be in jail anyway . :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Bertser wrote: »
    But he has people in the same position as him at other big clubs who are around his level of quality, Ronaldo obviously at Madrid, Robben/Ribery at Bayern, Lavezzi at PSG, Hazard at Chelsea.

You forgot Gervinho at Arsenal...

just saying

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

To be fair, Barca aside (possibly wouldn't suit such a system and they have a lot of quality), there isn't a team in the world that he wouldn't improve.

To me Barcelona would've been ideal to replace the rampaging Abidal runs, but they got Alba last Summer and I don't see Bale getting anywhere further forward on the pitch in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Real, maybe Bayern (Ribery, though great, is getting on a bit). Can't see anyone else getting a chance. PSG don't need that type of player, United bought Zaha and have options, Juve can't afford him, Barca don't seem interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Why not City? Think they'll have a new manager come the summer who'll more than likely be given a war chest of money to go out and blow. One of the few big spending teams were you could definitely see a fit for him in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Bertser wrote: »

But we're talking about a player just coming into his prime who surely has at least about 6 or 7 years of football at the highest standard ahead of him.

In terms of an ability to dribble and score on the counter with pace and strength, there are very few ahead of him - perhaps only Ronaldo.

Madrid have never been put off a marquee signing by what they have in that position already. I agree with you that if I were Madrid I would be looking for a top quality centre-forward, but they seem to have their eye on Bale. And even still Bale would probably be an improvement on Di Maria and would suit their style perfectly.

Bayern you make a good point, they are strong in this area and with Guardiola coming in I'm not sure they would be in for them. However I still reckon he would improve them. But I don't see him going there.

At Chelsea Bale would be a big improvement on what they have as they could play Hazard (or Mata) centrally. (Bale-Hazard-Mata) with Oscar as backup.

Bale would hugely improve PSG's team.

I'm not necessarily saying that any of these teams will be in for him. Like I said I think he's off to Madrid, while City might offer some competition for his signature.

But I do think he would improve basically any team in Europe, and go straight into the first XI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Gareth Bales next move.......

...backward 2 and ½ somersaults with 2 and ½ twists in the piked position.

Im here all week folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Leiva wrote: »

Im here all week folks.

....Can you go somewhere else? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

maximoose wrote: »
    ....Can you go somewhere else? :pac:

Jez, it's not just the United thread so :rolleyes:

I reckon it'll be Madrid for about £55m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd take him at Chelsea to replace Cole and for about 5 Million, wont ever, ever happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I don't think there's much of a reasonable basis to suggest he'd be a big improvement on the likes of Ribery/Robben, Di Maria, Hazard, or Sanchez/Pedro/Villa, especially given the possibility that he might not adapt to playing in new leagues, on teams where he is (potentially) just another player as opposed to being the star. Obviously it's possible that he would be fantastic, but I don't think the chance of that is worth the massive outlay that would be required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Obviously it helps to sell papers, etc., but the recent agenda in the media to see Bale move elsewhere is beginning to grate on me. I (with admitted bias) think that he would be much better served staying at Spurs and becoming an icon in his own right. The grass isn't always greener elsewhere - Just ask Mr Modric. With Bale in their side, it's not wholly inconceivable that Tottenham could become title challengers over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is this the same Gareth Bale that plays for spurs?

Very good player yes, but that's all really, nowhere near messI or Ronaldo Status, should be worth around 25 million, though being British could be double that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah even the thread title seems like media hype with the 'next move' in it. Bale is nearly six years at Tottenham and while he is still only 23 its only his second club. Its not like he has been transferring a lot.

There has been no talk from him suggesting he wants a move. He seems quite happy at Tottenham and I think AVB will look to build a team around him now. I do think Tottenham could become title challengers in a year or two if they continue to buy right. They sorted their goalkeeping out, look very decent at the back and the midfield isn't half bad either. I think if they can bring in somebody better than Lennon for right midfield and a world class striker they will be serious contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah even the thread title seems like media hype with the 'next move' in it. Bale is nearly six years at Tottenham and while he is still only 23 its only his second club. Its not like he has been transferring a lot.

There has been no talk from him suggesting he wants a move. He seems quite happy at Tottenham and I think AVB will look to build a team around him now. I do think Tottenham could become title challengers in a year or two if they continue to buy right. They sorted their goalkeeping out, look very decent at the back and the midfield isn't half bad either. I think if they can bring in somebody better than Lennon for right midfield and a world class striker they will be serious contenders.

Agreed with ya, if AVB can wranlge Spurs an excellent CF they'll be a lot more complete next year.

In fact I think they'll have to bring in somebody, they way Spurs are heading they'll have UCL football next season and having Adebayor and Defoe as your only 2 options just isnt good enough, especially if you've to rely on pushing Dempsey further forward.

AVB will strengthen the squad alright IMO.

The thing is though that Bale could earn potentially double what he is on now if he makes a move.

I agree though that from a footballing perspective Bale could give Spurs another year if they qualify for the Champions League this season. If they invest in the right areas and their signings come off and keep key players injury free then they could be dark horses.

