Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog sedative

• 18-02-2013 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hey all, I have a 2 yr old collie bitch and my predicament is as follows,
    She is a lovely gentle dog, great with people and me and never growls at me or snaps or anything like that until........u go near her ears. Now being a longish haired collie her hair is getting a bit matted around her ears and once she senses u going near her ears with the scissors to trim it off she bears her teeth and just generally doesnt like it. I dont want to really physically restrain her with help as thats just crual and might frighten her badly. The matting will end up annoying her and she dont look nice with it :o
    Question is can i get a sedative to put through her food or something like that as shes not keen on the vets either just to calm her down till i can trim her ears !
    Any help greatfully recieved :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Have you tried a muzzle?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

For grooming issues, sedation is a really risky, indeed unethical route to take. The dog needs to be fully anaesthetised in order to do a job like this both quickly and ethically.
    It's not ideal, certainly not in the long term, though it may be a step you can rake now to clear her ears, so that you don't have to attempt to de-mat them. Once they're done, then you can work really slowly and gradually on a program of slowly teaching her to accept, even enjoy, her ears being groomed, without the added pressure of trying to de-mat them too.
    Getting her knocked out now will also give the vet a perfect opportunity to make sure there's no medical reason for her not wanting you to touch her ears. She's doing what she's doing for a reason: either her ears are sore and it hurts when they're touched, or somebody in the past has hurt her whilst trying to groom her or put ear drops in, or some other process by which she has learned not to like the contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

A vet made a balls trying to muzzle her before, that kinda enlisted her fear of vets and muzzles, im sure it must be beginning to hurt her and i would like to keep her happy :-(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

My collie is exactly the same and sometimes he will let me groom his ears and others he won't. I have a soft net style muzzle that I use if I have to, but I find that if i distract him he's not too bad - I always make sure that I reward him with a treat afterwards as well

Advertisement