Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temperature control

Options
  • 18-02-2013 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hey, i'm new to this whole brewing business. I've been using an old fridge fitted with a regular 25W bulb to keep the brew at around 20-25c. It kinda works but sometimes goes too hot or cold.

Does anybody know where I'd be able to get a simple thermostat could turn the bulb on or off at a set temperature? Or does anybody have a better suggestion for temperature control?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

There are a few fairly cheap temperature controllers you can get. The stc-1000 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Aquarium-STC1000-Incubator-Cold-Chain-Temp-/200812763711?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2ec15f9a3f is cheap and control heating and cooling to keep fermenter withing 0.5C of target temp I think. You will need some container to mount the controller with wires,blocks etc. Basically you have mains power coming in to the unit and heating and cooling sockets coming out to connect heating/cooling sources. Another temp controller is the atc-800+ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Local-Digital-Auto-Aquarium-Temperature-Controller-Heater-Cooler-ATC-800-/160969095358?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item257a8178be which does the same thing but is a lot bigger and can keep within 1C of target temp. I use an ATC-800+ which has output sockets for heating(a brewbelt) and cooling (the fridge). These require wiring which has to be checked that its done properly as 220V is being used. Pre made units are for sale too if not comfortable wiring one of these units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Brian2208 wrote: »
    Hey, i'm new to this whole brewing business. I've been using an old fridge fitted with a regular 25W bulb to keep the brew at around 20-25c. It kinda works but sometimes goes too hot or cold.

Does anybody know where I'd be able to get a simple thermostat could turn the bulb on or off at a set temperature? Or does anybody have a better suggestion for temperature control?

I have an alternate suggestion, don't know whether it's better or not.

Submersible aquarium heater + one of those large flexible plastic two handled buckets (take about 42 litres of water.

Put your brew bucket into the other bucket, fill with water and use the submersible heater so it acts like a water jacket.

You can set the temp yourself. It has the potential to be slightly messy is something goes wrong :D But in theory it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

I had a central heating room stat lying around so used that. Very easy to wire up. It will only control the heating though, not the fridge. That STC-1000 looks impressive, thanks mayto :)

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/plumbing-supplies/central_heating_pumps___controls/-specificproducttype-thermostats/Horstmann-HRT3-Room-Thermostat-12389260

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Several people I know, myself included, use STC-1000's in a fridge with a 100w bulb or a small heater for heat.

STC-1000 will control to within 0.1C, but it's not a PID, so the temperature will bounce between two values, so if you had it set at 20C it will in effect bounce the temperature between say 19.5C and 20.5C, which is fine.

ATC-800 is not worth getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

A baby monitor is good for keeping an eye on the temperature. Put it into the brew box with the probe touching the fermenter. You can keep an eye on the temperature from the kitchen (or where ever) without having to look inside the brew box :D

241735.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Brian2208

Thanks, that stc-1000 looks pretty good, I'll probably get one of them.
    Submersible aquarium heater + one of those large flexible plastic two handled buckets (take about 42 litres of water.

Put your brew bucket into the other bucket, fill with water and use the submersible heater so it acts like a water jacket.

You can set the temp yourself. It has the potential to be slightly messy is something goes wrong :D But in theory it should work.

This sounds a bit complicated for me but it's a good idea, might do it for a future brew.

The temperature has been at a steady 20-22 degrees though for the last couple of days with just a 25w bulb, but it would be nice to be able to leave it without checking it every couple of hours! :)

Advertisement