But make no mistake, the money and prestige that Madrid or others can offer is very likely to tempt him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

The thing is though that Bale could earn potentially double what he is on now if he makes a move.

I agree though that from a footballing perspective Bale could give Spurs another year if they qualify for the Champions League this season. If they invest in the right areas and their signings come off and keep key players injury free then they could be dark horses.

But make no mistake, the money and prestige that Madrid or others can offer is very likely to tempt him

The thing is its not going to be bale who decides if he 'gives' spurs another year. He has already agreed to give spurs 4 more by signing his contract. It will be levy who makes this decision. He knows what an asset he has and he knows how to wrangle every last penny out of them as weve seen (carrick, keane, berbatov, modric).

To my mind theres no way in hell move this summer because teams will baulk at the 65-70 million levy will ask for. Then it comes down to how spurs are progressing over the next 18 months i think will affect what he does next

MrKingsley wrote: »
    The thing is its not going to be bale who decides if he 'gives' spurs another year. He has already agreed to give spurs 4 more by signing his contract. It will be levy who makes this decision. He knows what an asset he has and he knows how to wrangle every last penny out of them as weve seen (carrick, keane, berbatov, modric).

To my mind theres no way in hell move this summer because teams will baulk at the 65-70 million levy will ask for. Then it comes down to how spurs are progressing over the next 18 months i think will affect what he does next

If a player wants a move enough they usually manage to push it through eventually. Nobody wants a player on their books who doesn't want to be there.

Then it comes to talking about a fee. Spurs will want to wrangle every penny, but within reason. I imagine if he is to go and he is pushing for a move it will be more around the £40m - £50m mark.

Madrid have the capability to pay that if they want him bad enough. So do City or Chelsea. They might even go higher if needs be.

Basically it comes down to how badly each party wants it. If Bale wants to make it happen and the big spending clubs are willing to pay a large-enough fee it will probably happen.

The question is does Bale want to leave and does he want to leave at this point? Because history shows that Madrid, City and Chelsea rarely baulk at transfer fees if they want the player

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

I think Levy has changed tack somewhat and that the days of him selling Spurs best players to rivals may be gone. He could of sold Modric to Chelsea for 40 million but instead resisted only to sell him to Madrid for less. If you look at the players he sold, he came out on the right side of the Berbatov deal value-wise while Carrick, although he's been good for Utd, was easily replaceable.

Bale is a totally different kettle of fish and the only way I can see him leaving Tottenham in next few years is if the player, himself, forces the issue or he's sold abroad for ridiculous money. Can't see either happening at present.

It must be remembered that Bale didn't have the greatest of starts to his Spurs career and the fact that they had faith in him and persisted in helping him develop into a top player has gained them some loyalty from him IMO.

I'm a United fan btw and would love us to sign him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

jimjamcos wrote: »

Bale is a totally different kettle of fish and the only way I can see him leaving Tottenham in next few years is if the player, himself, forces the issue or he's sold abroad for ridiculous money. Can't see either happening at present.

Yeah I'm the same, he seems pretty quite with the press considering all the attention he got last season as well.

Dreaming he lets his contract run down and we pick him up like Van Persie.

Hopefully he is afraid to move to Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Lennon has probably been the best player for Spurs this season after Bale and the most consistent. Always been a very underrated player for some reason... Very few right wingers in the premiership I would have over him. Where Spurs struggle is at Striker, playmaker and full back. Still 4 players away from being title challengers ... 4 top class players who Spurs can't currently afford unless they pick them up cheap like with Holtby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

If a player wants a move enough they usually manage to push it through eventually. Nobody wants a player on their books who doesn't want to be there.

Then it comes to talking about a fee. Spurs will want to wrangle every penny, but within reason. I imagine if he is to go and he is pushing for a move it will be more around the £40m - £50m mark.

Madrid have the capability to pay that if they want him bad enough. So do City or Chelsea. They might even go higher if needs be.

Basically it comes down to how badly each party wants it. If Bale wants to make it happen and the big spending clubs are willing to pay a large-enough fee it will probably happen.

The question is does Bale want to leave and does he want to leave at this point? Because history shows that Madrid, City and Chelsea rarely baulk at transfer fees if they want the player

I see bale as someone who enjoys playing for spurs and AVB as someone who has told him that the team that may challenge for a title in the next 2/3 years could be built around him.

As a spurs fan I think if we dont make good progress in the next 18/24 months(ie 12/15 points plus) then I could see him trying to push a deal through.

But this is Daniel 'Short arms and Deep Pockets' Levy were talking about. I wouldnt dare say that Bale is worth 65-70 million but that is what he is going to ask for.

If bale does try and push a transfer through then the least I could see him being sold for is 50 million plus mega add-ons. No way man U or City are going to pay that and this is the very reason Levy signs players to these long term contracts.

I dont think bale will be a spurs player in 2015 but for next season there is no way that he will be going regardless of who comes in and what wages they pay. Remember Levy has made him the highest paid Spurs player(by some way) so I think that will prevent him somewhat looking for a move for money. Now titles is a different story

Advertisement