Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Origin of Specious Nonsense. Twelve years on. Still going. Answer soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

JC, you should marry this woman...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

J C wrote: »
    I think you may be confusing morality i.e. sinfulness with Salvation.
    Jesus Christ came to Save sinners ... not the self-righteous who think that they can Save themselves.
    Everyone sins (or do you think you are an exception?)... in various ways ... and if anyone of us were to be judged by our infinitely Holy God we would most definitely be condemned in justice for our sins.
    ... however God is also infinitely merciful and loving as well ... and if we repent and ask forgiveness ... God will apply His mercy to Save us ... rather than His Justice to condemn us.
    ... and the choice is up to us.

Ok

Carrying on my analogy of the rape victim.

The boy has been raped by a priest. While this has been going on he has begged "God" and "Jesus" to make it stop but it doesn't stop and in fact gets worse. The lad loses ALL faith in "God" and the church and turns his back on both. He has no more belief in "God" and so does not ask for forgivness. Does he now end up in hell when he commits suicide?

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

... about himself!!!:):D

You should re-read the post you're replying to as your reply makes no sense (not that this is unusual for you).

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

sephir0th wrote: »

I think he said that he already had a wife. Possibly kids too, I can't recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Do remember that J C hasn't spoken a word of truth in all his time here, so odds are good that J C is actually a single woman with no children who isn't even all that religious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Folks, enough of the rape stuff. I don't think it's adding anything to anybody's day, nor to the forum.

Thanking youse.

robindch wrote: »
    Folks, enough of the rape stuff. I don't think it's adding anything to anybody's day, nor to the forum.

Thanking youse.

Sorry Robin i am not using the "rape stuff" to be dramatic or cause ripples but because there was systematic abuse by the priests people in this country. If you refuse to let us continue on this vein (for the moment at least) then you are just giving JC the easy out for the hard questions that are being asked of him. I personally (i am sure others too) would like to hear his answer on whether the boy in the story would go straight to hell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

bumper234 wrote: »
    Sorry Robin i am not using the "rape stuff" to be dramatic or cause ripples but because there was systematic abuse by the priests people in this country.
    Rape showed up a few times yesterday and not always in a helpful fashion. I'm not trying to discourage debate about the underlying issue, but just trying to keep the debate as polite as possible -- btw, I wasn't specifically referring to your post above!

robindch wrote: »
    Rape showed up a few times yesterday and not always in a helpful fashion. I'm not trying to discourage debate about the underlying issue, but just trying to keep the debate as polite as possible -- btw, I wasn't specifically referring to your post above!

ok thanks for the clarification, I don't expect JC to answer anyway but i would like to hear his thoughts on what I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

sephir0th wrote: »
    I'm already married ... perhaps you should propose to her ... they say opposites attract!!!!:):D:eek:

• Advertisement

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Fúck sake. Now we have a problem with your shíte when it starts to affect other people just because you believe some utter nonsense. It's obvious by your answer what you'd do.

Had you voted in favour I'd honestly say you weren't doing any harm and to carry on believing what you believe, but the typical religious shíte of 'everyone has to conform to what I believe" sets in. That's not on
    ... If it's not on ... what do you propose to do about it?

I have a problem with many of your ideas ... but I respect your right to hold and express them ... and in a multi-cultural society you also need to be more pluralist in your outlook!!!:(

... as for your apparent demand to effectively dismatle one of the most important pillars of democracy ... the secrecy of the ballot ... I can only condemn your advocacy of such a licence for bullying ... or worse!!!!

... and your intolerant foul language adds nothing and subtracts a great amount from the validity of any argument you may wish to make.

... please be nice.:)

I have a problem with many of your ideas ... but I respect your right to hold and express them ... and in a multi-cultural society you also need to be more pluralist in your outlook!!!:(

... as for your apparent demand to effectively dismatle one of the most important pillars of democracy ... the secrecy of the ballot ... I can only condemn your advocacy of such a licence for bullying ... or worse!!!!

... and your intolerant foul language adds nothing and subtracts a great amount from the validity of any argument you may wish to make.

where has Redzer demanded that the secret ballot at the voting centres be dismantled? He/she didn't, and it isn't nice to suggest otherwise.

You were asked about your personal opinion on a matter and refused to answer the question. Nothing wrong with that, you're quite entitled to do so. But don't climb up on the cross for yet another imagined slight. It doesn't help the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Pfft. Don't turn this around on me, I said I've no problem with what you believe so long as it doesn't affect other people, but judging your reaction it's obvious your vote is going to be influenced your religion -which in turn is going to affect a huge amount of people because you're putting your ideals and beliefs on them. That's what's wrong.

If you didn't vote at all I wouldn't have a problem, but it's not right to vote against something just because it's not what believe and those affect don't even believe or follow your worldview.

It's like me getting to vote on religious rights in this country and saying, "well since I don't believe in anything then nobody is allowed to either and religion shouldn't be allowed anymore". Same exact situation. No moving goalposts.

Ok

Carrying on my analogy of the rape victim.

The boy has been raped by a priest. While this has been going on he has begged "God" and "Jesus" to make it stop but it doesn't stop and in fact gets worse. The lad loses ALL faith in "God" and the church and turns his back on both. He has no more belief in "God" and so does not ask for forgivness. Does he now end up in hell when he commits suicide?
    God is a God of justice ... so He will give everyone, including the young man in your story, the opportunity to be Saved ... but He won't force him.

Did you see the video of the woman whose father was a satanist high priest and horribly abused and raped her when she was a child? ... and she subsequently became a Saved Christian ... and even forgave her father on his deathbed ... and led him in the sinners salvation prayer.
    With God everything is possible ... but we have to co-operate with Him.

koth wrote: »
    where has Redzer demanded that the secret ballot at the voting centres be dismantled? He/she didn't, and it isn't nice to suggest otherwise.

