Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router crashing a lot these days

• 18-02-2013 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Oh knowledgable denizens of the BB forum, I come seeking some pointers.
    I've got a Buffalo NFiniti router (Model WZR-HP-G300N) running Firmware Version :DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US (08/19/10) std - build 14998 (cut'n'paste from the status screen :))

I use it with my UPC modem (Thompson), all the traffic on the modem is forwarded onto the buffalo (which does all the DHCP / NAT for my network)

Lately, it's been crashing / freezing quite a lot - every few days, whereas before it might have been once a month or less often. Could it be heat issues (it's about 2 years old, and has pretty much been plugged in continuously for that time, barring a few weeks in the summer or winter when we're on holidays)? On an average day, there could be 9-10 clients using it (some wired, some wireless) and there could be as many as 15 if I'm doing some work from home and the kids are on the playstation or watching something over the network on the blu-ray player. Might I be better off upgrading the firmware if the one that's on it isn't up to the job?

Any recommendations as to a brand to use that won't crash so often (or even just one with an actual power switch so that I don't have to perform contortions every few days to reach behind the tv, unplug the power cable and plug it in again!).

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you sure its the router crashing and not the modem(UPC are having lots of problems)?

Have you checked for a DD WRT update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I'm pretty sure it's the router - I can't ping it, if I do a ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew I get a 169.xx.xx.xx address, meaning the network card didn't get an IP address. Checking the logs on the modem (after rebooting the router!) indicate no issue with the connection.

I might try a DDWRT update, I just wanted to ask if leaving the router plugged in for pretty much two years could potentially be an issue :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just do na 30-30-30 reset and re-flash ddwrt anyway. This will often bring a router back to life. If the problem still persists replace the router

Advertisement