Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Origin of Specious Nonsense. Twelve years on. Still going. Answer soon.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Creationists get so severely humiliated. . .that as a result they are too ashamed to show their faces in public. . .and end up dying of hunger rather than venture out to buy food!! Those eeeeeviiiiiiiiil evolutionists have the blood of millions on their hands!1!!!!!11 :eek: :eek: :):D:) :eek: :eek:
    You don't have to be a Creationist to have problems ... merely to be associated with any scientific 'heresy' ... is sufficient to get you into trouble ... even if you are otherwise totally scientifically 'orthodox'.
    ... its medieval history repeating itself ... as farce !!!:eek:

... and there are plenty of Creationists who are only too happy to show their faces in public ... and tell the world of the physical evidence for direct creation:
    https://answersingenesis.org/bios/
    http://creation.com/speaker-biographies
    http://www.icr.org/events/speakers/

... and here is a profile and list of published science papers from one of these Creationists:-
    http://www.icr.org/jeffrey_tomkins/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

J C wrote: »
    You don't have to be a Creationist to have problems ... merely to be associated with any scientific 'heresy' ... is sufficient to get you into trouble ... even if you are otherwise totally scientifically 'orthodox'.
    ... its medieval history repeating itself ... as farce !!!:eek:

Will there be burnings at the stake?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Will there be burnings at the stake?
    No ... but 'burning at the stake' was the punishment meted out to only a tiny minority of 'heretics' even in the middle ages ... heretics were generally dealt with by social shunning and losing their position within churches (where they were church officials). Galileo, for example, only had his right to publish stopped and he was confined under house arrest.
    Quote wikipedia:-
    "The sentence of the Inquisition was delivered on 22 June. It was in three essential parts:

Galileo was found "vehemently suspect of heresy", namely of having held the opinions that the Sun lies motionless at the centre of the universe, that the Earth is not at its centre and moves, and that one may hold and defend an opinion as probable after it has been declared contrary to Holy Scripture. He was required to "abjure, curse and detest" those opinions.[85]
    He was sentenced to formal imprisonment at the pleasure of the Inquisition.[86] On the following day, this was commuted to house arrest, which he remained under for the rest of his life.
    His offending Dialogue was banned; and in an action not announced at the trial, publication of any of his works was forbidden, including any he might write in the future."

... something like what would happen a top scientist who openly declared himself to be a creationist, today (without the house arrest).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

No ... but 'burning at the stake' was the punishment meted out to only a tiny minority of 'heretics' even in the middle ages ... heretics were generally dealt with by social shunning and losing their position within churches (where they were church officials). Galileo, for example, only had his right to publish stopped and he was confined under house arrest.
    "The sentence of the Inquisition was delivered on 22 June. It was in three essential parts:

Galileo was found "vehemently suspect of heresy", namely of having held the opinions that the Sun lies motionless at the centre of the universe, that the Earth is not at its centre and moves, and that one may hold and defend an opinion as probable after it has been declared contrary to Holy Scripture. He was required to "abjure, curse and detest" those opinions.[85]
    He was sentenced to formal imprisonment at the pleasure of the Inquisition.[86] On the following day, this was commuted to house arrest, which he remained under for the rest of his life.
    His offending Dialogue was banned; and in an action not announced at the trial, publication of any of his works was forbidden, including any he might write in the future."

... something like what would happen a top scientist who openly declared himself to be a creationist, today (without the house arrest).

But all credible scientific evidence shows that Galileo was right and creationists are wrong. So comparing them really doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

But all credible scientific evidence shows that Galileo was right and creationists are wrong. So comparing them really doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Sorry now, but what science shows that creationists are wrong?? That's news to me

Evolution and design are not necessarily at odds... There are occult/esoteric writings before Darwin ever touched on the topic of evolution suggesting life came from the ocean onto the land..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

pone2012 wrote: »
    Sorry now, but what science shows that creationists are wrong?? That's news to me
    It wouldn't be news to you if you actually read some science.

MrP

Evolution and design are not necessarily at odds... There are occult/esoteric writings before Darwin ever touched on the topic of evolution suggesting life came from the ocean onto the land..

