Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental property lease break

Options
  • 18-02-2013 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

About a week ago I signed a 6 month lease for an apartment. The space itself is fantastic however there are two major issues.

Firstly there is a large silver unit connected to the pub next door, this creates a low hum noise that reverberates throughout the entire flat and particularly the bedrooms making it difficult to sleep. When the fan fires up, it's like a bomb going off.

Secondly and very worrying indeed was the first Saturday I was in there there was groups of teens hanging around in the back, nothing to do with the pub but they were creating holy war. I have no idea if it was them but someone created a serious amount of noise in the block outside my door. It was all very scary stuff and lying here not able to sleep I have decided I cant stay here. What do you suggest I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

noonan23 wrote: »
    About a week ago I signed a 6 month lease for an apartment. The space itself is fantastic however there are two major issues.

Firstly there is a large silver unit connected to the pub next door, this creates a low hum noise that reverberates throughout the entire flat and particularly the bedrooms making it difficult to sleep. When the fan fires up, it's like a bomb going off.

Secondly and very worrying indeed was the first Saturday I was in there there was groups of teens hanging around in the back, nothing to do with the pub but they were creating holy war. I have no idea if it was them but someone created a serious amount of noise in the block outside my door. It was all very scary stuff and lying here not able to sleep I have decided I cant stay here. What do you suggest I can do?

View places properly in future. If it's that much of a worry to you tell the LL you're not staying and lose the deposit. There are various threads on you can give 28 days notice etc but I have my doubts that this translates into reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Legally you are tied to the 6 month lease and are liable for the rent even if you leave, unless you can find someone else to move in.

Practically give your notice and forfeit your deposit, its highly highly unlikely the LL will chase you for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Reassign the lease. Contact the landlord, inform them that you wish to reassign the lease, you find the new tenants at your own expense and if they are suitable to the landlord then they take over the remainder of the lease. You are also liable for any shortfall that the landlord may incur (ie if the new tenant is paying a lower rental amount than you were).

Advertisement