Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Origin of Specious Nonsense. Twelve years on. Still going. Answer soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

I disagree entirely on this view.
    Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so dull, so useless, so miserable that nobody has ever ventured to describe a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have described a day at the seaside

-> George Bernard Shaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

kiffer wrote: »
    I know... but on the plus side Jesus would probably have done all those annoying trick shots.
    I hear he plays a mean game of wine pong...
    ... he certainly has an excellent vintage wine cellar!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

J C wrote: »
    In this world our mortal memories and experiences may seem important and in many cases, subject to physical and environmental limitations ... but our immortal spirits are not subject to such limitations and they will have all of the experiences that eternity will provide in a Heaven that is an amazingly beautiful and intellectually stimulating place.

But none of this will matter one iota as you have already stated that we will be too enraptured by "Gods" awesomeness to notice anything else around us.

Quatermain wrote: »
    I disagree entirely on this view.

Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so dull, so useless, so miserable that nobody has ever ventured to describe a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have described a day at the seaside
    -> George Bernard Shaw.
    You're quite entitled to disagree.

Shaw was obviously talking about a Heaven of his own invention ...

1 Corinthians 2:9

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Doesn't sound 'inane, dull or miserable' to me.

You're right. It just sounds vague and unknowable. It sounds like it could be a row of iron maidens and a sea of molten iron. It could be dragons spewing chemical toxins into the air. It could even be a cheap hack's way of escaping having to do any form of descriptive writing. It sounds, in short, like an easy out.

• Advertisement

bumper234 wrote: »
    But none of this will matter one iota as you have already stated that we will be too enraptured by "Gods" awesomeness to notice anything else around us.
    That will be part of it ... but we will also be in Paradise with everything that this word implies.

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

You're quite entitled to disagree.

Shaw was obviously talking about a Heaven of his own invention ...

1 Corinthians 2:9

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Doesn't sound 'inane, dull or miserable' to me.

That's so vague that it could mean that could be eternally experiencing the Big Bang on a loop.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Quatermain wrote: »
    You're right. It just sounds vague and unknowable. It sounds like it could be a row of iron maidens and a sea of molten iron. It could be dragons spewing chemical toxins into the air. It could even be a cheap hack's way of escaping having to do any form of descriptive writing. It sounds, in short, like an easy out.
    It sounds like a promise that Paradise will be an amazing place.

What you describe is an aspect of Hell.

It sounds like a promise that Paradise will be an amazing place.

What you describe is an aspect of Hell.

Weird, then, how much more apparently detailed the place of punishment is when compared to the place of reward, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

That will be part of it ... but we will also be in Paradise with everything that this word implies.

How will we know this if our one and only eternal thought is ZOMG IT'S GOD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

bumper234 wrote: »
    How will we know this if our one and only eternal thought is ZOMG IT'S GOD!
    And don't forget, there wil apparently be no free will on account of bad behaviour being so offensive to god, in addition to being a complete prick it seem that he is also a bit sentsitive.

So basically heaven will be an eternal hell of brainwashed, zombie sycophants worshipping a deity with the personality traits of some kind of mental African dictator, typical of the bad guy cast in many movies.

Awesome.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

In this world our mortal memories and experiences may seem important and in many cases, subject to physical and environmental limitations ... but our immortal spirits are not subject to such limitations and they will have all of the experiences that eternity will provide in a Heaven that is an amazingly beautiful and intellectually stimulating place.

I don't like the sound of your idea of heaven. Can I stay in limbo instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

koth wrote: »
    That's so vague that it could mean that could be eternally experiencing the Big Bang on a loop.

Or *shudder* IACGMOOH!

MrPudding wrote: »
    And don't forget, there wil apparently be no free will on account of bad behaviour being so offensive to god, in addition to being a complete prick it seem that he is also a bit sentsitive.

So basically heaven will be an eternal hell of brainwashed, zombie sycophants worshipping a deity with the personality traits of some kind of mental African dictator, typical of the bad guy cast in many movies.

Awesome.

MrP
    I think you are conflating Heaven and Hell and confusing Satan and God.:)

IT-Guy wrote: »
    WTF? Talk about emotional abuse! The concept of an aborted foetus in heaven has so much wrong with it and not just because there ain't no such thing as heaven.
    Unborn children that die are also given the choice of being Saved under God's justice.
    IT-Guy wrote: »
    As for divorced people meeting in heaven, I presume there was a good earthly reason for them divorcing and it's a tad inappropriate to say those reasons wouldn't still be there after they enter 'heaven'. Does everyone lose their critical faculties when entering this magical realm?
    Divorced people meet regularly in this World, especially when there have children ... so it shouldn't be much of a problem saying 'hi' if and when they meet in Heaven.