I said credible science

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I just want to point out the irony of using a four hundred + year old judgement by the Church against a scientist to somehow accuse atheists (or possibly scientists) of being mean to the Church (or those that follow the Church).

Also, no, that wouldn't happen. How do we know it wouldn't happen? Because it doesn't happen and people are quite able to publish all the nonsense they like without being penalised. Their reputation might suffer, but reputations do suffer when someone claims unscientific notions to be science. That is how life works. And yet, people publish plenty of nonsense anyway and even find believers in it, so we're all good. They don't get banned from ever publishing again, as helpful as it would be to the oppression theory.

Just because their rubbish isn't accepted by the academic community as remotely factual doesn't mean that they're being oppressed. It means that their analysis is unconvincing and their data is poorly handled.

MrPudding wrote: »
    It wouldn't be news to you if you actually read some science.

MrP

I probably read more journal articles than a lot of the people on here... It's part of what I do...that's not the topic of discussion

However you didn't answer my question... Typical I think I know but I haven't a clue question dodging response

pone2012

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Well, all of the science that deals with the claims creationists make show them to be wrong. Creationism is a history of wrong.

Creationists have claimed that, among other things:

• Most mutations are harmful (Scientific Creationism p.55-57)
    • No transitional species have been observed (Scientific Creationism p.78-90)
    • There are irreducibly complex biological systems (Darwin's Black Box)
    • No new species have been observed (The vanishing case for evolution)
    • Humans were specially created (Adam in the city)
    • The second law of thermodynamics prohibits evolution (Scientific Creationism p.38-46)
    • That arthropoda (or substitute any other order) appeared suddenly in the fossil record without precursors (The crucible of creation)
    • That the odds of life forming by chance are incredibly small (No Free Lunch)
    For each and every claim made by creationists, science has shown them to be dead wrong. This thread and its predecessor and the two BCP megathreads in the Christianity forum stand as testaments to that fact.

You're right that there's no inherent conflict between design and evolution. However, that message doesn't appear to sink in with creationists. Most, if not all, of them seem to think that it's either evolution without God or God without evolution. Even one of the icons of creationism Henry Morris expressed just such a sentiment in Scientific Creationism. More recently other creationists such as Philip Johnson have repeated the claim (in his book Evolution as Dogma: The Establishment of Naturalism). The other major caveat is that although there isn't necessarily a conflict between design and evolution, none of the evidence that we have collected since the Origin of Species or earlier has suggested or required a design-based explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I probably read more journal articles than a lot of the people on here... It's part of what I do...that's not the topic of discussion

However you didn't answer my question... Typical I think I know but I haven't a clue question dodging response

pone2012
    Oh yes, I'm sure, much like JC is a real scientist. I am a billionaire playboy that dresses up in a bat suit to fight crime in the evening. See how easy it is to say one does or is something?

MrP

How about you link to (or list) your specific arguments that give evidence towards creationism and they can be looked at against the observed and observable evidence?

And yeah, as was pointed out in this thread before, they're not at odds specifically, just the actual arguments advanced so far have been pretty much all disproved (unless there's something very new!). If the Creationists would stop sticking their noses into science they refuse to understand (if they did, they'd stop asking the question/demanding that theirs be considered the answer), there'd be even less issue between the positions.

Also, it doesn't matter how many articles you've read if they're not on the right subject. The likelihood of their being on the right topic is extremely low, since apparently you've never heard any of the scientific reasoning against creationist positions.

I said credible science
    ... You're starting to sound like a medieval inquisitoner ... who is so confident of his own dogmas ... that he dismisses all other ideas as not part of 'credible' dogma ... which just so happens to be the dogma that he adheres to!!:)

MrPudding wrote: »
    Oh yes, I'm sure, much like JC is a real scientist. I am a billionaire playboy that dresses up in a bat suit to fight crime in the evening. See how easy it is to say one does or is something?

