Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Series 3 Episode 10 - Home [** Spoilers **]

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

lol - dramatics much? Its just a tv show.

Merle is a great character, the longer they keep him in the better as far as Im concerned!

I'm just fed up with its mediocrity with flashes of brilliance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    Couple of bloopers for anyone to spot..the tattoo on darylls back changed from right to left and in the trailer for the next episode the Guvnor has a damaged left eye when he's been wearing a patch on his right....If I could spot them why didn't the producers

Guvoner is looking in a mirror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

One thing that's bothering me about the firefight. When the van full of walkers is crashed through the gates the Woodberry crew pretty much abandon the fight. To me it would make more sense to stay a while longer and try to take out a few of Ricks group while they're busy with the walkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

One thing that's bothering me about the firefight. When the van full of walkers is crashed through the gates the Woodberry crew pretty much abandon the fight. To me it would make more sense to stay a while longer and try to take out a few of Ricks group while they're busy with the walkers.

Reasons for this are potentially threefold:

A. Possibility of a zombie doing some of the dirty work and killing one or two of the group.

2. Waste the group's ammo as they have to get rid of the wandering Zs.

and
    D. Psychological warfare. Tear down the front gate with ease and abandon. Then don't even bother to reap the benefit of your advantage. Our group are gonna be scared of the Guv now, if only because he didn't seem to need to bother. Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

Loved the episode.

Have to agree with the ability to kill a zombie 50 ft away yet when it comes to a firefight they all turn to crap. Only explanation I can think is that zombies don't have guns returning fire . During the fight they were constantly been fired on and having to duck so it would be impossible to get an accurate shot in...

Was shocked too see during Michonnes little dance of death she was running straight towards Herschel to protect him. Definietly getting in with the homies there.

Now the thing that really really drives me crazy is Carols lovely need haircut thats always maintained and yet nobody can give Herschel a trim now and again. His ponytail should have its own storyline at this stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

I can't see Merle being let back into the inner circle. As evidenced with Dave, Tony, Randall, Michonne, Tyreese, Ben and Allen, regardless of whether or not they have ill intent, Rick et al need to be wary of strangers, and when it comes to people who have become part of the gang like Shane who turn nasty, even more so, as shown by Rick nipping the Tomás issue in the bud sooner rather than later. Add to this that unlike the above, Merle is not a stranger, the group _know_ is is dangerous and a rogue factor to rely on for the betterment of the group, not to mention beating and attempting to murder emerging leader Glenn. While I'm happy to see Merle as something of an anti-villain who gets his fair share of screentime, akin to fellow TV-amputee-backstabbing-redneck T-Bag from Prison Break, I can't see him becoming an integral cog in the survivor machine. My prediction is that he will go out saving the life of his little bro either by walker horde or Governor assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

re: shooting accuracy -

Zombies = very slow
    Humans = Semi-Automatic rifles.

Pretty sure we'd all be much better at shooting zombie heads with no incoming fire than trying to pick off humans at 200 feet whilst trying to avoid getting our heads blown off!!

Whilst i see why Rick has descended into madness (clear hallmarks of Post-Traumatic Stress), my problem with it is he seemed to snap out of it after the phone-call episodes. If/when he snaps out of it this time, it will wear very very thin if he slips back into it again. I.e. the writers can run with it for now but as a plot device he needs a catharsis of sorts, where he gets to the other side and stays there.

The Glenn-Maggie thing is outdated by about 30 years. Glenn seemingly repulsed by the idea of the Guv raping his woman, getting all reckless to try "prove his manhood" etc..... none of that really makes much, if any, sense. Even in a pre-apocalyptic time, a bit of emotional support and empathy is the order of the day.

Beth is a tricky character to work out. Definitely over the last few episodes got subtle hints that she is "maturing" - kissing Rick, mentioning wanting babies etc. The problem , as with a lot of american shows, is that there is often a clear conflict visually and mentally for the viewer between the age the character is supposed to be and the actress.

Beth is supposed to be 17. The actress Emily Kinney is nearly 28. And judging by this recent photo an absolute hottie!!

http://www.styleite.com/media/red-carpet-01042012/#14

Weird how it can feel creepy to think she is hot in the show :o

Stranger still when you consider Carl has a crush on Beth, and in reality Emily Kinney is actually old enough to be Chandler Riggs mam (well, at a push) - she is 14 years older than Chandler Riggs.

At the end of the day, i suppose we just have to accept that both Beth and Carl are teens having to grow up fast but i do personally find it doesnt tend to help using actresses far older than the age they are portraying, especially ones closer to 30 portraying 17 year olds!

Other points of note:

Andrea still a mess. Actress and character.

