Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnected meter

Options
  • 17-02-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

I called electric networks to disconnect the meter in a house that I'm gutting as there was a lot of exposed wiring in the house as even with the fuses pulled from the fuse box I didn't want to risk an accident.
    The guy removed the meter Friday evening and took it away, now I've been told that that was probably a costly mistake on my behalf as they will charge 1800 to put a meter back in.
    Can someone confirm whether that's true or not.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Probably not a great move it'll be more like €300 than €1800.

It might have been an idea to employ a spark he would have made the place safe for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Thanks,that's not too bad then.
    Yeah,I moved too fast on the meter box, a brain fart moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

€1800 if it was a totally new connection, or if disconnected for 2 years it counts as a new connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

dont think it was a great idea to get the meter removed
    when you apply for a connection now you will not have a mprn number so you will possibly have to apply for a new connection
    esbn may then have the opportunity to upgrade the existing supply service as it may not be up to standard
    they then can quote you for a new supply(page 5)€1,816

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/commercial-downloads/ESB-Networks-Statement-of-charges-2013.pdf

again its all speculation
    esbn are the only ones who can give you an answer
    contact them and post an update if possible(it will help others)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I'm meeting with my electrician Wednesday to see about getting at least one working socket back into the house, and will be contacting
    esbn then to see what can be done.
    Act in haste-repent at leisure seems to cover my situation quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

with the meter out, you wont get reconnected untill the house is certified. The cost of your haste could be paid more in time than cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Ya TPM is right.really should have called a sparks first day.

Advertisement