MrP
    I think that you may be confusing fiction (batman) ... and fact (science).:)

This confusion between fiction (that pondkind spontaneously developed into mankind via a series of selected mistakes) ... and fact (that mankind was intelligently created) is an understandable occupational hazard ... if you are an evolutionist.;)

... You're starting to sound like a medieval inquisitoner ... who is so confident of his own dogmas ... that he dismisses all other ideas as not part of 'credible' dogma ... which just so happens to be the dogma that he adheres to!!:)

Think of me as your own personal Torquemada.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Well, all of the science that deals with the claims creationists make show them to be wrong. Creationism is a history of wrong.

Creationists have claimed that, among other things:

• Most mutations are harmful (Scientific Creationism p.55-57)
      All mutations are information degrading ... whether this expresses itself in harmful symptoms is dependent on whether it affects a critical process that isn't backed up with an alterative mechanism ... or isn't corrected by the cells auto-correction mechanisms.
    • No transitional species have been observed (Scientific Creationism p.78-90)
      No transitions between Kinds have been observed.
    • There are irreducibly complex biological systems (Darwin's Black Box)
      Quite true ... most biological systems are irreducibly complex i.e. if any part of the system is removed functionality is destroyed.
    • No new species have been observed (The vanishing case for evolution)
      No new kinds have been observed to arise.
    • Humans were specially created (Adam in the city)
      True
    • The second law of thermodynamics prohibits evolution (Scientific Creationism p.38-46)
      True ... to locally reverse the effects of the second law requires an input of both energy and intelligence ... applying energy on its own, just destroys and increases entropy.
    • That arthropoda (or substitute any other order) appeared suddenly in the fossil record without precursors (The crucible of creation)
      The so-called 'Cambrian Explosion' did exactly this.
    • That the odds of life forming by chance are incredibly small (No Free Lunch)
      ... so incredibly small as to be an impossibilty.
    My comments in red above.

Think of me as your own personal Torquemada.
    I'll try not to.:)

torquemada.jpg

My comments in red above.

Text changed back to black for the sake of everyone reading this.

"All mutations are information degrading ... whether this results in harmful results is dependent on whether they affect a critical process that isn't backed up with an alterative mechanism ... or isn't corrected by the cells auto-correction mechanisms."

Well, no. All mutations are not information degrading because "complex specified information" is just a creationist buzzphrase which has been completely refuted. In reality, as I've explained, the vast majority (approx. 97%) of all mutations are neutral. This also refutes the idea that the "information" in human DNA is "tightly specified" as you've previously claimed. Your baseless assertions about auto-correction mechanisms don't really help your argument.
    Further, we know that mutations don't really affect the "information" of the genome because we've analysed our DNA (and other species) and the amount of junk DNA correlates with what we expect from a mutation rate which is high and yet mostly neutral. Our DNA is made up of about 1.5% coding DNA. Another 3% are regulatory sequences. Add in the other functional sequences (ribosomal, transfer etc.) and you get another 0.5%. So that's about 5% of the total genome that actually does something. Then you've got about 10% which is just random nonsense caused by vestigial or nonfunctional enzymes. Then you've got 21% which is parasitic viral copies and a further 13% which are duplicates of the viral copies. Another 8% comes from ERVs (endogenuous retroviruses). When we add all this up we get about 5% functional DNA, 10% structural DNA, 45% known useless DNA and about 40% which is non-functional but whose origin is currently unknown. However, in 2004, a group of researchers deleted 2.3 Mbp of similar sequences from a mouse genome without any effect whatsoever.
    If DNA were really comprised of such "tightly specified" information as you and other creationists claim then we wouldn't expect to see such massive amounts of useless DNA hanging around in our genome. However, it is exactly what we expect to result from natural selection.

"No transitions between Kinds have been observed."

Well, we could waste time with me asking you for a definition of kind and you evading the question for a dozen posts but since we've already been down this road before and since other creationists have decided to do what you won't I'll use the following page from CreationWiki as a guide:

Created kinds

One of the examples used most often by creationists is the kind Canidae or the dog kind which "creation scientists" call a holobaramin in that it descended from one pair supposedly taken on Noah's ark. The baramin diagram for Canidae looks like this:

300px-HoloBaramin.jpg

However, we can show transitional species between dogs and bears which occupy another baramin or created kind, Ursidae.