Michonne still a mess but slight redemption with a few solid zombie kills and a gold star for some actual dialogue.

Already worried how they are portraying Tyreese. Great actor in The Wire but already has a Michonne-like facial stare, wide-eyed, the "oh no you didnt" look. Please don't butcher him.

Thank F Daryll is back and i think Merle should be accepted, yeah he's a redneck racist hillbilly but a good asset and at the end of the day he was left on the rooftop by the group, so taking any sort of moralistic high ground for what he did to Glenn would be a bit silly given the situation they are in. Try deal with the Guv then sort it out.

For my money, a very good episode. Almost everything in S3 has been leagues ahead of s1/s2 material (which i enjoyed nonetheless), i dont think anything can top the Lori death episode for drama, emotion and sheer brilliance it will remain one of my favourite pieces of tv for all-time. But, taken as a whole, this episode fits nicely into the picture of s3 - and it's a pretty picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

All points for and against this episode I feel already covered by other posters so wont bother repeating them.

Thought it was a bit ridiculous that Rick was the only person who ran out of ammo though. Coupled with the fact that the Gov had a rifle with what seemed to be unlimited ammo.

Also he has one eye, was firing an AR from the hip with one arm and somehow was hitting the prison from a serious distance!!

I dont see why with such good writing for the show they allow stupid, completely unrealistic bits like that into it.

Showing any of them reloading just once would've kept me happy.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think once they shot Axel, the Governor's men weren't trying to kill everyone. It's a show of power. Rick, Michonne etc broke into Woodbury, used smoke grenades etc... They caught the Governor off guard. They embarrassed him, and made the people of Woodbury begin to doubt him.

Killing Axel (why him? Maybe because he was laughing and made Carol laugh, so shooting him would be taking away something that seemed to be keeping their spirits up), then using the van to bust open the gate and letting a bunch of walkers in (and with the gate open, more walkers were seen entering the prison grounds, plus the noise from the gunfire will bring walkers towards the prison) is all a power play. He's not killing them, he's royally f*cking their sh*t up. They made the prison secure, which meant they were secure and relatively safe. Now they're not. They can't just retaliate now against the Governor because now they have to spend time and resources dealing with all the walkers and trying to secure the prison again. And they used a lot of their ammo shooting back at the Governor's men.

He wasn't trying to kill them. He's trying to destroy them. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd just shoot his enemy. He'll try to make them wish they were dead first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Watched it last night. Actually rubbed my hands together in a "noooooow we're talking" gesture towards the end.
    Highlights for me?
    Definitely Daryl's arrow saving Rick, actually shouted "yaaay!"
    The Walker Van opening up. Eeep :eek:

Am I the only one curious as to the Identity of the person who opened the van up? Looks small enough to be female....possibly Andrea? Either way she needs to shape up or ship out. Gettin reeeeal tired of her shít to be honest.

Also- they ley Michone speak!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Watched it last night. Actually rubbed my hands together in a "noooooow we're talking" gesture towards the end.
    Highlights for me?
    Definitely Daryl's arrow saving Rick, actually shouted "yaaay!"
    The Walker Van opening up. Eeep :eek:

Am I the only one curious as to the Identity of the person who opened the van up? Looks small enough to be female....possibly Andrea? Either way she needs to shape up or ship out. Gettin reeeeal tired of her shít to be honest.

Also- they ley Michone speak!!

Definitely not Andrea. Maybe the woman on the Woodbury Wall Andrea was talking to?

And never mind letting Michonne speak, they let her properly use the f*cking sword. That was pretty brilliant.

Penn wrote: »
    And never mind letting Michonne speak, they let her properly use the f*cking sword. That was pretty brilliant.

Yeah that was very badass. Genuinely thought Hershel's number was up then, he looked so vulnerable.

I also wonder if they're trying to see how far they can push poor Carol- first with the asshole hubby, then SophiaGate and then having
    Axel's
    body on top of her as a human shield!! Maybe she'll go proper schizoid and start shooting the place up...and I'd be ok with that, I like her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Reasons for this are potentially threefold:

A. Possibility of a zombie doing some of the dirty work and killing one or two of the group.

2. Waste the group's ammo as they have to get rid of the wandering Zs.

and
    D. Psychological warfare. Tear down the front gate with ease and abandon. Then don't even bother to reap the benefit of your advantage. Our group are gonna be scared of the Guv now, if only because he didn't seem to need to bother. Power.
    If that was the case the governor should have let the firefight continue.

I have two issue were the accuracy from both sides.
    1.They took out Axel with a head shot and then couldn't hit the ground in front of them after that. You can argue shooting at people shooting at you would be tougher than zombies, but in that case you change your tactic, they are accurate enough to get head shots in on zombies so they should be good enough to hit the body of a stationary target. Rick wasn't seen initially and had a open shot on one guy and still missed.

