Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permisson 2-storey extension

Options
  • 17-02-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭

For a 3 bed semi, how likely are you to be granted it?

If your next door neighbour objects are you likely to be screwed in terms of getting it?

Anyone successfully gone through the process?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Have you spoken to an architect yet? The best thing to do is gone onto Dublin city council website if you live in Dublin and do a search in the planning section to see if someone already applied for a house and did they get it.

My parents applied for planning permission for 2 houses on a site with an excisting semi-detached house. Every person on the road objected (20 houses). But DCC and an bord planala were able to see through the crap like my wife has rickets and needs the sun light so they mustn't be allowed to build on the site was one objection.

But in the end they got a serious **** you house with like 5 bedrooms and like 4 bathrooms compared to 2 small houses. But another site the got no objections but in the area every scrap of land has a house on it.

But ddc see through the bs objections. Just start small with origanal plan and make the house gradually bigger. To see how big you get with the house

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I know someone, put in application for 2 bedrooms, back garden, 2 storey, about 250 sq ft, it was refused, on the basis, there would be insufficient parking for tenants, or other persons.

They took it he would be a landlord. He's single, had 1 tenant at time of application, rent a room scheme.

He's in a 20 house cul de sac, there’s one extension on corner house, 1 storey, extension size, about 200 sq ft.

HE might have got it, if he had applied for a kitchen extension, downstairs, TV room upstairs. That is my opinion, I don’t think there were any objections to it, house next door is rented out, other neighbour, did not mind.

I don't think its bs, to object if you lose most of the sunlight in the back garden, from a new building.

I think the council, thought he'd get another 2 tenants in, if permission granted.
    House is semi-d, Clonsilla, DN 15.

There is a 2 storey extension 600 yards away, end house, looks bout 300 sq ft.

Look around, area, see what extensions are built within half mile.

I think council looks at plans, windows, e.g. have you got side windows overlooking neighbours gardens, reducing their privacy.

He has no kids, no wife, no need for 2 new bedrooms. It is a 4-bed house right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As your name is Kenny, it is likely to be refused. :)

Honestly, we have no idea whether it will be granted or not. Random strangers on the internet aren't all-knowing.

Planning permission is down to whether the project, on it's merits, complies with the development plan and the planning acts. Important points will be how close it is to your neighbours (in particular windows), how much garden/yard space you are left with and the aesthetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You may not even need planning permission. You can build a pretty large extension without planning in Dublin. It depends on your local council rules.

A neighbour objecting doesn't actually mean something will be stopped. It can slow things and that is normally all it does.

The best way is to call into the neighbour and find out waht would bother them and don't do it. Talk to the local planner too. That is before you talk to an architect.

Warning on architects, many charge by sq metre which is riddiculious because extending a line is not extra work. A good engineer is cheaper and can be much more practicle. Often an engineer is hired anyway. Unless you want something special no need to pay the premium for an archietect.

Advertisement