For starters, there's Cyondictis which is an undifferentiated arctoid species ancestral to both bears and dogs.

latest?cb=20120422114456

It has features intermediate between bears and dogs. On one hand it walked in a plantigrade fashion like a bear (or human), on the other hand it had larger carnassial teeth like a dog and a tail. We have fossils of 14 individuals collected from Germany, France, Spain, UK and China.

Then of course you have the dinosaur problem. Creationists for the most part would like to pretend that dinosaurs didn't exist. They're not listed as a created kind on CreationWiki but it's rather difficult to slot them into any of the existing created kinds they have identified. It also poses problems for the Noah's ark story. For example, it would have been difficult to get two of these on the ark:

Argentinosaurus_BW.jpg

This is Argentinosaurus huinculensis from about 95 million years ago. It weighed approximately 96 tons and was 35m long and 7m high. For reference, the dimensions of the ark are listed in the bible as 137x22.9x13.7m. So with two of these on board, there wouldn't have been room for much else.
    Anyway, I'm getting away from the point. This is about transitional species. Behold, Archaeopteryx lithographica:

focus_archaeopteryx.jpg

This is as textbook an example of a transitional species as you're ever likely to come across. It is intermediate between Mesozoic dinosaurs and modern birds. It has an opposable hallux, an avian trait not shared by other coelurosaurs. It has feathers, a wishbone, a gizzard, a four-chambered heart and an elongated pubis bone directed backwards. It lacks certain modern distinctly avian features such as fused thoracic vertebrae, fused hand bones and some fused foot bones. It also has a number of distinctly saurian features, shared with other coelurosaurs and other dinosaurs but not with most (and in some cases all) birds including no beak, reptilian teeth, a posterior nuchal joint, ventral ribs and an unreduced preorbital fenestra.

Staying with dinosaurs for the moment, we have another transition this time between dinosaurs (specifically archosaurs) and another created kind from CreationWiki, Crocodilia. This is Montealtosuchus:

220px-Montealtossuco.jpg

a species intermediate between archosaurs like Euparkeria:

220px-Euparkeria_BW.jpg

and modern crocodiles. Euparkeria was already itself a transitional species with longer forelimbs than preceding dinosaurs meaning that it wasn't truly bipedal. This means that the forelimbs were held slightly sideways for balance, a feature that is even more pronounced in Montealtosuchus and complete in modern crocodiles.

Finally, of course there's the baramin of humanity, the claim as referenced in my last post that humans were specially created. Therefore, no transitional fossils should exist between humans and earlier apes. Except that they do.

JC, meet Lucy:

Dig092-06-014_Australopeticus_0.jpg?itok=UXoam6zQ

This is Australopithecus afarensis. It is a transitional species between earlier primates and modern humans. It is fully bipedal unlike earlier apes but it still has a small brain (375-500 cm^3). The small brain is one of the ways we can trace human evolution. Firstly, brain size, in general increased over time:

Fossil_homs_cranial_capacity_vs_time_0.img_assist_custom.png

However, there was a limit to how much this could be extended in most apes. One of the features that appeared or developed for the first time in Australopithecus and became a feature of later apes such as chimpanzees and gorillas is an immense bite strength. These apes have extremely strong masticatory muscles which we just don't have (we do have masticatory muscles but nowhere near as strong as other apes). One of the features of apes like gorillas is a pronounced bony ridge in the skull known as the sagittal crest, which acts as an anchor point for these incredibly powerful muscles. The cranial pressure determined by the sagittal crest means that there's a hard limit as to how much the brain can grow. But since humans lack the jaw muscle adaptation our brains were able to get much bigger. We have now identified the gene which is responsible for all this, MYH16. This gene is present in all primates including lemurs and monkeys. However, in humans the gene is non-functional, a vestigial relic of our primate ancestry. This was outlined in a 2004 paper by Stedman et al.

