Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vancouver jobs

Options
  • 18-02-2013 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for some insight/info from people maybe in Vancouver at the minute or who have lived there recently about the availability of jobs in the city. My story is I'll be entering Canada in mid-April this year on the IEC 1 year visa and am planning to look for work pretty quickly.

I'm 24 year old male, have a university degree, years of experience in retail, customer service, events etc and currently working in a kitchen. How hard is it to get a retail/kitchen/bar job in Vancouver nowadays? I hear people saying the competition is fierce, there's a lack of jobs etc, but on craigslist there seems to be a huge amount of jobs uploaded each day.

I'll be going with about 2800 dollars total once I get to Vancouver so that's why I'm a bit nervous about finding a job quick...Any help/info is well appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

2800$ you have some balls dude i am going with between 4.5k and 5k$ and i am still ****ting it that wont be enough:D is there no way you can get more mulla? like if you don't get a job for a month that could be as much as the 2k gone. all the best though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    2800$ you have some balls dude i am going with between 4.5k and 5k$ and i am still ****ting it that wont be enough:D is there no way you can get more mulla? like if you don't get a job for a month that could be as much as the 2k gone. all the best though:D

Yeah that's the plan, not really any way of coming up with an extra few quid, unless i start sellin my wares on the street! :D Might push 3000 dollars but I reckon it's enough to get through first 6 weeks if i don't get a job, just anxious to see how hard/easy it is to pick up a job in Van... Hard to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Yeah the Canadian embassy estimates $2,500 for the first 3 months, though I'm not sure if that's basic living costs or did they include initial start-up costs also. So that's about $800 per month, or about €600. I'm looking at about €4,000 saved, minus about 1,000 for flights, fees and annoyances, leaving about $4,000 also.

Anyone else in Van that can advise on the general work situation? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Suarez20

well, 3 of us boys heading over in October for 2 years, same as yourself 24/25 degrees, same experience of retail work etc be interested to know how you get on when you get over regarding finding work quick! Best of luck lad

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KevinFQB1

Thinking about heading over there on my own, not sure where abouts yet tho. Please let me know how you get on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement