Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Thread Split] Exchanging pre-Euro coins?

Options
  • 17-02-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hope it's OK to bring up an old thread.

I've found about I£50 in small change from my dad's hoardings and would like to convert it to Euros when I visit Dublin. I checked and most are not really valuable, lots of 1p/2p which will make it really expensive to post even if someone buys them. (Don't mind lugging it around as I have a 60kg baggage allowance.)

When the Central Bank site says that you can exchange low amounts in person, does this actually mean you can walk in with the coins and your ID, and they will give you euros in cash straight away?

I ask because a while ago I tried exchanging Deutsche Marks at the German central bank, and they will only pay to a bank account or cheque. My bank decided that the fee they charged to receive the euros was equal to the amount my DM were worth, leaving me with €0.00. No point repeating this exercise in Ireland.

Comments

Advertisement