Myosin gene mutation correlates with anatomical changes in the human lineage

However, it doesn't end there. We can also trace our evolution backwards in time, showing that we share a common ancestor with our closest relative, the chimpanzee. We have discussed this point several times before but it bears repeating here.

hum_ape_chrom_2.gif

The image above shows human chromsome 2 next to chimp chromosomes 12 and 13. The fact that we have 46 chromosomes when other apes have 48 was unknown for a long time. Eventually we found that sometime around 5-7 million years ago two chromosomes present separately in chimps fused together. This resulted in the development of a neocentromere (a sequence of DNA which marks the centre of a chromosome) in our chromosome 2. This also shows the many concordant lines of evidence which shows our evolution. It's not just based on morphology or genetics, it's all of them, all telling the same story.

Finally, I should point out that it can be difficult to see transitions when you're only picking a single species intermediate between two higher taxa. However, we also have collections of fossils which show a more fluid transition like this collection of hominid skulls:

hominids2_big.jpg

For anyone who's interested in tracing another series of transitions for themselves, here is a gradual sequence from ancestral land-based arctoids (bear-like creatures) to modern sea-lions:

Pachycynodon -> Enaliarctos -> Neotherium -> Imagotaria -> Pithanotaria -> Thalassoleon -> Otariinae

On a side note JC, unlike the evolutionary tree of life like this:

tree.gif

creationists claim that there are a number (one they're unwilling to commit to) of created kinds with no common ancestry like this:

EE.tree2_0.jpg

So at the root of each of these created kinds is a discontinuity where each of these kinds cannot obviously be related to any other kind. In fact, since there are a number of identified kinds, there must be multiple points of discontinuity. So where are they? Pick any two examples of created kinds which you claim cannot be related and I'll show you why you're wrong.

On another side note, pone2012, this is what I mean when I said the science shows that creationists are wrong.

"Quite true ... most biological systems are irreducibly complex i.e. if any part of the system is removed functionality is destroyed."

Well, no. So far every example put forward by a creationist has been completely debunked (bacterial flagellum, bombardier beetle, the eye, the immune system). Most of this mistake stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of evolution in the first place, a false assumption that a complex system evolves by adding parts together rather than successive iterations of the entire system. Just like above, here's a challenge, pick a biological system which you think is irreducibly complex, explain why it's irreducibly complex and I'll show you why you're wrong.

No new kinds have been observed to arise.

Just like above, we're going to need a definition of kind to properly debate this point. You see, the bible which is creationists source for the notion of kinds in the first place is unbelievably vague:

" Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind”; and it was so. God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good."

Genesis 1:24-25

What exactly comprises the "beasts of the earth" kind or the "creeping things" kind. Does creeping thing include insects, rodents, snakes, lizards, what? And what distinguishes cattle from "beasts of the earth"? The further you go into Genesis the worst the ambiguity problem becomes. In Genesis 7 we see this line:

"they and every beast after its kind, and all the cattle after URL="https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+7&version=NASB#fen-NASB-174l"]l[/URLtheir kind, and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth after its kind, and every bird after its kind, all sorts of birds"

So are birds one kind or multiple kinds. What exactly is a sort? Is it like a genus or family or phylum? Which species belong in which sort?

In any case, since creationists use sexual discontinuity as a border between created kinds, we can see that kind is, for all intents and purposes, analogous to species. Species is the only taxonomic level of any significance. We have observed new species to arise even according to the creationist definition of sexual discontinuity:

Culex pipiens
    in London Underground tunnels: differentiation between surface and subterranean populations

We also have ring species which show the process of speciation in action.

"Humans were specially created (Adam in the city)
    True"

Dealt with above.

"True ... to locally reverse the effects of the second law requires an input of both energy and intelligence applying energy on its own just destroys and increases entropy."

No. In case you missed that class in your physical chemistry module, the second law of thermodynamics only applies in closed systems, which Earth isn't. Also, intelligence has no bearing on thermodynamics, it's not required at all. Of course, the creationist claim about the relationship between evolution and thermodynamics has been directly refuted and the opposite has been shown to be true, not only does thermodynamics not prohibit evolution, evolution is an inevitable result of thermodynamics:

Statistical physics of self-replication

Life as a manifestation of the second law of thermodynamics

The so-called 'Cambrian Explosion' did exactly this.

