Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business Name already used in states

Options
  • 18-02-2013 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I've been looking at possibility of starting a small business in a fairly niche industry I'm passionate in, and although the entire idea is still in it's infancy I have thought of an excellent business name.

However, it's currently in use by a biggish american development company.

Now the US company is in a completely different industry (not even remotely similar) and they're not registered with the CRO, Patents/Trademarks office, have no .ie registers and afaik don't have an Irish or UK office.

My business would also be totally restricted to Ireland and it's also a service which wouldn't infringe on their business in any way.

Should I be worried that by going with this name I risk an issue in the future?

Cheers in advance,

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi ,

It may seem a strange question. Are you planning to set up a Facebook Page using the name ?

If so check to see if they have already taken the name.

Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Worked with a company once which setup with a specific name, some years later an American Company registered a trademark in this name in Ireland and years later successfully forced Irish company to cease trading under this name.

legally there is nothing to stop you but you may have to change the Name further down the line.

Advertisement