Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe to travel to london alone?

• 17-02-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭

I am 22 female and really want to see london but can't get anyone to go with me! Is it safe to go alone? Won't be going out or anything just need a break want to see the sights and do a bit of shopping but should I be worried about doing it alone? Any tips/advice would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

You'll be fine, just act the same as you would going into Town by yourself, avoid the dodgy areas, if you're just going shopping then it's be fairly easy to avoid these areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Wouldn't worry in the slightest. I've lived here for nearly three years and never felt unsafe anywhere. There are some dodgy areas but there is no reason whatsoever why a tourist would be anywhere near them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭jessiblah

I've been worried about the same thing too! I'm 18 and I wanted to move there for the summer for an internship (sadly I didn't get it this time around), to do some training or get a job. I was worried my apartment would be broken into, but it'd be unlikely! I would imagine you'll be grand. Especially if you stay in a good hotel! :) Good luck (I'm so jealous, haha).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I've been over to London a few times on my own and never had any problems. Just don't go off the beaten track and you'll be fine. Its no different than going to Dublin (except its bigger) if you didn't know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Take exactly the same precautions as you would in Dublin.
    London isn't a particularly dangerous city. They being said, it's not particularly safe either, but pretty much exactly the same level of risk as a large Irish urban area.

Only word if warning would be to know where you're going and make sure you've maps on your phone. It's a huge and rather complex urban area that's easy enough to get lost in !

You can download offline maps of London on Android, iPhone etc

Plan your tube / bus routes before you leave. You don't want to be fumbling around maps unnecessarily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement