Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soup for 230 people (about 50 litres)... quantities?

Options
  • 18-02-2013 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    Providing veg soup for about 230 people in total (over 2 days). 200ml portions per head as there'll be plenty of bread etc. (I just have to cover the soup)

So about 50 litres, having some spare.

Going to do it in 2 lots, cooking 25 litres at a time (I have the equipment, no problem)

My only concern is ingredient quantities... maybe ye can help?

I plan to include:
    Potato
    Carrot
    Leek
    Celery
    Onion
    Small qty of peas (or leave out?)
    Parsnip
    Tinned tomatos
    Veg stock

I am happy to add more if its deemed a good idea/will make tastier

I'm baffled as to the quantity of the above ingredients I should buy though... can anyone shed some light for me?

I'll add some cream on the day when re-heating to serve

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 breen_og

I would judge the quantities by volume. Id find it difficult to give a recipe by weight for that quantity. I take it your pot will be about 25-30l seeing as you are doing 2 batches. If you look to fill the pot approx 3/4 with veg leaving the remaining for stock. Hope that helps. Also not a fan of peas in veg soup but every ones different. I do like celeriac in my veg soup though. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Folks,
    Providing veg soup for about 230 people in total (over 2 days). 200ml portions per head as there'll be plenty of bread etc. (I just have to cover the soup)

Going to do it in 2 lots, cooking 25 litres at a time (I have the equipment, no problem)

I plan to include:
    Potato
    Carrot
    Leek
    Celery
    Onion
    Parsnip
    Tinned tomatos
    Veg stock

I'm baffled as to the quantity of the above ingredients I should buy though... can anyone shed some light for me?

Many thanks

Very hard for me to give quantities as when i make soup i just throw everything in a pot...............would steer well clear of the pea's and also the tinned tomatoes believe me it wont look nice.....you can add some turnips, but not to much as they are very sweet and unless the people are vegetarians ....use chicken stock or boullion, way much nicer taste........if i had to break it down for you .....it would be something like 3 part potato 2 part leek and 1 part carrot, parsnip, celery and onion....oh and a little bit of turnip :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

200ml is quite small. I would pour 200ml in the bowl you plan to use and look at it. 200ml in a wide bowl will cool quickly and look stingy.

You can look on the likes of tesco.ie for estimated sizes, portions quoted on packs tend to be on the smaller side.

This knorr is 285ml
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254880674

Many soups are in 400g cans and list a serving as a half can, but that is very small.

The dry packet soups list 250ml as a serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,488 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

rubadub wrote: »
    200ml is quite small. I would pour 200ml in the bowl you plan to use and look at it. 200ml in a wide bowl will cool quickly and look stingy.

+1

Take those cup-a-soup sachets. They tend to say to pour 190ml of boiling water on to the contents of the sachet

I actually measured that once and it filled the very smallest mug we had to about three quarters full.

If you think nearly all 230 people will be taking the soup (and some might have seconds), I'd go for 3 portions per liter, so closer to 80l (left overs can be frozen, no waste here :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Folks,

I plan to include:
    Potato
    Carrot
    Leek
    Celery
    Onion
    Parsnip
    Tinned tomatos
    Veg stock

Many thanks

i would leave out the tomatoes tbh
    sage works very well in a mixed veg soup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Not sure if this is any help but this makes 70 portions for children, so x4??

Olive oil
    4lb Potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1lb onions, finely chopped
    3lb leeks washed and finely chopped
    2lb celery, finely chopped
    2lb carrots, peeled and finely chopped
    1lb Parnips, peeled and finely chopped,
    1lb turnip, peeled and finely chopped
    1-2lb butternut, peel and cubed
    6-10 garlic cloved finely chopped,
    5 bay leaves,
    black pepper to taste
    17 lts homemade chicken stock
    Fresh herbs
    1 pint of fresh cream (Optional)

Warm the large pot over a medimum head. Add the olive oil, onions, celery and carrots. Stir until the onions are translucent and aromatic - don't let them brown. Add the garlic and stir for one more minute, until the garlic smell begins to mellow.

Add the chicken stock, bay leaves and any slow-cooking vegetables. Bring the pot up to a simmer. Depending on your stove, this may take as much as an hour. If the pot will fit over two of your cookers burners, that will help speed the process.

Time the pot once it comes to a simmer, allow 45 minutes to a hour of simmering time. When all of the fresh vegetables are tender, add pepper, as well as any fresh herbs.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes and blend and add cream (if using) and warm.

The cream really dose make the soup lush!!! We often add extra veg (Butternut, potato, parnip) to make a thicker soup

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Advertisement