No, it really didn't. Since we were talking about arthropoda as Simon Conway Morris talks about in The Crucible of Creation, let's start there. Morris claims that arthropoda arose suddenly in the Cambrian period with no precursors. Except he's dead wrong.

For a start, there's Spriggina:

220px-Spriggina_floundersi_-_MUSE.jpg

This dates from the Ediacaran period around 550 million years ago before the Cambrian period. This then developed into species like Anomalocaris:

220px-Anomalocaris_NT_small.jpg

a species intermediate between annelidae and arthropoda and the basal species of Arthropoda. So we can see where arthropods came from and they didn't just appear suddenly.

In addition to Anomalocaris we also have Aysheaia another basal arthropod, Halkieria a proto-brachiopod and Wiwaxia, a precursor of modern molluscs.

Creationists base their claims on either wilful or outright ignorance or hopelessly outdated information. The fossil record is so much richer than any creationist can conceive of and every claim they make about can and has been shown to be dead wrong.

"That the odds of life forming by chance are incredibly small (No Free Lunch)
    ... so incredibly small as to be an impossibilty."

Yes, and as I explained in our previous exchange on this topic, if chance were a relevant factor in abiogenesis that would mean something but it isn't. Chance is not necessary to go from a prebiotic world to an RNA or DNA world. Simple chemistry is all that you need.

Samaris wrote: »
    How about you link to (or list) your specific arguments that give evidence towards creationism and they can be looked at against the observed and observable evidence?

And yeah, as was pointed out in this thread before, they're not at odds specifically, just the actual arguments advanced so far have been pretty much all disproved (unless there's something very new!). If the Creationists would stop sticking their noses into science they refuse to understand (if they did, they'd stop asking the question/demanding that theirs be considered the answer), there'd be even less issue between the positions.

Also, it doesn't matter how many articles you've read if they're not on the right subject. The likelihood of their being on the right topic is extremely low, since apparently you've never heard any of the scientific reasoning against creationist positions.

Sorry Samaris but I am discussing simply the concept of creation or not...

I could care less about individual opinions on the topic, scientific or otherwise...when you have evidence against it... Then we can talk about that ...or vice versa

You nor anyone else have...proving other people's opinions on the topic is worthless because they are no more informed than anyone else

Simply put, you cannot rule out something unless you can investigate it... Since I do not see you, nor anyone else capable of investigating the concept itself presently... By default you,
    Just like everyone else arrive at the following conclusion..which is that you do not know

You cannot show me any evidence we were created

You cannot show me any evidence we were not

As I said earlier, they are not necessarily at odds

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

We similarly cannot prove the earth wasn't created by mice who are trying to get a better answer to the meaning of the universe than 32. Yet because we can't prove it false doesn't give us any reason to believe that it is true. There are an infinite number of things we can imagine but not prove, to suggest any one of them might be true we need some observation based evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry Samaris but I am discussing simply the concept of creation or not...

I could care less about individual opinions on the topic, scientific or otherwise...when you have evidence against it... Then we can talk about that ...or vice versa

You nor anyone else have...proving other people's opinions on the topic is worthless because they are no more informed than anyone else

Simply put, you cannot rule out something unless you can investigate it... Since I do not see you, nor anyone else capable of investigating the concept itself presently... By default you,
    Just like everyone else arrive at the following conclusion..which is that you do not know

Mod: If this is the limit and depth of your argument then you should bow out now. We will not tolerate the 'prove a negative' approach. Come up with some evidence to support your argument.

looksee wrote: »
    Mod: If this is the limit and depth of your argument then you should bow out now. We will not tolerate the 'prove a negative' approach. Come up with some evidence to support your argument.

Perhaps show me what claim I made? I said that there's no way to prove or disprove...at present we have no way to know..is that not a valid viewpoint?

A poster commented that science basically disproves creationists... I stated that I'd like to see where the science is that disproves the concept that we were created...and stated I don't see how the concepts are in conflict...in fact two other posters noted how the ideas are not specifically at odds?

