Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Origin of Specious Nonsense. Twelve years on. Still going. Answer soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Ok, so I take that to assume you wouldn't stand in their way, ie, wouldn't support any legislation that would contradict that and negatively impact them. Would I be correct?
    I have said what I have said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

J C wrote: »

Vague answers like this are unwelcome and pointless.

Jernal wrote: »
    There is nothing vage about what I have said ... and I'm quite entitled to comment ... or not to comment on any issue, as I choose to ... just like you guys are also free to do so.

... and what I have said and have no wish to expand on is "I wouldn't do any of these things myself ... but if others want do them that is their business.

Jesus came to Save sinners ... and He respects people's free-will ... and so do I."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

So then no. Ok, contradictory, but grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ok, so I take that to assume you wouldn't stand in their way, ie, wouldn't support any legislation that would contradict that and negatively impact them. Would I be correct?
    There is nothing vage about what I have said

You were asked a direct question and you answered with a non-answer. "I have said what I have said". What did you say? The poster was asking for clarity and you just provided a circular response that would reinforce that lack clarity. This is not constructive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Tolerance isn't about agreeing ... its about respecting the differences that separates us ... and all this foul language and abusive comments directed against me ... and indeed any other person who has the temerity to express an alternative opinion, isn't tolerant or indeed respectful of diversity ... to say nothing about encouraging it.
    ... and unfortunately my allegation isn't baseless ... even in the above post by you, you are calling me a liar ... when I'm telling the truth.

Just because somebody expresses a different opinion doesn't make them a liar ... and accusing them of lying is a serious form of personal abuse.

If I'm mistaken about anything, please point out my mistake ... or if there are any weaknesses in my ideas, please point out the weakness ... and leave the personal insults at home with the dog.:)

You compare people who disagree with you to nazis. Given that you think personal abuse shouldn't come into things, the only conclusion I can draw is that you believe calling someone a liar is a form of abuse, while calling someone a nazi isn't.

There we go folks, in J C's world, liars are worse than nazis. As J C has proven himself a liar, unless I'm making an error in my conclusions, J C is by his own admission worse than hitler.

You compare people who disagree with you to nazis. Given that you think personal abuse shouldn't come into things, the only conclusion I can draw is that you believe calling someone a liar is a form of abuse, while calling someone a nazi isn't.

There we go folks, in J C's world, liars are worse than nazis. As J C has proven himself a liar, unless I'm making an error in my conclusions, J C is by his own admission worse than hitler.
    I have called nobody Nazis ... I did post the comments of Ben Stein on the ID controversy where he, as a Jew who lost relatives in the Holocaust, has drawn parallells between the suppression of the Jews in the 1930's and the erection of the Berlin Wall with the current situation in relation to ID research.

You were asked a direct question and you answered with a non-answer. "I have said what I have said". What did you say? The poster was asking for clarity and you just provided a circular response that would reinforce that lack clarity. This is not constructive.
    The poster was asking for clarity on how I would vote in a Referendum ... and I had already refused to make public how I vote (on the important democratic principle of the confidentiality of the ballot box) ... and I was pointing out this fact in response to being repeatedly asked for an answer as to how I vote when I had already said firmly that I wouldn't answer such questions.

This isn't being obstructionist ... its defending a very important democratic principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

The poster was asking for clarity on how I would vote in a Referendum ... and I had already refused to make public how I vote (on the important democratic principle of the confidentiality of the ballot box) ... and I was pointing out this fact in response to being repeatedly asked for an answer as to how I vote when I had already said firmly that I wouldn't answer such questions.

This isn't being obstructionist ... its defending a very important democratic principle.

There is nothing to stop one from revealing ones voting preference in a secret ballot: for example, exit polls are commonly found in democratic countries, with no infringement on democratic principles.

If you do not wish to reveal how you would vote in a referendum, even if it be on an anonymous forum like boards.ie, that's entirely your business, but you must realize that you run the risk of making yourself look childish or obstructionist oh what's the point why am I even writing this I'm going to make myself a coffee and look at cute pictures of pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

God is a God of justice ... so He will give everyone, including the young man in your story, the opportunity to be Saved ... but He won't force him.

How does he give him the opportunity to be saved? The boy has turned his back on "God" which by your reckoning is a mortal sin and so a one way ticket to hellfire and damnation. Are you saying "God" holds some sort of interview process to see if someone should be allowed into heaven?

Did you see the video of the woman whose father was a satanist high priest and horribly abused and raped her when she was a child? ... and she subsequently became a Saved Christian ... and even forgave her father on his deathbed ... and led him in the sinners salvation prayer.
    With God everything is possible ... but we have to co-operate with Him.

But she had faith and she lived, she had forgivness, and therefore in your eyes she is going straight to heaven If she had decided to turn her back on "God" and commit suicide would she go to heaven? What of her Father would he be heading off to heaven or would he be on a fast train to hell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

How about those propositions JC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

In all honesty JC's whole persona on this forum is unwelcome and pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Another "new" thread. I can't keep up...

bumper234 wrote: »
    How does he give him the opportunity to be saved? The boy has turned his back on "God" which by your reckoning is a mortal sin and so a one way ticket to hellfire and damnation. Are you saying "God" holds some sort of interview process to see if someone should be allowed into heaven?
    ... all sin is serious to an infinitely holy God. The concepts of 'mortal' and 'venial' sin are Roman Catholic inventions.

