Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo has lost the flab...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Only idiots called him 'fat Ronaldo' to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What should we call him now??? Eh, Ronaldo :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

What should we call him now?

Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Nice to see him back in shape. Was a shame to see him so big in the charity match in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I find it more strange that he turned out to have so much hair. I was sure he shaved because he was going bald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I suggest we call him The Ronaldo

The other one is The Hairdresser's Ronaldo

And most confusing, for me, is the arrival of Rolando :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I find it more strange that he turned out to have so much hair. I was sure he shaved because he was going bald.

I just thought, because he's a Brazilian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Could we not just call him Ronaldo and the other Ronaldo, Cristiano Ronaldo?

mitosis wrote: »
    I just thought, because he's a Brazilian.

Niiiiiiiice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

darragh16 wrote: »
    Could we not just call him Ronaldo and the other Ronaldo, Cristiano Ronaldo?
    el fenemo was unbelievable in his prime..bit sad calling him fat ronaldo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Radolno or Romeyda.

PES fans know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Only idiots called him 'fat Ronaldo' to begin with.

That is an indirect insult. Post reported, Sir.

We should call him Ronaldo.

Cristiano Ronaldo can be called The Superior Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Fantastic player. One of my all time favourite players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Let's just call him Fr Jack Hackett!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

We should call him Ronaldo.

Cristiano Ronaldo can be called The Superior Ronaldo.

bahahahaJerryLewis.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Are you for real!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I don't want to make it into a Cristiano vs Brazilian Ronaldo debate, but even at his best the Brazilian version wasn't as good as Cristiano is now. A hell of a lot more likeable though I agree. He was the original worldwide superstar as football exploded into all forms of media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

and this is back-seat modding, if serious, Sir.
    Policy on Back-Seat Modding
    If you believe a post is in breach of the charter then you should report it, and move on. If you engage the poster on his/her breach of the charter you risk infraction for back-seat modding.

Examples of back-seat modding include:
    • Calling someone a troll
    • Telling a poster not to post in a thread, or they should post elsewhere
    • Telling a poster you have reported their post (effectively accusing them of a breach of the charter)
    • Commenting on a breach of charter
    • Informing a user that you have/will be putting them on your ignore list. Advising others to do the same.

This list is not exhaustive, and mod discretion may be applied in cases where the intent is judged to be helpful (for example, telling another user they should use spoiler tags for score updates, and showing them how to do so).

The rule of thumb should always be to leave moderation to the mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What should we call him now?

The Greatest centre forward that ever played the game!

• Advertisement

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    and this is back-seat modding, if serious, Sir.

Aren't you back seat modding too?

and me now?

Modception

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The Artist Formerly Known as Fat Ronadlo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I don't want to make it into a Cristiano vs Brazilian Ronaldo debate, but even at his best the Brazilian version wasn't as good as Cristiano is now. A hell of a lot more likeable though I agree. He was the original worldwide superstar as football exploded into all forms of media

Ah but he was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

i always called him the 'real' ronaldo but that was before cr became so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Great to see, he was lethal especially in a brazil jersey.

I read somewhere that cristiano ronaldo will have his gathers name on the back of his jersey next season, is there any truth in that?

kfallon wrote: »
    The Greatest centre forward that ever played the game!

Eric Cantona??? :confused:

Sorry buddy, that name is already taken!

Hulk Hands wrote: »

Big Ronnie was brilliant between about 95 to 98, but he was very inconsistent after he suffered that breakdown at the 98 World Cup. Always injured or not performing to potential; probably couldn't handle the pressure.

CR7 is much more skillful and usually always performs on the big stage. Look at how many goals he's scored year after year in the English & Spainish leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Ronaldo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cantona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You're right.
    His international and champions league performances confirm this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Big Ronnie was brilliant between about 95 to 98, but he was very inconsistent after he suffered that breakdown at the 98 World Cup. Always injured or not performing to potential; probably couldn't handle the pressure.

CR7 is much more skillful and usually always performs on the big stage. Look at how many goals he's scored year after year in the English & Spainish leagues.

Fat Ronaldo...CR7...what the f*ck is it with you and stupid names?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Watch the aggression Turtyturd.