2. The ridiculous waste of ammo, with limited resources you cannot burn through clip after clip (even though I don't think any reloading was shown) of ammo, the governor emptied any either clip into the air for little reason (well the obvious reason was to draw nearby zombies but the preceding firefight would have done that already.

The only justification i can give is that the governor is playing with them and wants to inflict some torture before trying to rush the prison.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Penn wrote: »

Definitely not Andrea. Maybe the woman on the Woodbury Wall Andrea was talking to?

Don't think it was her tbh, the impression I got from that scene was that the Governor had already left on his secret mission, so imo it must be some other chick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Don't think it was her tbh, the impression I got from that scene was that the Governor had already left on his secret mission, so imo it must be some other chick.

I dunno, she definitely seemed in on the plan, and she arrived later/separately to the Guv and his men, so it makes sense to me. Also, she was definitely given a significant amount of screentime for no other discernible reason thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It can't be her if the preview of next weeks show is anything to go by.
    She says to the Governor that she wants to go see them in the prison and he says if she goes then she can stay there and not come back. If she was the one in the van, then she would hardly want to go visit them when she just released a load of walkers into the prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Dunno how anyone can even fathom the possibility of it being Andrea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm talking about Karen, the woman on the wall in Woodbury who went all
    1018676_o.gif
    when Andrea asked her where Martinez was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Carol taking cover behind
    Axels lifeless form
    was visible in the season 3 part 2 preview as someone pointed out at the time back in this day on this very forum.

#justsaying

RIP Axel you died as you lived a useless sandbag

RIP unnamed governor henchman (lone tower rifleman) your poor marksmanship
    from a elevated fortified position against a bunch of ladies will be with us always.

RIP ghost lori again I think

RIP various numerous walkers and biters we shall never forgot you.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I dunno, she definitely seemed in on the plan, and she arrived later/separately to the Guv and his men, so it makes sense to me. Also, she was definitely given a significant amount of screentime for no other discernible reason thus far.

I would argue a 20 second scene where Andrea asks where Martinez is and gets stonewalled hardly constitutes significant screentime . It smacks of the sort of logic that saw someone on here come to the conclusion that one of the Governors right hand men(big burly black dude) was Tyreese after it was announced he was being introduced purely based on the fact the camera had lingered on him for more then 5 seconds. That being said you could be right who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

A much better episode than the last one no doubt, finally a bit of action & some of the threads starting to come together. I'm glad that Daryl & Merle's exile didn't last too long it seemed a bit farcical. The comic readers probably know how it will all pan out but i'm just glad to see the group & the general in a direct head to head for once. Andrea is obviously being set up to be the one with the big internal tug of war, conscientious choice to make.

Poor old Axle, just as he gets to telling his story 'pew', the first shot is laser pinpoint accuracy & the next 1000 rounds were all over the shop. I couldn't tell if Axle was being a nice guy or was putting the creeps on Carol, anyway he saved her life in the end so I guess we can call him a gentleman even though he had no choice in the matter.

Where was Tyreese & his gang during all the commotion, i guess they are locked out over the other side of the prison, i was half expecting them to rock out and save the day. That other couple of guys that are with Tyreese are sure in for some sort of downfall alright, probably Tyreese himself will end up having to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I wonder.

I wonder was it, in fact, Daryl who shot Axel. Daryl could have a gun hidden in his crossbow, saw Axel sticking the moves on his lady, saw his lady responding (we ALL saw her little sideways glances and smiles) and decided to move Axel to one side.

Luckily for him, the Guv turned up when he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I wonder.

I wonder was it, in fact, Daryl who shot Axel. Daryl could have a gun hidden in his crossbow, saw Axel sticking the moves on his lady, saw his lady responding (we ALL saw her little sideways glances and smiles) and decided to move Axel to one side.

I doubt it.

I wonder.

Not his style, plus he'd have been too far away to see anything.
    Also, the governer's men showed up at EXACTLY the same time as Daryl/Merle.

I wonder.

A gun hidden IN his crossbow??!

Gotta get me one of those! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Daryl could have a gun hidden in his crossbow, saw Axel sticking the moves on his lady, saw his lady responding (we ALL saw her little sideways glances and smiles) and decided to move Axel to one side.

I felt sorry for Carol, she didnt get the ride off Daryl before when she offered to get jiggy with him, and then it looked like she might have a chance of getting the ride off Axel and boom - gone.

She needs the ride.

I felt sorry for Carol, she didnt get the ride off Daryl before when she offered to get jiggy with him, and then it looked like she might have a chance of getting the ride off Axel and boom - gone.

She needs the ride.