So what evidence do you suggest I provide for that statement? I don't see how I can, but by all means do suggest?

smacl wrote: »
    We similarly cannot prove the earth wasn't created by mice who are trying to get a better answer to the meaning of the universe than 32. Yet because we can't prove it false doesn't give us any reason to believe that it is true. There are an infinite number of things we can imagine but not prove, to suggest any one of them might be true we need some observation based evidence.

42!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

A poster commented that science basically disproves creationists... I stated that I'd like to see where the science is that disproves the concept that we were created...and stated I don't see how the concepts are in conflict...in fact two other posters noted how the ideas are not specifically at odds?
    Oldrnwisr did a very detailed post detailing exactly how creationist claims are very provably false.

I think the problem is that you are not distinguishing between creationists and people who believe in deistic evolution.
    When people here are referring to creationists they mean full on 6000 year old earth, flood, Adam and Eve types.
    These types are very much proven to be wrong in every single way.

Unless you'd like to suggest that the idea of the Earth being 6000 years old, there was only 2 original humans and that a flood wipped out all but 2 of every animal some how has equal weight to the science...

42!

Yikes! My bad :)

Perhaps show me what claim I made? I said that there's no way to prove or disprove...at present we have no way to know..is that not a valid viewpoint?

So what evidence do you suggest I provide for that statement? I don't see how I can, but by all means do suggest?

OK, let's recap for a second because it seems like you and the rest of us are talking across each other.

You originally said in response to Professor Moriarty:
    But all credible scientific evidence shows that Galileo was right and creationists are wrong.

Now it's important to separate the idea of design as a causal argument for the origins of life and the claims made by creationists in defence of their mythology.

As I and others have said, there's no inherent conflict between design and evolution. You could have a compromise idea like theistic evolution where evolution takes place but is guided by a deity according to some cosmic plan.

However, there are two important points here, one of which has already been dealt with by smacl. The first point is that you shouldn't invoke design as an argument unless it's suggested by the evidence. And it isn't. There's no deficiency or gap in the data either in the theory of evolution or abiogenesis that requires a designer to balance the equation or fill the gap. If you want to believe in a designer fine, but if you want to claim that there is a designer and we were created then you'll need evidence indicative of creation in order to convince people of that.

The second and more important point, is that design and naturalistic evolution as ideas unto themselves aren't necessarily at odds. However, the evidence that we have rules out design as a useful argument.

For example, as humans we rely on Vitamin C for good health. Without it we get scurvy and suffer horrible consequences. So why then do humans, unlike most other mammals, not produce vitamin C in their bodies. If we, according to creationists and other design proponents are specially created then why are we missing a feature that a) we need and b) other "lower" animals have been given. Well, here's the thing. We've identified the gene responsible for vitamin C production in mammals, the gulono-γ-lactone oxidase gene which converts glucose to ascorbic acid using an enzyme driven multi-stage process. So why don't we have this gene. Well we do, but in humans and other primates, this gene has been rendered functionless and is now just a pseudogene.
    If we really were designed then why is a non-functional gene in our genome at all. Why design it like that? And why design it to be broken or breakable at all if we need it to be healthy.

Cloning and chromosomal mapping of the human nonfunctional gene for L-gulono-gamma-lactone oxidase, the enzyme for L-ascorbic acid biosynthesis missing in man.

Random nucleotide substitutions in primate nonfunctional gene for l-gulono-γ-lactone oxidase, the missing enzyme in l-ascorbic acid biosynthesis

Immunologic evidence that the gene for L-gulono-gamma-lactone oxidase is not expressed in animals subject to scurvy

Another example of this is in my last post, the MYH16 gene. The fact that that gene is non-functional is one of the reasons why our brains are so much bigger than chimpanzees or gorillas. So why do we have a copy of that gene at all if we were designed?