Back on topic everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Seaneh wrote: »
    bahahahaJerryLewis.jpg

He still looks pretty chubby there :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Such cringe.

Both Ronaldo in their primes were/are super players.

Lets enjoy greatness, but I guess some just cant give credit to certain players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

With the weight loss he could probably still be an average premiership striker - even better if he hits a bit of form!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Such cringe.

Both Ronaldo in their primes were/are super players.

Lets enjoy greatness, but I guess some just cant give credit to certain players.

I said a similar thing in one of the many C. Ronaldo Vs Messi threads, they are both phenomanal players, and we are lucky to have them play in our time (I'm lucky enough to have had one of them play for the team I follow and watch him live in the flesh), so just enjoy them both. Brizilian Ronaldo was also phenomanal, I wish he lasted longer at his peak. There are players that could walk into any team in world football.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo during his spell at Barcelona was absolutely frightening. The pace and power he showed was unreal. Here's his goals from that memorable season. His hat trick against Valencia was fantastic, the last one bursting thru two defenders before slotting it past Zubizaretta:

My favourite player of all time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

He lost that much weight in 8 weeks (judging by the size of him on December 20th).

Holy crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

[-0-] wrote: »
    He lost that much weight in 8 weeks (judging by the size of him on December 20th).

Holy crap!

Looks like they are wrong, it's a transformation from September to now where he lost 17 kg. Impressive!

http://www.101greatgoals.com/wp-content/gallery/gimages/ronaldo-losing-weight.jpg

Ronaldo during his spell at Barcelona was absolutely frightening. The pace and power he showed was unreal. Here's his goals from that memorable season. His hat trick against Valencia was fantastic, the last one bursting thru two defenders before slotting it past Zubizaretta:

Totally agree Keith. Like I said in my earlier post, Big Ronnie was brilliant from about 95 to 98, but was very inconsistent thereafter.

What happened to him @ the 98 World Cup final? Did he have a breakdown from all the pressure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Totally agree Keith. Like I said in my earlier post, Big Ronnie was brilliant from about 95 to 98, but was very inconsistent thereafter.

What happened to him @ the 98 World Cup final? Did he have a breakdown from all the pressure?

Ya after 98 he was very inconsistent, 10 goals across 2 WC Finals including winning the 2002 WC and over 190 Club goals for Barca, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Real Madrid, and Corinthians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

My favourite player of all time! :)

I don't think I've seen a player since who can literally run through defences like he could. He just put the head down on a number of occasions and powered on. The other Ronaldo does it, as does Messi, but they never really have that raging bull look about them. I can't imagine what it must ave felt like to see him running at you.

As good and all as Cristiano and Messi are, if I could choose to be any player from my lifetime, it would be Ronaldo. He had everything. How many other players have 5-15 minute long videos dedicated to different attributes of their game?

Headers
    Penalties
    Left-footed shots
    Dribbles
    More dribbling
    Passes
    And, my personal favourite, nutmegs.

There was nothing that he couldn't do, except win the Champions League :pac:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya after 98 he was very inconsistent, 10 goals across 2 WC Finals including winning the 2002 WC and over 190 Club goals for Barca, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Real Madrid, and Corinthians.

Was just about to point out that the end of his Inter career was destroyed by injury. But then he went to Madrid and scored 83 goals in 129 games. Post-injury. 9 in 20 for AC Milan followed by 29 in 52 for Corinthians. Plus won the World Cup in 2002 ending up as top scorer.
    Massively inconsistent.

:confused:

One thing Ronaldo never was in his career, inconsistent! Always scored goals no matter who he played for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I wrote about it before if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

It's impossible to compare players from different generations, and just leads to idiotic arguments, insults and smugness. To borrow and adapt a David Brent saying; "both good players".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Great wee mini-doc on him here

"I never claimed to be better than anyone. I just wanted to be good"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Im sorry but inconsistent is never a word you could use to describe Ronaldo.

His goals to game ratio has always been phenomenal

pun intended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I found it funny that Ronaldo looks happier in his "before" pictures. Usually when they do those before/afters the heavy version looks miserable and the after is beaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wouldn't agree but he certainly deserves to be in the conversation.

My favorite striker of all time, and probably 2nd on my all time favorite list

• Advertisement
Advertisement