I don't like the sound of your idea of heaven. Can I stay in limbo instead?
    Only one problem ... Limbo doesn't exist ... except as a dance.:D
    ... so the choice is one of two ... Heaven or Hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Unborn children that die are also given the choice of being Saved under God's justice.

Divorced people meet regularly in this World, when there have children ... so it shouldn't be much of a problem saying 'hi' if and when they meet in Heaven.

So little fetuses, that look like little dinosaurs in the early weeks btw, not only can talk and float around, but can decide to be saved or not?

Alright, now you have to be pulling my dick with that one. I wouldn't expect anyone to honestly believe that unless you lacked a chromosome.

Only one problem ... it doesn't exist.
    ... so the choice is one of two ... Heaven or Hell.

Yes, that's the one that doesn't exist. Yes.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    So little fetuses, that look like little dinosaurs in the early weeks btw, not only can talk and float around, but can decide to be saved or not?
    Not in their temporal state ... but their spirits are eternal ... and ageless, just like the spirits of adult Humans ... and they are therefore equally capable of deciding to be Saved ... or not ... at the point of death.

Not in their temporal state ... but their spirits are eternal ... and ageless, just like the spirits of adult Humans ... and they are therefore equally capable of deciding to be Saved ... or not ... at the point of death.

Ok, so what are spirits made of? This is the universe, everything is something, and everything is explainable given enough time to do so.

So these spirits are invisible. Ok, so that means that they must be some form of invisible energy to us, like light or radiation.
    So let's say it is light in a spectrum you can't see, how does this light organise itself to replicate a fully functional human brain? Light actually doesn't possess the ability to assemble itself that way at all, so that's impossible and rules that straight out. Same for radiation.

So what's the answer? What are souls, what are they made of and where do they go?

NB -Magic will not be accepted as a valid answer.

• Advertisement

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Ok, so what are spirits made of? This is the universe, everything is something, and everything is explainable given enough time to do so.

So these spirits are invisible. Ok, so that means that they must be some form of invisible energy to us, like light or radiation.
    So let's say it is light in a spectrum you can't see, how does this light organise itself to replicate a fully functional human brain? Light actually doesn't possess the ability to assemble itself that way at all, so that's impossible and rules that straight out. Same for radiation.

So what's the answer? What are souls, what are they made of and where do they go?
    The spiritual world is something akin to a parallel universe with its own unique set of laws and phenomenon.

... and the question isn't one of how some kind of energy produces a human brain and the consciousness therein ... the real question is how a material brain produces consciousness and personality.

The spiritual world is something akin to a parallel universe with its own unique set of laws and phenomenon.

... and the question isn't one of how some kind of energy produces a human brain and the consciousness therein ... the real question is how a material brain produces consciousness and personality.

Nah, a real question is you proving all that nonsense first. You're the one making claims of it being real, the issue of proof lies with you. Now prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I think you are conflating Heaven and Hell and confusing Satan and God.:)

No. There is no conflation or confusion on my part.

MrP

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

so who created God and the spiritual realm?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Who created satan and led to, dun dun dun, the "Fall of Man"?

And, more importantly, why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

So an aborted foetus is now an unborn child? Praise for your ability to conflate, nil points for your understanding of embryology.
    Divorced people meet regularly in this World, especially when there have children ... so it shouldn't be much of a problem saying 'hi' if and when they meet in Heaven.

C'mon JC, that's a step down in tone from them being saved and all friendly and forgiving with each other in a fluffy bunny full of hugs Heaven TM.

I think you're miffed at the idea of people divorcing as it goes against your biblical views so it's more soothing for you to believe they'll be able to see how they were wrong once they're 'saved' in Heaven ©.

God is eternal in both directions (always was and always will be) ... and He created the spiritual realm.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Who created satan and led to, dun dun dun, the "Fall of Man"?

And, more importantly, why?
    Satan was created by God ... and he decided to rebel against God using his free-will ... and now he has been granted his wish to be eternally separated from God in his very own Hell.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

God is eternal in both directions (always was and always will be) ... and He created the spiritual realm.
    Where did he live before he created the spiritual realm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Satan was created by God ... and he decided to rebel against God using his free-will ... and now he has been granted his wish to be eternally separated from God in his very own Hell.

Your religion is like a soap-opera JC. Are you the head honcho like? Cos you're definitely writing it yourself. Many followers? I believe you need around the 60 mark to be an official cult, but it was a friend told me that 20 years ago, when he planned starting one, so that could be completely wrong. Anyhow, can't wait for the next episode! This sh*t is pure comedy gold, like star trek (sorry trekkies...no offence).

Advertisement