There's always Glenn.
    It's not like he'll be getting any off Maggie for a while.

Or Herschel. The poor bloke loses his farm, his family are dropping like flies, he lost a leg, and now lives in a prison with some random Asian guy who's banging his daughter. That man needs a sympathy ride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I'm watching it again because I needed to get my head around it..

I feels sorry for carl his old mans going barney :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

That f*cking Dorky kid with the hat .... jesus can't stand him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

the_monkey wrote: »

That's OK
    I'm just putting in this spoiler to give people angsty moments will I won't I read this potential game changing fake spoiler...

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »

He's vastly better then he was in fairness , not the strongest child actor I've ever seen tho, some of his line deliveries are a bit flat.

The hat does him no favors tho , its a holdover from the comic where Carl was meant to be a few years younger then he's being portrayed in the show and basically clings to that hat like a comfort blanket . Having both aged him up and accelerated his development from hapless meme fodder to pint sized Rambo ahead of the comics schedule they really need to ditch the hat imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Daryl's story of redemption has finally come full circle with two words: "He's Korean."

Yup

733906175.jpg?key=800675&Expires=1361580956&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=xpjnp4GWu5oVNJQ7Z0mfp96GPH0dDr5o1QKKcSLHi3pMbasXZWZC5u4cPECmCit5iXeOpZN6dBloJpfftSl0W93iITDOt-4ai2HcfalVwfg-YojhNhJPzSKXPD9H2Cj5tIRqvD~YOnr9Z-JMygv838Z3XNTBMlTqbN0P13M4Ysg_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Ah the Governor using the old "Unlimited Ammo" eye-patch is he?

Well played sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm not sure how I feel.

The pacing of the 2 episodes after the mid season break just feels all wrong.

And damnit Axel, I liked that I was suspicious as hell about you. I had you pipped for a murderous rapey psycho, that was going to mutilate Carol and Beth. But oh no, ye had to go and get hit with a miracle bullet.

For a second, I thought it was Glenn in the walker van. He fecks off in the Hyundai, in his riot gear, then walker van comes smashing through, and driver, in riot gear, gets out and runs like hell. But it wasn't.

I like that Merle is back. He's a dick. I don't like him. But I like the fact that I don't like him. But he's going to die. Alluded to a backstory of how Daddy Redneck beat (maybe sexually abused) Darryl and Merle? We all know what that means. Munch munch munch.

The Guv was terrorising and provoking them. The group are on that back foot now, but when (not if) they retaliate, the Woodbury commoners will see them as the aggressors again, and Guv needs that. He needs their fear to control them, to keep them inside the walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Best way to get someone stop shooting at you is shoot the fecker! I wouldn't mind but all the rifles had scopes and most of them had cover.

At one point Rick takes aim with the scope...and fires with the crosshairs 1-2 feet off target. :rolleyes:

I suppose you could put it down to more of an adrenaline-filled experience when the targets are shooting back, unlike walkers.

The distant shots of Lori in the dress were nicely creepy, I thought. Probably because they reminded me of Miss Jessel in "The Innocents"...

miss_jessel_the_innocents.jpg?w=500&h=330

The Guv was terrorising and provoking them. The group are on that back foot now, but when (not if) they retaliate, the Woodbury commoners will see them as the aggressors again, and Guv needs that.

Agreed. This view would also seem to be borne out by the Governor's occasional random spraying of bullets in the general direction of the prison. If he can provoke a counter-attack against Woodbury, he gets to fight the battle on ground of his choosing. No doubt he'd prefer Rick's crew to lose people storming Woodbury's defences to having Woodbury people die storming the prison.

In addition, he gets some idea as to the prison group's numbers and abilities. "Counting their guns", a bit like the first attack in "Zulu". In military terminology, that attack would probably be referred to as a "probe".

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

I actually did an air punch when daryl arrived at the end of that episode...........and please let him get it together with carol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Absolutely loved the suddenness of the set piece ending to the episode, you knew it was coming but you were effectively lulled into a sense of security for just the right amount of time.

I had hoped Glenn would arrive and drive the car in a rage towards the Governor but what we got was plenty good.

I think the beat they left off on could have been better, maybe cutting before they killed half the zombies in the immediate area and lowered the stakes for the next episode. Obviously the noise will be bringing many more walkers to the prison but the dream team of Rick, Daryl and Merle will make quick work of what's flooding into the yard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Jikashi wrote: »
    A few people have talked about something similar to this. In the comics, Axel was not a serial killer - Thomas was. His character and another prisoner named Dexter were amalgamated into Tomás in the TV series.

Just reading through this thread now and there are comic book spoilers on the first 2 pages already. Arent they supposed to be covered? Please!!

Advertisement