The young man will have the opportunity to be Saved ... if he refuses God will not force him ... no more than He will force anybody else, to be Saved.
    But she had faith and she lived, she had forgivness, and therefore in your eyes she is going straight to heaven If she had decided to turn her back on "God" and commit suicide would she go to heaven? What of her Father would he be heading off to heaven or would he be on a fast train to hell?
    Both herself and her father appear to be Saved.
    It goes to show that even being horribly abused and raped doesn't always cause people to reject God and Salvation.

... all sin is serious to an infinitely holy God. The concepts of 'mortal' and 'venial' sin are Roman Catholic inventions.

The young man will have the opportunity to be Saved ... if he refuses God will not force him ... no more than He will force anybody else, to be Saved.

Both herself and her father appear to be Saved.
    It goes to show that even being horribly abused and raped doesn't always cause people to reject God and Salvation.

So there is a chance that the young man in my story could bump Into the man who abused him and drove him to end it all? That's some concept of heaven you have.

pauldla wrote: »
    There is nothing to stop one from revealing ones voting preference in a secret ballot: for example, exit polls are commonly found in democratic countries, with no infringement on democratic principles.
    The secrecy of the ballot is a major empowerment of the electorate ... and a major bulwark against bullying and discrimination where somebody doesn't vote the way somebody else wants them to.
    Exit polls can potentially infringe the secrecy of the ballot if they are conducted in public or make the person being polled feel compelled to reveal how they voted.
    pauldla wrote: »
    If you do not wish to reveal how you would vote in a referendum, even if it be on an anonymous forum like boards.ie, that's entirely your business, but you must realize that you run the risk of making yourself look childish or obstructionist oh what's the point why am I even writing this I'm going to make myself a coffee and look at cute pictures of pets.
    The secrecy of the ballot is a very important principle that is being increasingly eroded and compromised by both pre-vote polls and exit polls.

So there is a chance that the young man in my story could bump Into the man who abused him and drove him to end it all? That's some concept of heaven you have.
    ... just like a mother who aborted her unborn child or a person who divorced another person may also meet each other in Heaven.
    As they will all be Saved, forgiveness and friendship will rule supreme in their spiritual relationships.

... just like a mother who aborted her unborn child or a person who divorced another person may also meet each other in Heaven.
    As they will all be Saved, forgiveness and friendship will rule supreme in their spiritual relationships.

How could you meet an aborted 'child'? It wouldn't even be developed enough to speak or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

How could you meet an aborted 'child'? It wouldn't even be developed enough to speak or anything

And now I'm picturing a heaven full of aborted foetuses (foetai?)

aint-nobody-got-time-for-that.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Obviously the soul is already fully developed, and just as old people become young again in heaven, babies can become grown ups in heaven.
    That's the cool thing about magic... it's magic!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we are, to a very large extent, our memories.
    so what would someone who never had memories, or has none left, be like? be they a miscarried/aborted child, someone profoundly mentally handicapped, or someone suffering from advanced alzheimers?

Absolam wrote: »
    Obviously the soul is already fully developed, and just as old people become young again in heaven, babies can become grown ups in heaven.
    That's the cool thing about magic... it's magic!

Sorry I forgot what I was talking about. Need less logic, need moar magic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Guys... guys... you've got it wrong.
    You don't meet anyone in heaven, there's no time to chit chat, all you do is sing a single note of praise to the Lord... you don't care thay your relatives are in hell, you only have one emotion or thought and that's sheer awe at the glory of God.
    You don't get to hang out with famous people or play ping pong with jesus

kiffer wrote: »
    You don't meet anyone in heaven, there's no time to chit chat, all you do is sing a single note of praise to the Lord... you don't care thay your relatives are in hell, you only have one emotion or thought and that's sheer awe at the glory of God.

Well if there is no Jeebus ping pong then i am out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

WTF? Talk about emotional abuse! The concept of an aborted foetus in heaven has so much wrong with it and not just because there ain't no such thing as heaven. As for divorced people meeting in heaven, I presume there was a good earthly reason for them divorcing and it's a tad inappropriate to say those reasons wouldn't still be there after they enter 'heaven'. Does everyone lose their critical faculties when entering this magical realm?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Well if there is no Jeebus ping pong then i am out.

We really need to send this thread to the makers of South Park, there's material in the last couple of pages alone for a whole new movie. Comedy gold!

smacl wrote: »
    We really need to send this thread to the makers of South Park, there's material in the last couple of pages alone for a whole new movie. Comedy gold!

Royalties for boards beers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

What? My years of ping pong practicing were for nothing?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    What? My years of ping pong practicing were for nothing?!

I know... but on the plus side Jesus would probably have done all those annoying trick shots.
    I hear he plays a mean game of wine pong...

• Advertisement

we are, to a very large extent, our memories.
    so what would someone who never had memories, or has none left, be like? be they a miscarried/aborted child, someone profoundly mentally handicapped, or someone suffering from advanced alzheimers?
    In this world our mortal memories and experiences may seem important and in many cases, subject to physical and environmental limitations ... but our immortal spirits are not subject to such limitations and they will have all of the experiences that eternity will provide in a Heaven that is an amazingly beautiful and intellectually stimulating place.

Advertisement