Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September Garden.

• 17-02-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I need a little bit of advice. I am having a family event at my house on 10th of September this year. If weather permits I would like to take it outdoors to the garden. I know the weather might scupper that plan, but nevertheless I would like to have the garden looking well.
    Now I am a bit of a "journey man" Gardener, and while I do ok with the summer bedding I expect that would be getting a little tired at that stage. I would like a nice bit of colour around the place. Whether that be in pots and containers or beds doesn't matter.
    The garden is facing south, and it is an average size city garden(semi detached house).
    Could anyone give me a few pointers as to what plants would likely to be doing well in September.
    Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

johnayo wrote: »
    Hi guys, I need a little bit of advice. I am having a family event at my house on 10th of September this year. If weather permits I would like to take it outdoors to the garden. I know the weather might scupper that plan, but nevertheless I would like to have the garden looking well.
    Now I am a bit of a "journey man" Gardener, and while I do ok with the summer bedding I expect that would be getting a little tired at that stage. I would like a nice bit of colour around the place. Whether that be in pots and containers or beds doesn't matter.
    The garden is facing south, and it is an average size city garden(semi detached house).
    Could anyone give me a few pointers as to what plants would likely to be doing well in September.
    Thanks a lot.
    Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭The Gardener

I've found that Bedding Dahlias, Begonia (small flowered), Antirrhinums (Snapdragon) and Calendula all last well till first frost which hopefully won't be till the end of September and are also very easy to grow. What about growing these in your flower beds, removing dead flower heads throughout the Summer to encourage more flowers, and closer to your family occasion buy something for your containers from your local garden centre (who'll always have something in flower). Plant your bedding around the middle of June so your plants should be at their best during late August/September.
    There are shrubs and perennials that will give you colour in September, but I reckon you'd be better off using bedding plants to provide the colour you're looking for.

Tks for that. Something to think about now, sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

johnayo wrote: »
    Thanks a lot.
    For beds
    Verbena
    Asters
    Rudbeckia
    Scabious
    Geraniums
    Monkshood
    For Pots
    Pelrgoniums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

What do you have there already re borders, beds etc...? Trees, shrubs?

Or do you just want to add to whats there already re seasonal colour?

Depending on the space you have,theres a whole heap of things you could add...

Plus the above mentioned, try

Schizosyylis coccinea
    Liriope muscari
    Echinacea purpurea
    Sedum spectabile
    Galtonia
    Nerine

Anenome japonica esp. if shadier areas

Verbena bonariensis is one of my all time favourite plants, thats a must have, has flowered in gardens I have it right up til first frosts. :)

Also think about grasses...

• Advertisement

muckyhands wrote: »
    What do you have there already re borders, beds etc...? Trees, shrubs?

Or do you just want to add to whats there already re seasonal colour?

Depending on the space you have,theres a whole heap of things you could add...

Plus the above mentioned, try

Schizosyylis coccinea
    Liriope muscari
    Echinacea purpurea
    Sedum spectabile
    Galtonia
    Nerine

Anenome japonica esp. if shadier areas

Verbena bonariensis is one of my all time favourite plants, thats a must have, has flowered in gardens I have it right up til first frosts. :)

Also think about grasses...

Not a lot going on in the garden at the moment. In the summer I usually get a lot of summer bedding and put it in the beds. Plenty of containers with pelargoniums and fuchsia also. I have a tired looking rockery and a small pond. A fence on one side and the dreaded leylandii on two other sides. The rest is just grass. Thanks for the suggestions, the ornamental grasses sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Hydrangeas are a great bet for late summer/ early autumn as are Agapanthus.

Bixy wrote: »
    Hydrangeas are a great bet for late summer/ early autumn as are Agapanthus.
    I like the idea of Hydrangeas. If I were to plant this spring, would they flower in their first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Hi Johnayo, I would think so, I bought some (about 2ft high) from Mount Venus Nursery last summer as a housewarming present and at that stage they had flowers on them. They also had a great supply of agapanthus
    Good luck!

Advertisement