You were asked about your personal opinion on a matter and refused to answer the question. Nothing wrong with that, you're quite entitled to do so. But don't climb up on the cross for yet another imagined slight. It doesn't help the discussion.
    He demanded of me that I publicly state how I would vote in a Referendum ... and threw a 'hissy fit' when I defended to secrecy of the ballot and didn't tell him.

Pfft. Don't turn this around on me, I said I've no problem with what you believe so long as it doesn't affect other people, but judging your reaction it's obvious your vote is going to be influenced your religion -which in turn is going to affect a huge amount of people because you're putting your ideals and beliefs on them. That's what's wrong.
    In a sense, what everybody believes can effect everybody else
    Anything I believe will only affect people, if at all, in a good way.
    If you didn't vote at all I wouldn't have a problem, but it's not right to vote against something just because it's not what believe and those affect don't even believe or follow your worldview.
    There are many things that some people don't believe in, that get voted through, in all countries ... but the right of the people to vote as they please ... is another vital pillar of democracy.

It's like me getting to vote on religious rights in this country and saying, "well since I don't believe in anything then nobody is allowed to either and religion shouldn't be allowed anymore". Same exact situation. No moving goalposts.
    We could be facing just that in our schools, if anti-theists have their way ... like they have had in American Public Schools.

He demanded of me that I publicly state how I would vote in a Referendum ... and threw a 'hissy fit' when I defended to secrecy of the ballot and didn't tell him.

Redzer demanded?
    So would you vote in favour of them in their respective referenda?

That's a question about how you would vote. Not a demand as you've incorrectly stated. There is no ballot as it's a question about your political leanings on some topics. You're just engaging in smoke and mirrors to play the martyr.

Redzer demanded?
    He asked ... and threw a 'hissy fit' when I refused ... which I would call a demand ...
    ... a powerless demand allright ... but a demand non-the-less.

That's a question about how you would vote. Not a demand as you've incorrectly stated. There is no ballot as it's a question about your political leanings on some topics. You're just engaging in smoke and mirrors to play the martyr.
    I'm testing you guys in relation to whether ye are the liberal democrats and promoters of diversity that ye would claim to be, as Secularists ... and so far, if we are to judge by your pronouncements ... ye don't seem to be any of these things ... when it comes to people with whom ye disagree ... like me!!!

He asked ... and threw a 'hissy fit' when I refused ... which I would call a demand ...
    ... a powerless demand allright ... but a demand non-the-less.

I'm testing you guys in relation to whether ye are the liberal democrats and promoters of diversity that ye would claim to be, as Secularists ... and so far, if we are to judge by your pronouncements ... ye don't seem to be any of these things ... when it comes to people with whom ye disagree ... like me!!!

Out of curiosity, do you have a daily misrepresent posters quota?

ok thanks for the clarification, I don't expect JC to answer anyway but i would like to hear his thoughts on what I asked.
    Why did you not expect me to answer?

I always answer your questions ... and everybody elses ... and we have multiple mega-threads ... that have stretched the Boards storage capacity to breaking point ... to prove it :)

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, do you have a daily misrepresent posters quota?
    Not at all.
    Do you really think that ye behave as liberal democrats and promoters of diversity on these threads when it comes to people with whom ye disagree with, like me?

I always answer your questions ... and everybody elses ... and we have multiple mega-threads ... that have stretched the Boards storage capacity to breaking point ... to prove it :)

your previous post contradicts this statement as you clearly state you refused to answer redzers question.

Then why won't you answer my question. I'll rephrase, how to do you stand on those issues, are you for or against.

Just in general. I'm not talking about voting incase you use that to weasel out of things again.

Not at all.
    Do you really think that ye behave as liberal democrats and promoters of diversity on these threads when it comes to people with whom ye disagree with, like me?

yes. You're given freedom to claim bible stories as fact, to ignore evidence almost to the point of soapboxing. I don't see how we could be more liberal.

We won't be liberal enough until we agree with every baseless accusation, misrepresented factoid and outright lie he posts.

Sarky wrote: »
    We won't be liberal enough until we agree with every baseless accusation, misrepresented factoid and outright lie he posts.

I think JC has liberal and lobotomised mixed up :P

Or has yet to grasp that being tolerant doesn't also mean being gullible enough to fall for his flimsy routine.

Then why won't you answer my question. I'll rephrase, how to do you stand on those issues, are you for or against.

Just in general. I'm not talking about voting incase you use that to weasel out of things again.
    I have already answered your question on how I stand on these issues when I said :-
    "I wouldn't do any of these things myself ... but if others want do them that is their business.

Jesus came to Save sinners ... and He respects people's free-will ... and so do I."

Sarky wrote: »
    Tolerance isn't about agreeing ... its about respecting the differences that separates us ... and all this foul language and abusive comments directed against me ... and indeed any other person who has the temerity to express an alternative opinion, isn't tolerant or indeed respectful of diversity ... to say nothing about encouraging it.
    ... and unfortunately my allegation isn't baseless ... even in the above post by you, you are calling me a liar ... when I'm telling the truth.

Just because somebody expresses a different opinion doesn't make them a liar ... and accusing them of lying is a serious form of personal abuse.

If I'm mistaken about anything, please point out my mistake ... or if there are any weaknesses in my ideas, please point out the weakness ... and leave the personal insults at home with the dog.:)

• Advertisement

I have already answered your question on these issues when I said
    "I wouldn't do any of these things myself ... but if others want do them that is their business.

Jesus came to Save sinners ... and He respects people's free-will ... and so do I."

Ok, so I take that to assume you wouldn't stand in their way, ie, wouldn't support any legislation that would contradict that and negatively impact them. Would I be correct?

Advertisement