I can document even more examples if you like but I think you get my point. Humans were definitely not specially created or designed and we can show this through multiple concordant lines of evidence. Now you could push this question back a step or several steps but no matter how far back the tree of life you go we can show how each organism is obviously related to each other organism through common descent. Design is a bad argument because there's tons of evidence that it cannot explain, it lacks explanatory power and it is an unnecessary assumption.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    For example, as humans we rely on Vitamin C for good health. Without it we get scurvy and suffer horrible consequences. So why then do humans, unlike most other mammals, not produce vitamin C in their bodies. If we, according to creationists and other design proponents are specially created then why are we missing a feature that a) we need and b) other "lower" animals have been given. Well, here's the thing. We've identified the gene responsible for vitamin C production in mammals, the gulono-γ-lactone oxidase gene which converts glucose to ascorbic acid using an enzyme driven multi-stage process. So why don't we have this gene. Well we do, but in humans and other primates, this gene has been rendered functionless and is now just a pseudogene.
    If we really were designed then why is a non-functional gene in our genome at all. Why design it like that? And why design it to be broken or breakable at all if we need it to be healthy.
    There is indeed wide-spread genetic entropy in human and other genomes - but this is indicative of common design with a subsequent degrading of the genetic information.
    Quote:-"Modern genomics provides the ability to screen the DNA of a wide variety of organisms to scrutinize broken metabolic pathways. This wealth of data has revealed wide-spread genetic entropy in human and other genomes. Loss of the vitamin C pathway due to deletions in the GULO (L-gulonolactone oxidase) gene has been detected in humans, apes, guinea pigs, bats, mice, rats, pigs, and passerine birds. Contrary to the popularized claims of some evolutionists and neo-creationists, patterns of GULO degradation are taxonomically restricted and fail to support macroevolution. Current research and data reported show that multiple GULO exon losses in human, chimpanzee, and gorilla occurred independently in each taxon and are associated with regions containing a wide variety of transposable element fragments. Thus, they are another example of sequence deletions occurring via unequal recombination associated with transposable element repeats. The 28,800 base human GULO region is only 84% and 87% identical compared to chimpanzee and gorilla, respectively. The 13,000 bases preceding the human GULO gene, which corresponds to the putative area of loss for at least two major exons, is only 68% and 73% identical to chimpanzee and gorilla, respectively. These DNA similarities are inconsistent with predictions of the common ancestry paradigm. Further, gorilla is considerably more similar to human in this region than chimpanzee—negating the inferred order of phylogeny. Taxonomically restricted gene degradation events are emerging as a common theme associated with genetic entropy and systematic discontinuity, not macroevolution."
    https://answersingenesis.org/genetics/human-gulo-pseudogene-evidence-evolutionary-discontinuity-and-genetic-entropy/

Hang on...that source makes a bit of a wild jump by comparing a limited amount of genetic data from a single gene and then uses it to claim that humans are closer to gorillas than chimps based purely on this one section "negating the inferred order of phylogeny" - so the author is both indicating that humans are related to other primates while also claiming that the relation is incorrect based on a single section of a single gene. I don't know how he reconciles that with Genesis, but that's his problem.

That's what I'm getting from that excerpt anyway.

Hang on...that source makes a bit of a wild jump...

That source being Answers in Genesis. From the same Wikipedia page
    Creation science, which is promoted by AiG, is a pseudoscience that "lacks the central defining characteristic of all modern scientific theories".[26][27] Scientific and scholarly organizations, including the National Academy of Sciences, Paleontological Society, Geological Society of America, Australian Academy of Science, and the Royal Society of Canada have issued statements against the teaching of creationism.[28] The National Center for Science Education, a science advocacy group, criticize AiG's promotion of non-science.

Not sure that anyone other than a creationist would consider AiG references credible in a scientific discussion tbh.

• Advertisement

Hang on...that source makes a bit of a wild jump by comparing a limited amount of genetic data from a single gene and then uses it to claim that humans are closer to gorillas than chimps based purely on this one section "negating the inferred order of phylogeny" - so the author is both indicating that humans are related to other primates while also claiming that the relation is incorrect based on a single section of a single gene. I don't know how he reconciles that with Genesis, but that's his problem.

That's what I'm getting from that excerpt anyway.
    The fact that the 'deletions' are more different in Chimanzee than the Gorilla negates the idea that the deletions occurred in a common ancestor ... thereby negating the inferred order of phylogeny and it is consistent with a common design that has had both different and commmon sequences deleted, resulting in sequence deletions via unequal recombination with transposable element repeats.

Advertisement